Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

McLaren's new image

Ron has stated that with the introduction of Vodaphone as title sponsor and the signing of Alonso McLaren will undergo an image transformation. My theory is that the McLaren will look like a cross between the classic Phillip Morris cars of the 80's and 90's and Bernd Schneiders DTM car. Any thoughts?

Comments

• No, not really. Could not care less actually.
  • Fair enough. I'm just hoping that after all the spiel that Ron is giving this "new image" for Mclaren there is cool looking car at the end of it and not just another red & white Honda/ Toyota look-a-like.
  • errm what does bernd schneider's car look like?

nothing will ever be able to match mclaren's marlboro car from the early till mid 90s
  • Thanks for the pics frenkie. Judging by those it looks like the McLaren could look like a Ferrari. :D
  • Think itl be like this???

[Edited on 19-10-06 by Ste]
  • ste- I think I have a bad email for you - drop me a line at minardiusa"at"mac.com if you would.
  • I could be so very wrong on this, but....I thought that when Uncle Ron talked about a new "image" for McLaren he ment much more than a new paint job........ out with the cold, sterile "McLaren brand"...... not going completely overboard to a warm and fuzzy Mclaren...... but making McLaren actually appear human ( an according to many who have worked at Mclaren, they are one of the best teams to work for ). Add to all this there are the consistent rumours of Uncle Ron selling the team to Mercedes in the next 5 years....... and I would think that Mercedes would like to see the team portrayed as the Silver Arrows but with more warmth as well...... anyway, will we be seeing a combo of Vodafone red with teutonic silver ? Next year could be REALLY confusing.......Ferrari RED......Toyota RED and white...Renault RED, yellow and white.... and McLaren RED and ????..... What I would like to see is the McLaren Orange brought back with some German Silver....but that will never happen......

I don't see McLaren Vodafone replicating the old Marlboro paint scheme that has been around since the early 1970's....

BRM at the Glen in 1973 with Niki

McLarens.......... at the Glen with Emmo and at Mosport with "Hunt the Shunt"

even Alfa gets into the act..... with Mario...this becomes the "signature" Marlboro paint scheme....

and back to McLaren in the early 80's.....

ciao y'all
  • In regards to all things "Current" McLaren I still refer to Ger's tag line.......
  • "Dennis came storming by my pit wall at Mugello. If I wasn't held back then perhaps there wouldn't be a Ron Dennis now."
    Gian Carlo Minardi
  • According to last weeks autosport. The new McLaren colour scheme will be........

wait for it........

Exactly the same as this year but with red sidepods.:o

[Edited on 14-11-06 by steamdrivenhammer]
  • it's all the silver arrows stuff they need to consider because of Mercedes I guess
  • Here is a spy shot with the new Vodafone livery, and notice they have Bridgstone boots on already.

• wow, where did you get that from 'Roo?
  • That picture was the one shown in last weeks Autosport.
  • It was in Marca (Spanish sports paper) last week.
    But, ............................ this livery was only for a promotional video shoot for Vodaphone!!
  • Yes, McLaren was testing at Jerez with de la Rosa and Hamilton!

• And what's the new "image" of McLaren after Hungaroring?

I think ROn should be used to manage two champions (after Prost-Lauda and Senna-Prost, the case of Hakkinen-Coulthard was different as Coulthard always acted as a "Berger")
    And he always managed to win, but that was because in 1984, 1988 and 1989 competition was limited to mcLaren duo.

In this case, instead, if he does not take a clear position, he risks his two drivers to be beaten at the end by someone else (as it happened to Williams in 1981 and 1986).

After Budapest, the latent enmity between Ferdy and Lewis will become open war, and they will start to fight directly even with the risk of collisions.

Dennis has always been sporty in letting his two drivers free (even though Prost claimes the team favoured Senna, now Alonso claims the same with Hamilton).

This time, if Ferrari finds reliability and manages, in the last six races, to get both the cars to the finish....we could see something funny.

THis said, I seriously think Alonso is hoping to win the championship and then leave....probably to BMW, that would be a new challenge for him.
  • How does Ron actually apply team orders, while both drivers still have a chance, without any contract terms to back it up? He can't tell Alonso to back up Hamilton and expect to get any sort of repeatable response. Many of his sponsors wouldn't be happy either. He can't tell Hamilton to back up Alonso, even if Alonso got ahead on points in the next race or two, because everyone (his sponsors included) would give him all sorts of stick.

It's not Ron's way anyway, just like it isn't Frank's. I bet he'd secretly really rather have his own drivers slug it out by all fair means, even if they get pipped by Ferrari as a result. At least he gets to sleep at night that way.

At the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Ron is more worried by the clear indications that the shadowy powers that stalk F1 clearly seem out to destabilise McLaren. The spy scandal appeal, the strange team penalty last weekend, it's all increasing the risk of them taking their eye off the ball. It happened to Renault last year, to Michelin teams before that.
  • The ill conceived Q3 rules are to blame for this spat as well. After all the fuel burning there is the problem of two drivers wanting to have their tyres ready at the same time, this happened between Webber and Coulthard at the previous race.
  • Yes, have to agree with both Ghost and Maxtorq here. Q3 should simply be a case of nominating your fuel load and qualifying with a light car. Yes there is some serius shit going on behind the scenes. I suspect the icy fingers of Bernie are on the tiller.
    On a more sobering thought. Talk of Alonso leaving Macca would not be good for the team. Nando has galvanised the team into racing like world champions and Hamilton has benefitted from that. Were Nando not there, Hamilton may have one races but I doubt he would have delivered the consistency to to challenge for the championship.
    As to the run in, experience favours Alonso plus we have the following conundrum;
    Istanbul Park - tough circuit that favours a long wheelbase car
    Spa - Tough circuit that favours a long wheel base car, could be wet
    Monza - need I say more ( dark forces to act here)
    China - could be wet
    Fuji - will be wet
    Interlagos- could be wet.
  • Surely when Alonso went to Mclaren, he would have been given No. 1 status,as Ron would have said...
    "We only have a rookie coming up so there will be no challenge here - you have my word"
    In the words of Homer Simpson . . . "Dohhhhh"