Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

TOIT to pull out of F1 ???

and Red Bull? And Toyota?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8044860.stm

Ferrari have threatened to quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to introduce an optional £40m budget cap from 2010.

"No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change," said a statement. "Ferrari does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship."

Ferrari fear the evolution of a two-tier championship, between those teams who adopt the cap and those who do not.

The teams will discuss the plans with FIA chief Max Mosley in the next week.

Ferrari, in a statement, insist their announcement is not simply posturing: "The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of... endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are priorities for the future.

"If these indispensable principles are not respected, and if the regulations decided for 2010 will not change, Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars."

And former team boss Eddie Jordan told the BBC: "Maybe this isn't the posturing that most people think it is - I wouldn't be certain that they wouldn't carry this out.

"Ferrari shareholders are very concerned at the losses that are being made in the company at this time, the credit crunch has had an impact, and I think this (announcement) is different.

"Everyone concerned would be very silly not to put 100% of their time, effort and diligence into making sure there is compatibility between the sport, the governing body and Ferrari."

Eddie Jordan
The announcement will put to the test Mosley's resolve after he claimed earlier this month that F1 could live without Ferrari, the sport's most famous, most successful, and longest-tenured team.

"The sport could survive without Ferrari," he said. "It would be very sad. It is the Italian national team."

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, meanwhile, dismissed claims Ferrari could quit F1 on Tuesday, telling the Times: "Ferrari are not stupid. They don't want to leave Formula 1 and we don't want to lose them, so we'll get to grips with it."

However, Toyota and Red Bull have also already threatened not to enter next year's championship unless the new rules change.

And Ferrari have criticised the FIA's decision-making process, stating: "The rules of governance that have contributed to the development of F1 over the last 25 years have been disregarded, as have the binding contractual obligations between Ferrari and the FIA itself regarding the stability of the regulations.

"The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the F1 Teams' Association's (FOTA) endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future.

BBC Five Live Formula 1 correspondent David Croft
"If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari do not intend to enter our cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship."

The FIA wants to introduce an optional £40m budget cap next year to encourage new teams to enter.

The plan would allow capped teams to operate with far greater technical freedom than those continuing with unlimited budgets.

However, Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo, head of FOTA, has warned it would create a two-tier championship that could be "fundamentally unfair and perhaps even biased".

The FIA has set a deadline of 29 May for teams wishing to compete in 2010 to enter and state whether they want a cap or not.

But, BBC Five Live Formula 1 correspondent David Croft fully expects Ferrari to line up on the grid in 2010, despite the threat.

"I would be amazed if Ferrari aren't racing in 2010," he said, "I think this is just the opening of a series of discussions that will take place between the sports most historic team and the governing body.

"It's inconceivable that we would have Formula 1 without Ferrari. Mosley says the sport doesn't need them, but I think a lot of people would beg to disagree."

That is a sentiment echoed by the sport's drivers, with world champion Lewis Hamilton saying he "could not imagine" F1 without Ferrari while Renault's Fernando Alonso added it was "impossible" for it to happen.

And BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld was left bemused by Mosley's comments.

He said: "I thought that people were looking and listening to the fans worldwide and Ferrari is obviously the biggest name in F1 with many supporters and has been there since the very beginning, so they belong in F1."

Ferrari, the sport's oldest and most successful team, also threatened a pull-out in October if proposals for a standard engine for all teams went ahead.

Comments

• the empty posturing we've become used to... anyone remember the gpwc
  • And now Renault are to pull out!!!

Down to 5......

(Get Minardi in there now!!! ;) )
  • All this sounds like a lot of saber rattling, would be surprised if no compromise is found.
  • We all know it won't happen. It's just the big guns flexing their muscles, trying to scare off the FIAs plans.

My mind can't help thinking, what would Stoddie have to say about all this if he was still in F1.
  • Maybe something like, "Max is a dickhead for sprouting this type of shit. He's pissing into the wind with this crap. It's all a ploy to give him a starting position way out in left field, and then when we all go in bitching and bleating to Bernie, they'll get together, come to a middle ground and everything will be apples mate.

It's just Max playing politics to set himself up as the good guy, so he can claim to be the great moderator and then get himself re-elected at the next FIA General Election."

Something along those lines I reckon.
  • It's the usual game, will never happen that 5 teams including TOIT and TOFT leave F1. They'll find a compromise, even though currently they're more than ever showing the muscles.....(see meeting in Heathrow yesterday).
    Meanwhile, is it true that Mosley's elder son died of overdose last week? I did not read anything on that, and nothing more has been said in the last days. Mosley was regularly at Heathrow yesterday......

Personally, I think in a competition the two-tier is ridiculous: rules must be equal for everyone, what sense would be there in a series where there are two totally different sets of cars???????????
    I can agree with the budget limitation, but it has to be for everyone, and cannot be imposed from one season to another, it has to be either gradual, or announced with the due notice (e.g. from 2012).
    GCM is quoted to have said that if the budget limitation is confirmed, it cannot be excluded to see Minardi back in F1 at some point. But this is day-dreaming, I'll only believe it when I see it!
  • F1 does not afford to lose all these teams especially important brand names. Yeah, and I heard about Mosely son too on local news... Mosley is keeping it very low profile.