Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Renault Suspended for Valencia

from Autosport:

Renault has been suspended from the European Grand Prix for the events that led to a wheel coming off Fernando Alonso's car in Hungary today.

Following a post-race discussion with the stewards, it was deemed that the team had breached the regulations enough for it to be suspended from the next event.

It means Alonso will miss his home event that takes place in Valencia next month, unless he moves to another team.

Alonso had been leading the race up until his stop, but his efforts came to nothing after his right front wheel was not fitted properly. It worked its way loose and flew off the car later that lap, ending up against the crash barriers.

A statement issued by the stewards on Sunday night said that there had been multiple breaches of the regulations by the Renault team.

Stewards talked to Renault representatives twice after the race.

The statement said that Renault "knowingly released car no. 7 from the pitstop position without one of the retaining devices for the wheel-nuts being securely in position, this being an indication that the wheel itself may not have been properly secured."

It added that Renault, "being aware of this, failed to take any action to prevent the car from leaving the pitlane....failed to inform the driver of this problem or to advise him to take appropriate action given the circumstances, even though the driver contacted the team by radio believing he had a puncture."

It said that the team's actions had compromised safety in breach of Article 3.2 of the Sporting Regulations, and in breach of Article 23.1.i had released the car from the pits before it was safe to do so.

Renault has been reminded of its right to appeal the decision.

Comments

• It would be interesting to see if Renault appeal. The FIA has a record of unpredictability when it comes to appeals.
  • Alono to Ferrari for Valencia?!
  • Seems unfair to me

We've seen people recover to the pits with shredded tyres many times without penalty.

I doubt Renault knew the wheel was loose that would be crazy.
  • With the safety being in the spotlight again, I'm not surprised the stewards took a hard line. Henry Surtees was killed by a loose tyre last week.
  • Briatore must not be very happy about that...
  • I don't blame the lollipop guy for releasing him but Alonso should have parked it. What the team allowed him to do was outrageous, this of all weeks.