Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Beckham

Has he declined so much coming to the MLS in America is a reality?

Comments

• He was never that good in the first place. He only became famous because he scored a goal from the halfway line. This goal caused the media (tabloid) to jump on the bandwagon and this indirectly lead to the trend where any minute showing of talent from a British sportsman or women is greated with hysteria

See. wayne rooney (all be it he's actually a decent player), andy murray, Lewis hamilton, freddie flintoff and Monty Panesar. to name but a few.
  • Yesssss. Not that you're biased ...

Beckham remains one of the best passers of the ball + striker of a dead ball. Sadly, the rest of his game has declined. He should have been dropped from the England team much sooner. His move to the US is as much about his family as it is money. Expect film cameos to follow ...

The other sportsmen you mention are all world class. Murray could be stunning if he truly applies himself.
  • Beckham is to make $50,000,000 per year?! For 32 games for a League where no one averages more than 25,000 per game in attendance...............big risk.
  • ronaldo is soon to follow....
  • Beckham I understand. But why would anyone pay that amount of money for Ronaldo? Or are we talking about Christiano?
  • I'm sure Beckham's contract is at it's heart a 'league' contract and the LA Galaxy aren't going to be paying him solely but I have my doubts about the entire league having 50MM in revenues per year.
  • The man's pretty popular in Germany too. Great merchandise overthere though:

• Interesting to see if Beckham will bring soccer to new heights here.'he has been all over the morning tv shows.

[Edited on 12-1-07 by spark]
  • I mean LA Galaxy are used to great players, they had Austria's Andi Herzog for two seasons :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QV_VnUrI4
  • U.S. Pro Soccer = Black Hole

Don't get me wrong - it is a good sport but I have been hearing since I was a kid that it was going to take over and push real football and baseball etc right into the dustbin of history.

Still waiting.
  • Everywhere else in the world, it has.

Even in Australia where AFL and NRL rule, the A League has made giant strides.

If ESPN didn't push the homegrown games so damn hard over there quig i'm sure more people would sit up and take notice. Honestly, even watching the international ESPN feed we get down here is enough to make me barf up NHL and NFL statistics.

And what the hell is with the Outdoor Channel? Nowhere else but America could a channel about hunting and killing God's creatures succeed.
  • " Beckham I understand. But why would anyone pay that amount of money for Ronaldo? Or are we talking about Christiano? "

No it's Ronaldo, the first Ronaldo! Real Madrid are soon to ditch him along with Cassano....

• And what the hell is with the Outdoor Channel? Nowhere else but America could a channel about hunting and killing God's creatures succeed.

What are YOU having for diner tonight? If meat is on the menu hunting and/or killing is how it got there.
  • yeah, killed in an abattoir - not by Dwight Yokel out in the Montana bush, and filmed for TV.
  • Ahem - back in the day that is how our ancestors did it - otherwise you and me as well as the rest of us on this board would not be here. Look, hunting accounts for a small percentage of our diets but most if not all hunters I know are very ethical about how humanely they hunt - at least the animals have a shot at escaping.
  • I'd pay that money just to get rid of his talentless wife. Can't see her making much of an impact in LA!
  • I'm sure scientology is on the iteniary...
  • Thats the rumor - I guess he's bro's with Tom Cruise and she is pals with TC's old lady.

Man this offseason is getting too long if we are weighing the merits of hunting, scientology and some washed up soccer player.
  • "What are YOU having for diner tonight? If meat is on the menu hunting and/or killing is how it got there."

GO VEGGIE!!