Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Renault 'cheat' claim

Looks like the Piquet clan is trying to fan the flames on this one - FIA now investigating.

I do remember his crash in Singapore being a little odd but surely Flav wdn't try that?!

Comments

• Purposly crashing so that your other car wins is a massive long shot.

I mean what happens if the crash isn't serious enough for a safety car then the plans wouldn't work. Or if the crash is too serious and the race is stopped the plan wouldn't work.

Surely the radio transmissions will clear this up.
  • http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6816343.ece

just for background

mind you it was a road track, attracting the safety car was an easy task
  • A disgruntled driver looking for retribution. The radio transmission are all monitored by the FIA.
    In any event its difficult to proof a driver deliberately crashed and Piquet was always one corner away from an accident
  • For once I actually agree with Bernie in so much as that if these alledged charges against the team are proven Renault will be out of F1 like a shot. This of course will put Williams in Barney because they're wanting a Renault engine deal. With BMW pulling out and with Toyota umming and aahing Bernie could loose 3 manufacturers in 3 months. On the plus side Cosworth and Mercedes will have lots of new customers. Ferrari may pick up a couple of customers too.
  • If everything is proven, that will be the final and definitive end of Flav's career in F1.
    And will put the word "end" also on Renault's second F1 stint.

I'm disgusted that a tem may even think about crashing one of its cars to get the other to win.
  • un uomo osceno, ey?
  • i think it is a bit far fetched but the radio transmissions SHOULD clear the matter! But F1 may not be the same without a colourful manager like Flavio... Whatever the outcome, Alonso deserves a better team!

[Edited on 8-9-2009 by Neil_s]
  • Wow.............

From http://www.formula1.com/:

The Renault Formula One team issued the following press release on Wednesday:

The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team...
  • Bloody hell - you really couldn't make it up. Au revoir Renault.
  • I think Renault have been very clever. The charges have been bought against the team not any individuals but by sacking Pat and Flav and not contesting the results its look as though they're saying.

Pat and Flav did it we've dealt with them go easy on us.
  • Somehow, knowing Flav, it being true doesn't even surprise me.
  • briatore!!! my idol's gone!
  • Fair dinkum! That is tooooooo funny!

Flav's creditibility in motorsport has evaporated, and Pat Symmonds will never see the inside of a garage again either. Sad in its way, but funny too.

As for Nelsino, why should he get immunity? He crashed the effing car on purpose. What are the potential consequences of that???!!! Could have resulted in the death, or injury of another competitor, or specatator, or official. Drag the lot of them off to the clink, I say. And take that square-jawed kraut who did the same and worse along with them.

But seriously, think of the potential outcomes here. Start with the obvious:
    - Renault lose all their points and money for 2008
    - Renault get a big fine
    - Renault say 'stuff the lot of you' and pull out of the sport
    - Briatore & Symmonds are washed up
    - Piquet becomes a pariah and never sees a serious steering job again. Let's face it, he's a dobber, a rat, a grass, a low life

Then there's what COULD happen:
    - The Singaporean Government brings charges against them all. Don't forget that for all the jollyness and hospitality, the joint is an effective Dictatorship, and the boss (the dad, not the puppet) has shown in the past that he is definitely not above whipping through a bit of draconian legislation to suit a desired end
    - Everyone sues Renault, AND the principals. The other teams have sponsors, and those sponsorship dollars depend on time on TV, and position on the grid. how much has this cost them?
    - Toyota takes the opportunity to piss off. Japanese morality is often used as a tool to achieve 'honourable' ends
    - Someone actually asks the FIA that if they are so keen that they did video analysis of the crash, why they didn't do video analysis of Schumacker in Monaco?

As usual, there will be heaps of huffing and puffing, whgislt FOTA becomes more and more whipped, until 'in the interests of the sport' Herr Mosely, pointing at the burned-out shell of the Reichstagg,.....err....the credibility of formula one, re-appoints himself leader for life.

ho hum
  • The BBC website are also saying (albeit in their football gossip colomn) that because he has effectively been shunned be another sports governing body he cannot be a director and shareholder at Q.P.R. and may have to sell up.
  • Max wanted to get rid of Flav as a personal revenge (as he did with Ron Dennis early this year, following the Hamilton affair in Melbourne), and also to get a revenge against Renault top management (Ghosn) for openly criticising FIA on the new rules.
    And, in general, FIA wants to get rid of the great constructors to get again a lot of small teams that are much more easily controllable.
    The opening to several new improbable teams (see Campos, Manor and this pantomime called Lotus.....) is to be seen in this picture.

So far, the story is clear, as well as Renault reaction in getting Flav and Symonds "resigned" in order to avoid sanctions. Then, we'll see what happens after Mosley (taking it for granted that he leaves.....)

In all thisn story, that is a worth continuation of the magnificent gossip/spy/political/personal hate/shit business that F1 has been in the past 3 years, whom I do not understand is Nelsinho: he accepted to crash deliberately in Singapore because he hoped to get his contract renewed. And he got it. Then after Hungaroring he gets sacked, and speaks. What did he hope to get, by talking, considering that he was in the story neck and heels? The result he got is that now he ìs a paria and nobody will ever want him back in F1 (apart that he's not a champion.....) Unless Max promised him a seat with some of the new teams for 2010....but it seems very unlikely.
    Perhaps, it was just that his father, in his experience, knows that Nelsinho will never see F1 again, so they just decided to take revenge, whatever the result.....
  • A leopard doesn't change its spots.

Benetton/Schumi/traction control ... happy days. The only crime is to get caught.
  • Max certainly as settled some old scores. I wonder whose left?
  • too funny

ING announced today that in light of the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council of 21 September 2009 concerning the events that occurred at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, ING will terminate the contract with Renault Formula 1 with immediate effect.

ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship. As announced on 16 February of this year, ING decided not to renew the three year sponsorship (2007-2009) contract with Renault F1 and to end its presence in Formula 1 after the 2009 season.
  • Along with ING Mutua Madrilana (spelling) have announced they are pulling with immediate effect too.
  • ... they go wherever Fred goes.