Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Regazzoni RIP

Man, this was a shock to see first thing this morning. I hope God himself met him at
the Gates.

Former Grand Prix driver Clay Regazzoni was killed in a car crash in Italy today. He was 69 years old.

The Swiss driver is reported to have collided head on with a truck on the A1 Motorway near Parma, while driving a Chrysler Voyager.

Regazzoni won five races during a career that spanned from the 1970 Dutch Grand Prix to the 1980 United States West Grand Prix in Long Beach, where he suffered spinal injuries in a big accident.

That crash brought an end to his F1 career, but he was still determined to carry on with motor sports.

He competed in the Paris-Dakar Rally in the 1980s and used a hand-controlled sportscar in some events. He also commentated on F1 for Italian TV.

[Edited on 15-12-06 by MCSF]

Comments

• Haha, it seems that all you do these these is posting RIP threads. Two days ago young frankenstein, and today mister Regazzoni.

I don't know him as either a commentator or a racing driver. I'm a bit young for that I guess. But if he has won races I am sure we have lost a great driver. Sad he had to die this way.
  • Rest in peace, Clay, may the earth be light on you. We won't forget your determination and your smile, fantastic example for all the unlucky persons forced on a chair.

Say hi to Ronnie, Gilles and all the guys in the F1 heaven.

:-(
  • Just read it on tt. He's one of the first names I remember of F1. What a shame that he had to die in this way.
  • I can't believe just how hard this news has hit me.....The first F1 car/driver I ever saw was Gianclaudio Regazzoni in his Ferrari 312 at Mosport in 1972. He was loved by the tifosi, at Monza he was more popular then Ickx and Niki. He also won Williams first GP at Silverstone........

This is just so sad...... God Speed Clay

[Edited on 15-12-06 by Murph]
  • Going through the photo's you sent me I can see he was popular with you. I have his '75 win in Monza on tape his after win celebrations were amazing. Nice tribute to him on MCSF with thanks to FOSA. RIP Swiss Giant Gianclaudio.
  • he was meant to die on a car, evidently. Rest in peace.
  • Here are some pics of Clay....... he was a class act...... again, this is so sad

In The Nostalgia Forum on Atlas, someone said that they believe that Clay and Vittorio Brambilla are now reminicing over a bottle of Chianti........... that is a most beautiful thought........

RIP
  • What a shame - yes, the Williams win is why he is popular with Brits of my vintage.

Niki Lauda: Clay "equalled only by James Hunt" in his ability to combine professionalism behind the wheel with the extrovert, fun-loving image of the traditional racing driver. "Clay was the sort of guy you could never forget," said Lauda. "He died as he lived, simply taking life as it came. He was a great blend of the professional and the playboy. He enjoyed life and was never negative.
  • Pictures in 1979 when he drives for Giancarlo Minardi Scuderia Everest Team

imagehttp://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3500/clayregazzonionmarchbmwob1.th.jpg" border="0" />

imagehttp://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9779/regazzoniclaycarte1979wl0.th.jpg" border="0" />