Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Its Official - RB3 Slow

Well lets cut the bullshit. Newey's car is slow. Spin it all you like, test times, low laps, the cars has a flaw.
Its hard to believe but they look like having a season long struggle to find speed. Newey's prelaunch comments suggest he had doubts. The problem looks mechanical rather than aerodynamic making it doubly difficult to solve.
Berger can't be laughing now, arbitration, shoehorning an overheating Toit engine ( of questionable spec) and a lemon chassis.

Comments

• Anyone surprised about that?
  • it serves them right!
  • Nope - not surprised RJ - look how far Sauber went with out TOIT engine. Webber to Champ cars???
  • hey, let's blame it on Mark Webber!
  • Word is it does not have enough downforce. ie; no grip...

It will be a looooong season for them.
  • Originally posted by Petroltorque
    Well lets cut the bullshit. Newey's car is slow. Spin it all you like, test times, low laps, the cars has a flaw.
    I will give a shot at "Spin it all you like"......

Red Bull just completed a 3-day test at Jerez with everybody but STR and Spyker. Their test revealed 2 major problems.... gearbox ( I'm guessing with the "seemless shift") and they had a halfshaft problem. Lets take a look at each days test.

(1) Feb. 6
    RB only ran a total of 75 laps....
    DC with 48
    Mark with 27

McLaren (224 laps), Ferrari (150), Renault (185) and BMW (99)

DC was -1.023 from de la Rosa
    -.877 from Kubica
    -.799 from Hamilton
    -.796 from Kimi

(2) Feb 7
    RB runs 106 laps with both drivers having problems.. (Mark= 36) and (DC=70)

Ferrari (92 laps), BMW (178), McLaren (211), and Renault (162).

Mark was -.982 from Massa
    -.750 from Kubica
    -.720 from Hamilton
    -.530 from Piquet
    in 36 laps.....

(3) Feb 8
    Rain has major impact.....

RB completes 140 laps (DC=69) and (Mark=71)

BMW (71 laps), Ferrari (136 laps), Mclaren (72 laps) and Renault left after only a couple of laps...

DC was -1.669 from Kubica
    -.600 from Kimi
    +.311 over Alonso

from Crashnet.com

"Red Bull chief test engineer Ian Morgan said he was happy with a productive test of the new RB3 in Spain, despite three days of running that saw further teething troubles for the Adrian Newey designed machine.

David Coulthard and Mark Webber both spent time at the wheel of the car at Jerez as the team continues to get to grips with a machine that carries over virtually no parts from the RB2 and also with the Renault V8 engine that will power the car this season.

With a new car, things didn't go to plan all the way through the three day session with a drive shaft failure and gearbox glitch affecting proceedings but Morgan said that the test had still enable the team to gain more valuable information ahead of the first round of the year in Australia.

"It was still a productive test, during which we got through all our planned programme and made progress over the three days," he said. "The working relationship with Renault continues to grow and we got on top of our problems, covering a respectable mileage. "

Who knows, maybe y'all will be able to do your "Adrian Newey and Red Bull Sucks" dance of joy..... but the team sees this as a transitional year.... hoping for a 5th place finish and I still believe that they could reach their goal...... at least I hope so....

ciao
  • 5th place? Toyota can't be THAT bad. Assuming you get Renault, Ferrari and McLaren 1-2-3, they would have to beat everyone save for BMW, who look to make a move this year. Williams are looking stronger as well.

Interesting to see the pace, albeit in testing, of a Newey car in the 21st century that doesn't have the resources of the evil empire behind it. I've taken some heat here and there for being critical of him, but the results should speak for themselves.
  • I've got no anti Newey agenda. But I do think the situation illustraes the failings at Red Bull are more than just money and personnel. Their management are pretty poor. I don't know how much overall control Newey has on car design, but I'm sure he expected the car to have more pace.
    What has been a pleasant surprise for me has been the pace of the Williams, straight out of the box. I'm sure Frank and Patrick are hewing an extremely big stick with which to lambast, Horner, Mateschitz, Berger et al.
  • I'm cautious on Williams. They were quick to begin with last year and then lost the plot as the season went on.
  • Hmmmmmmmmmmmm………. After the past two days of testing at a “proper” F1 circuit and under sunny conditions, IT IS looking as though Mr. Petroltorque is onto something and that my hopes for Mr. Newey’s baby are not going to be fulfilled……….’sigh

(1) Of what looks to be the “Big Four” for the upcoming season, Ferrari was most impressive today. Massa & Kimi completed 261 laps……..working with the harder Bridgestones and long runs…..

A: Ferrari: Massa is Fastest (107 laps) 1:21.181
    Kimi is 2nd (154) -.538

B: Renault: 228 laps with Kovalainen -.638
    C: McLaren: 181 laps with Fred -.720
    D: BMW 148 laps with Kubica (had engine problems) -.919

(2) the “Second Tier” was over a second behind Massa……

A: Toyota: 192 laps with Jarno -1.046 behind Massa
    B: Williams: 65 laps with Rosberg -.022 behind Trulli
    C: Honda: 176 laps with Rubinho -.442 behind Trulli
    D: Red Bull 143 laps with Mark -.789 behind Trulli

Uh Oh……. Over 1.735 seconds behind Ferrari (again, which was only concerned in long runs and completing race distances……. But more discouraging is being almost .8 behind Toyota whom they were slightly quicker than at Jerez just a few days ago……..

At least Ferrari seems to have started to right itself after experiencing a whole slew of problems while testing and BMW is continuing to make strides and could be a potential winner of a race this upcoming season……….. As for Red Bull and Mr. Newey, it looks as if 2007 will give us a chance to see how both the team and its ownership can deal with trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $#!+…….

ciao
  • no sympathy for the Red Bulls, F1's no soup kitchen, if you can't stand the heat, GET OUT!! :D
  • RJ

I have looked over the posts and I see no mention of F1 being a "soup kitichen". I know that I attempted to show that there was some hope on Adrian Newey's creation but also in my last post I stated that this hope was fleeting. I also stated that ,for me, what will be interesting is how Mr. Newey and the Red Bull team deal with improving the RB3 over the course of the year......I see no mention of Mr. Newey complaining about "the heat" so I am perplexed by your rant.

So I don't really understand your response to my post........ and if I was in your presence, I'd ask you what was your problem?

[Edited on 13-2-07 by Murph]
  • sorry, poor attempt at humour, I don't know whether no one else got it either, in which case I apologise
  • I got it, just a bit late!

Anyhow, if today is any indication.. start planning on a red-wash this year. Though they are working with a new set of wings, Ferrari is supposed to have more aerodynamic improvements, along with the much talked up rear suspension for Bahrain. It's also reported that Massa's blinder came as part of a 20 lap stint..
  • At the moment, after 30+ laps, Coulthard is pretty quick in second place.