Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Bahrain weekend

Sutil was impressive in the initial practice session. If Force India can keep it up that would be quite amazing! Schumacher all the way down in 10th. I feel sorry for HRT, feels a bit like Simtek in '95! Let's hope neither of them does a "Schiattarella" and wrecks the car at its first outing!

Comments

• Chandhok's first outing wont be until tomorrow morning due to a problem assemblying the engine and gearbox.
  • Hope they can solve the problem, because they really deserve some success. Personally, I am really rooting for them because this HRT team has a little bit of Minardi feeling and the livery is also more or less similar.
  • HRT are absolutely Nothing like Simtek. Simtek's Chassis was assembled by a number of Moonlighting F1 mechanics. HRT was designed and built by Dallara, a highly regarded Company. In addition I doubt we'll see any driver coming to grief in a Dallara Chassis.
  • Post race ...

Fred is the boy to be beat. I think this will be a classic TOIT v Macca scrap - RBR still have reliability issues and it can't help having 'customer' engines. Merc are fourth right now.

Overtaking? Schumi says its impossible. Oh dear.

Well done to the newbies. Anyone miss BMW, Toyota & Honda? Thought not.
  • I was really looking forward to this season, but if Bahrain is anything to go by its going to be really dull.

The problem is that cars cannot follow closely enough without destroying their tyres. After lap 1 faster cars were stuck with a 2 second gap to try to prevent the tyre problems. But thats too far away to take advantage if the driver in front makes a mistake.

F1 has to to put some strong rules to cut aero grip and reduce the wake of turbulent air - then we will see the benefit of full fuel running and some overtaking.
  • It was dull!!!

Having said that, Australia normally provides an exciting race due to weather and the fact its not a low downforce circuit.

For me Bahrain is always dull. If Melbourne turns out dull, it's going to be long season. Seems like the tyres need to be more fragile. They need a life of 20 laps depending on set up or an overtaking button. It's crazy that a faster car can't overtake...
  • Hang on a minute Roo, Australia normally provides an exciting race? Its a street circuit. The only street circuit that provides excitement is Monaco.
    F1's problem still remains turbulence. They've closed the distance from 5s to 1s. Whitmarsh believes its the double diffusers everyones running, but what about the barge boards, multi element wings and shark fins which will produce just as much turbulence.
    For me the greatest dissapoint is Sauber. Once you start designing bad cars its like a cancer thats impossible to cure.
    PS How long will Alguerseri survive at STR?
  • Well Double Difusers will be banned from next year so thats good. I think the front wings should be changed to something similar to the mid 80's style ones that would allow the cars to get a bit closer.

Re Sauber I think the super fast testing runs were for sponsors benefit and their true pace will be shown over the first few races. If they continue to be this slow then the FIA will be looking for 2 new teams.

Alguerari will probably survive till Hungary cause that's when most teams have changed their drivers in recent years.
  • Originally posted by viges
    I think this will be a classic TOIT v Macca scrap - RBR still have reliability issues and it can't help having 'customer' engines. Merc are fourth right now.
    Surely McLaren have customer engines too now that Merc have their own team?
  • Some customers are more equal than others. I believe I read Macca have certain guarantees for the next few seasons.
  • Great intel from BBC pitlane reporter Ted Kravitz. Fred was expected to fight Seb for position had the Renault engine stayed together ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8572060.stm

[Edited on 17-3-10 by viges]