Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Lease Loose

You've seen Viges on Tour, now see Lease Loose!

Got the OK from the 'real' boss to take a side trip to London. So who's up for a dinner get together?

We'll be in Belgium from 19/6 to 12/7. Don't know the internary yet, but will be able to get across with Ryanair for a ridiculous fare, so will plan to arrive sometime in the morning (pref a Thursday) and leave the next afternoon.

Ryanair fly to Stansted, so I need to catch a train into London, but that being a reasonably large country town. will need expert advice as to where to meet.

RJ, are you able to do a weekday?

Comments

• What?

Not going via KL?

Thought you had Butterworth background?

Is there something going on between you and Viges?

Spin
  • Its society's crime, not ours.

Great stuff. Campari Club London has a ring to it. Is Quig still talking to himself on his own website?
  • Sorry Doc, I've always been strict about the Scout's motto - "Never leave your mate's behind"; or was that "Never leave your mates behind" Gee, could I have had it wrong all these years?!?!?!?!

Oh well, a man knows what a man needs.

Club Campari de Londres it is!

As for transit, too late, too late. Going on an SA special so the nation state will be hosting us for an hour or two, with no hope of crossing the causeway this trip.

We'll wave of course.

I sometimes wonder whether I would get a shock to see Penang and Butterworth (not to mention places like Bukit Metajim and Alor Star) in the new, improved Modern Malaysia. Must get back one day.
  • weekday, weekend, 3 at night, 12 at noon, whenever, whereever

the train from stansted takes you into Liverpool Street in the square mile (financial district) I guess we could meet you there
  • Ive got to go to London a few times in that time period for business. Let me know the date early doors so I can try and schedule some meetings to the right days.
  • Its possible I may know some old London taverns.

The bar of the Great Eastern Hotel at Liverpool Street is a good starting point ...
  • you do business, ste?
  • Yup, I threw of the shackles of studentdom and flung myself into the real wide world of work.

Im an Assistant Project Manager for a company in Birmingham. Our Clients offices are in London so I have to go to meeting there a fair bit.

Also im attending the BGP so dont make it one of those days!

[Edited on 19-4-2007 by Ste]
  • Bit of an update.

Looks like the best time would be the week between 2nd - 6th July.

Maybe the evenning of the 5th??
  • Looks good although a long lunch would be better for me. Maybe on the Friday? Up to you ...

[Edited on 24-4-07 by viges]
  • going to a GP while you're over there Lease?
  • Yes, daytime would be better for me aswell.
  • Yes, that weekend is Silverstone.
  • Are you on corperate or journo this year Viges or are you slumming it like the rest of us GA Elite??
  • Choppers and Chablis if I can. I might even watch the race. Actually, I aim to get into the GP2 paddock to see our boys, at the very least.
  • guys, as I said: whenever wherever... unless a better offer comes along ;)
  • So do we lock in lunch on the 5th July?

I'll need to know where at some stage so that I can organise accommodation. I'll arrive in the morning and leave the next afternoon.
  • The Great Eastern Hotel is a good meeting point right next to Liverpool Street railway station. We could then go for a wander through the Square Mile.
  • ...... and go shopping for handbags! How quaint.
  • I was thinking of a manicure.
  • shooooes, i need shooooes
  • Sadly I cannot attend the 5th as I will be setting up camp in the surroundings of a circuit called silverstone
  • Booked flights for the 5th July.

So we do lunch, yes?

Also, I'm getting a bit lost trying to find hotels. I figure that the area of the meet is prime, so it can't be there. Have to find somewhere esle that's a bit cheaper. Hyde Park area looks OK, but can I get a train from there to Liverpool Street? I need to return there so that I can get a train back to Stansted (I think).

Geographical and transport infrastructure assistance urgently required!
  • Welcome to London, where even the shittiest little bed bug infested B&B comes at a prime ;-)

Basically, you can stay wherever you want, there will always be a way to get to Liverpool Street by underground. I once got a quite amazing deal at this Web site and stayed in the Thistle in Barbican (not far from where we'll meet) for 40 quid. http://www.london-discount-hotel.com/
  • Central Line (red) is the one you want.

Liverpool Street is on it and it runs east-west through the centre of town. Stops near Hyde Park are Notting Hill, Queensway, Lancaster Gate (lots of budget hotels near the last two).

It then goes on to Marble Arch, Bond Street, Oxford Circus, Tottenham Court Road (last two for Soho, Tott Ct Rd for British Museum) then onwards to St Paul's and Liverpool Street. As RJ says, I would imagine you'd find something reasonable in the Square Mile, i.e. near Liv St, rather than having to schlep over to Hyde Park.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
  • schlep
    i sense a clear proliferation of that word, even I have started using it
  • I've been using it for years thanks to my Berliner uncle ...

'Yiddish shlepn, to drag, pull, from Middle Low German slepen'

But so much Yiddish stuff has percolated through to Cockney slang.
    Nice bit of schmutter you've got there, boy ...
  • Why can't the English speak English?

Spin
  • Oh, you provocative little schnitzengruben ...

One of the strengths of English is its mongrel status. Its also constantly evolving; see the difference between 'street' English in urban America, 'street' in Sydney and 'street' in London.

Romans, Angles (angle = engl..) Saxons, Vikings, Normans and more have all created English. Marvellous.
  • ..and why can't they write English?

Spin