Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Comments

• I'm sorry RJ......just saw this as I only peruse the racing message board.....

The Tamron offers a lot more........ 300mm top end compared to only 200mm and has macro as well.......... which one did ya go with ????

again, sorry for seeing this earlier....

ciao
  • haven't yet decided as i'm not really in a rush. was actually eyeing the Pentax 50-200. You think the Tamron is better?
  • RJ

What "type" of photography that you use your camera for is the key to your lens selection. Since I enjoy snapping at Motor races and also take photos of the grandkids, pets, and the flora of our garden/backyard, I look for a lens or lenses that allow me to do these things as cheaply as possible. Patty uses many of these photos for a "gallery" in one of our rooms and we are now going through pics to be made into prints for the living room (pics of our garden flora and grandkids.........the Gilles Villeneuve pics will become prints for the computer room and the game room....)

So when I look at your 2 lens options, I see that the Tamron lense would give "ME" a lens that I can use for Motor Sports but also my "nature" shots....also my daughter wants me to take pics of my newest grand daughter using my macro
    lens... I am going to take pics of her toes, her hand, an eye.... "artsy" pics of my 5 month princess........ I couldn't do this with the other lens.

You should look at what lenses you already have....and what type of photography you want to pursue......... I use my 300mm and 400mm lenses for racing pics..... my 70-200mm zoom is too "small" for me to use at races.....

ciao
  • good point Murph, now let's have a look where I can get it, my local photography shop doesn't do pentax so that's quite a pain but an excuse to venture to London or Oxford.

got my camera to replace my old Sony (build 2000) last year before going to the British GP but soon realised that the 18-55 that came with it is completely useless for such purposes hehe. Besides, I doubt pics like you make them can be made with my equipment (or my talent) one way or the other but was still looking for something a bit more versatile. Good arguments regarding the Tamron because it also has a macro function will continue keeping an eye on the market
  • RJ

If Pentax makes a tele-extender ( 1.4X) you just have about everything covered in your photo kit....

1) wide angle pics with you 18-55
    2) portrait "head shots" with the 70-300 lens..... most photographers like the 85-135 range for portraits with the 200 for tight head shots without any clutter.
    3) the 300 for motor-racing without the tele-extender
    4) the 300 with 1.4x tele-extender for motor racing which now makes that 300mm lens a 420mm which in many cases will allow you to focus thru a fence amd with a low f-stop remove the fencing from the pic...

just a thought.......
  • Got it off ebay for 80 quid wooo :D

it is HUGE god knows how you're supposed to keep it straight at 300mm but I'll find a sollution to that

Not exactly an F1 car, but the zoom does work, that's important
  • Well done, Rojaba !!