Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Doornbos to drive for Minardi

...for Giovanni Minardi that is...

Today Scuderia Playteam is pleased to announce that it has signed on its driver for the 2008 Superleague season to drive for AC Milan. Scuderia Playteam’s V12, 750-horsepower car will feature the red and black colors of the prestigious AC Milan club. 25-year-old Dutch driver Robert Doornbos will race in the prestigious red and black colors of AC Milan. The car will make its race debut at the start of the season in August 2008 at Donington.

Robert Doornbos commented: "I am very pleased to have reached an agreement with Scuderia Playteam and to take on this important responsibility of driving for the team at the official tests in Barcelona and Montmelo in July. For me it is really exciting since I’ve always been a huge AC Milan fan. My aunt Jeanine actually used to be the physiotherapist of the extraordinary famous successful trio of Dutch players Marco van Basten, Frank Rijkaard and Ruud Gullit. At school I could brag and proudly show all the latest club stickers of the club to my friends. Now they have left or retired, but current Dutch Champion Clarence Seedorf who is currently at the club is one of my best friends. I also drove in F1 for Minardi and I have maintained good contacts with Giancarlo Minardi whose son now manages Scuderia Playteam. It’s definitely a small world and my first chief engineer in racing was Gabriele Tredozi, so I speak fluent Italian also!"

Scuderia Playteam Team owner and founder, Giambattista Giannoccaro commented: "We’re very pleased to have signed Robert Doornbos. It is precisely because of Doornbos’ extensive motor racing experience, and his obvious adaptability to widely differing types of machinery, that we felt he could be a real asset to us in this new adventure with AC Milan."

In the Superleague Formula each football club will fight it out for 1 million Euros prize money at each of the six championship rounds. Each round will feature two races – one with a completely reverse grid.

[Edited on 21-5-2008 by Rime]

Comments

• ah, Superleague Formula, the Jimmy Dean Chocolate Chip Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick of motor racing
  • so,... if one driver takes out another.... when exactly is it a penalty?!
  • Originally posted by forzaminardi
    ah, Superleague Formula, the Jimmy Dean Chocolate Chip Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick of motor racing
    Yeah, you're right, just some preparation for the IRL in 2009 I guess.

BTW: today Robert will be testing for Renault in Silverstone (shakedown).

[Edited on 30-5-2008 by Rime]
  • Yeah, you're right, just some preparation for the IRL in 2009 I guess.

[Edited on 30-5-2008 by Rime] [/quote]

He should have been in Indy this year to show his face. As I found out, most people in the IRL have never heared of him. Dan Clarke and Franck Perera came to shop... :(
  • Rumours are that he is sniffing around for the Renault drive if they can mini-Nelson. Apparantly there could be a shoot out (no sure if it involves penalties) between Doornbos, Grosjean (although he may complete the GP2 season) and Sato.
  • That could be interesting. The last season Alonso and Doornbos were on the track together they had a couple of incidents.
  • This sounds pretty good for Doornbos, would like to see him in a semi-competitive car in F1 after how well he was doing in Champ Car.
  • I've heard something different about the renault situation

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080603105609.shtml

DC going to Renault, Vettel being promoted to Red Bull and Piquet being loaned to Toro Rosso