Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Turkish GP

1st Practise has already run.
I bring you the results:
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIRE TIME
1. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.315
2. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari 1:28.777
3. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:28.785
4. Alexander Wurz Austria Williams-Cosworth 1:28.959
5. Anthony Davidson British Honda 1:29.193
6. Pedro de la Rosa Spain McLaren-Mercedes 1:29.376
7. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-BMW 1:29.780
8. Sebastian Vettel Germany Sauber-BMW 1:29.964
9. Robert Doornbos Netherlands Red Bull-Ferrari 1:30.391
10. Neel Jani Switzerland Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:30.576
11. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:30.838
12. Giorgio Mondini Switzerland MF1-Toyota 1:30.846
13. Scott Speed United States Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:31.416
14. Christijan Albers Netherlands MF1-Toyota 1:31.475
15. Tiago Monteiro Portugal MF1-Toyota 1:31.566
16. Franck Montagny France Super Aguri-Honda 1:31.814
17. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:31.904
18. Sakon Yamamoto Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:32.212
19. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:32.497

Good to see Montagny back. And Vettel made his debut.

Btw, I would have expected a team like Midland to have contracted a Turkish driver for a demo or as 3rd driver, like last year !!!!

Comments

• Practise 2:
    1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Sauber-BMW 1:28.091
    2. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:28.164
    3. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:28.506
    4. Anthony Davidson British Honda 1:28.598
    5. Ralf Schumacher Germany Toyota 1:28.614
    6. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari 1:28.819
    7. Robert Doornbos Netherlands Red Bull-Ferrari 1:28.848
    8. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1:29.042
    9. Pedro de la Rosa Spain McLaren-Mercedes 1:29.112
    10. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:29.214
    11. Giorgio Mondini Switzerland MF1-Toyota 1:29.719
    12. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault 1:29.741
    13. Neel Jani Switzerland Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:29.858
    14. Scott Speed United States Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:29.890
    15. Jarno Trulli Italy Toyota 1:30.006
    16. Franck Montagny France Super Aguri-Honda 1:30.491
    17. Robert Kubica Poland Sauber-BMW 1:30.502
    18. Giancarlo Fisichella Italy Renault 1:30.504
    19. Alexander Wurz Austria Williams-Cosworth 1:30.509
    20. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:30.551
    21. Mark Webber Australia Williams-Cosworth 1:30.775
    22. Christian Klien Austria Red Bull-Ferrari 1:30.889
    23. Nico Rosberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1:31.015
    24. Takuma Sato Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:31.091
    25. Sakon Yamamoto Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:31.316
    26. Tiago Monteiro Portugal MF1-Toyota 1:31.519
    27. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-BMW 1:31.526
    28. David Coulthard Britain Red Bull-Ferrari 1:31.540
    29. Christijan Albers Netherlands MF1-Toyota 1:32.102
  • I missed the stuff on SpeedTV that they spoke of Minardi and Emmet Quigley. Did anyone catch what they said?
  • I should have it recorded, finding time to watch for it is the hard part. School semester started and I'm swamped now.
  • Today's practise:
    1. Michael Schumacher Germany Ferrari 1:27.203
    2. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault 1:27.924
    3. Giancarlo Fisichella Italy Renault 1:27.963
    4. Robert Kubica Poland Sauber-BMW 1:27.964
    5. Nick Heidfeld Germany Sauber-BMW 1:28.151
    6. Jenson Button Britain Honda 1:28.190
    7. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:28.266
    8. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda 1:28.359
    9. Kimi Raikkonen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.368
    10. Christian Klien Austria Red Bull-Ferrari 1:28.830
    11. Jarno Trulli Italy Toyota 1:28.861
    12. Scott Speed United States Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:28.861
    13. Pedro de la Rosa Spain McLaren-Mercedes 1:29.034
    14. Mark Webber Australia Williams-Cosworth 1:29.069
    15. Nico Rosberg Germany Williams-Cosworth 1:29.176
    16. David Coulthard Britain Red Bull-Ferrari 1:29.357
    17. Ralf Schumacher Germany Toyota 1:29.374
    18. Vitantonio Liuzzi Italy Toro Rosso-Cosworth 1:29.426
    19. Christijan Albers Netherlands MF1-Toyota 1:29.668
    20. Sakon Yamamoto Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:29.881
    21. Tiago Monteiro Portugal MF1-Toyota 1:29.915
    22. Takuma Sato Japan Super Aguri-Honda 1:30.151
  • They must've been desperate; did they lose picture or something?
  • bravo massa. I must admit it, the guy is better than what i've always thought. fernando was great today. it's always nice to see ferrari winning when schumi is not the first
  • Another great race, the second consecitive.
    Let's hope for a hattrick with 3 great races!!!

BUT...............today's GP2 race was even better as the F1 race!!!!
    Hamilton is really something !
  • Tomorrows Headline in the paper should read....

Massa Dampens Renaults Constructors Championship hopes?
  • Originally posted by Minardus
    Another great race, the second consecitive.
    Let's hope for a hattrick with 3 great races!!!

BUT...............today's GP2 race was even better as the F1 race!!!!
    Hamilton is really something !
    minardus you are right. Quig, Murph and I can only hope Monza will be as good! But........... yes Hamilton is very special and thats coming from an Irishman to a Brit! I hope we see him in F1 next year.
  • Agreed; Lewis in GP2 was mega this morning. That race + Silverstone means he MUST be in F1 next year. He showed the big boys how to do it.

Great F1 race; well done Ferdy.

PS thanks Ger - that must've hurt! (Its good to hear again the Brazilian anthem at a motor racing circuit but even better to hear mine!)
  • Two first time winners in two races, and both are deserving. I really hope Massa keeps his Ferrari drive next season, although it seems unlikely, because he's done a very good job.
  • I couldn't understand why ferrari favoured massa though instead of schumy when it is schumy who is battling for the championship, I have nothing against Massa but Schumy got a great disadvantage at the safety car's lap pit stop.

Alonso was great today, he did superb when all was saying it was a ferrari one-two day. He managed to finish ahead of Schumy. Schumy was not in his best , another mistake cost him 3 seconds.
  • Why does Schumy always need help. He disadvantaged himself in Hungary and again in Turkey. Simply, Massa didn't put a foot wrong and deserved it. Pity he was biding his time at the end just in case Schumy got past Alonso.

Some great overtaking, maybe a "push to pass" button like A1 would be a good idea. I know they can already change mapping as we saw with Rubens over Webber. But something more controlled.
  • The teams generally have their own "push to pass" button installed in the car.
  • Face it. Turkey is a great track. The shame is that you have to get someone like Tilke to design it so that you can overtake, but it still makes for a great race.

How can you say enough about Alonso's ability to hold his nerve in a slower car? He actually made the Swervemaker make the mistakes.

Not since the times of the great Elio De Blockeris has someone been able to hold position for so long against a patently faster car. The difference is that Alonso didn't even look like he was blocking. Easing the pressure through turn eight each lap certainly helped though.
  • re: Massa. Such a shame, on his day of days, that he has to think about Someone Else - why should he even to have to comment on that during his slow down lap?

Brawn admitted that not even they thought they could get away with MS overtaking Massa in the pitlane during the safety period!
  • am i the only one who didn't expect massa to win a race anytime soon?

i'm gobsmacked, very well done!
  • Stunning stuff by Alonso! Outstanding. How many other drivers on the grid have the ability to race in a palpably slower car.
    I'm afraid having seen Rosberg, I think GP2 results are heavily dependent on which team one's racing for. As such I rerve judgement on Hamilton until he's racing in the F1 cauldron.
    Personally I'm looking forward to young Bruno Senna's elevation to the ranks.
  • Telstar - can I get a copy of that bit on SPEED if possible?
  • Hope any one you know or any of our friends remain safe...

Fresh blast hits Turkish resorts

The cause of the blast is being investigated by police
    Three people have been killed and at least 20 others have been injured in a blast at a resort in southern Turkey.
    The explosion happened close to shops and restaurants in the heart of the popular Mediterranean city of Antalya.

The blast came hours after three bombs hit another coastal resort, Marmaris, injuring at least 21 people. Another blast in Istanbul wounded six people.

Meanwhile, Turkish police arrested a man they said was plotting a further bomb attack in the city of Izmir.

The Turkish state news agency said the man was from the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) separatist group.

It said other people were also detained for helping the suspect and that plastic explosives were seized in the operation.

Nervous atmosphere

The cause of Monday's blast in Antalya is not yet known, but the authorities were said to be looking for two suspects.

Meanwhile, a Kurdish militant group with links to the banned PKK has claimed responsibility for Sunday's blasts in Marmaris and Istanbul.

"We had warned before, Turkey is not a safe country. Tourists should not come to Turkey," the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (Tak) said on its website.

The Turkish economy is heavily reliant on tourism, which Kurdish separatists have repeatedly threatened to target.

ATTACKS IN TURKEY

27 August: 21 injured in three blasts in Marmaris
    27 August: Six wounded in blast in Istanbul
    25 June: 4 killed, 25 injured in southern resort of Antalya
    16 April: 31 injured in Bakirkoy district of Istanbul
    31 March: 1 killed, 13 injured in Istanbul's Kocamustafapasa district
    9 February: 1 killed, 16 injured at internet cafe in Istanbul's Bayrampasa district
    18 November: One killed and 11 injured in the Beylikduzu district of Istanbul

In pictures: Turkey blasts
    Turkey bomb blasts timeline

The explosion happened in a busy shopping area in Antalya in the late afternoon.

Police spokesman Akif Aktug said the blast occurred between two mopeds parked in front of a municipal building, according to Turkish news agency Anatolia.

The force of the blast ripped off the building's facade, badly damaged nearby shops and restaurants and sparked a fire.

Glass and shrapnel was sent flying into nearby passers-by.

Mr Aktug said 20 people had been wounded, adding that this number did not include those who had suffered light injuries.

Two Russians, four Israelis and a Jordanian were said to be among the injured, although one government official said they were not among those receiving hospital treatment.

One French tourist told the AFP news agency that the wounded were being treated on the spot. Some were bleeding heavily with wounds to the face.

The area around the scene was cordoned off as the police investigation got under way.

Whatever the cause of the blast, this latest incident has only added to an already nervous atmosphere, the BBC's Sarah Rainsford says.

Wave of bombings

Most of those injured in Marmaris - including 10 Britons - were on a minibus ferrying local people and holidaymakers along the main street.

Istanbul was also hit by a bomb attack on Sunday night, when a roadside device exploded injuring six Turkish nationals.

Both Marmaris and Antalya are popular with European and Russian holidaymakers.

The attacks are the latest in a wave of similar bombings in Turkey in recent years, blamed on either Kurdish separatists, Islamic militants or left-wing extremists.

Four people - including three foreigners - were killed in an explosion in Antalya in June. Initial investigations suggest a gas canister exploded, but doubt was cast over whether it had been an accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5293070.stm