Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

South Africa 2010 World Cup

Here we are! One week to the start of the fantastic South African circus!!!

I see Argentina (with the question mark of the technical choices Diego may make) and England as level 1 favourites, with Brazil and Spain immediately behind, and Holland and Portugal as possible surprises.

No real chance, in my opinion, for Italy (Cassano was left home, and we probably lost now Pirlo as well), Germany and France (hopefully, after their theft against Ireland). Ghana may be the first of the Africans after Côte d'Ivoire lost Drogba.

As usual, Mexico, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay and Serbia are teams never to be underrated, and so are (in a lower level) Algeria, South Korea, Cameroun, Nigeria and Australia.

I'm curious to see Honduras and New Zealand (that I saw as a child in Spain '82) and North Korea (that eliminated Italy in England '66).

Very sorry for Drogba, Ferdinand and Beckham who could not be in it due to injury.

Now, let's leave the word to the ball and to the green field, and see what happens!
Enjoy it all!!!!

Comments

• may the best orange team win
  • Originally posted by forzaminardi
    may the best orange team win
    I didn't take you for an Ivory Coast fan Forza ;)
  • Weird World Cup so far: out of the 8 bigs, only Holland, Brazil and Argentina had a crystal-clear road. France is out, Italy had a disgraceful 1-1 with New Zealand, and will now most certainly be second to Paraguay, and England, Spain and Germany need to win otherwise they're out.

Ridiculous show by France and Domenech. Brazil has probably not shown all it has, while Argentina showed a fantastic Messi, we have to see if he lasts till the end.
    England need to wake up, otherwise it will be hard, and Spain will have a dramatic game with Chile: if they do not win (and it's not easy against 11 Chileans defending the goal against their mother-country) they're out!

In the eights-final we should have crazy matches: Holland-Italy, and we may get Germany-England and Brazil-Spain.

On the other side, we should have Paraguay-Denmark, Uruguay-South Korea and possibly Chile/Switzerland-Portugal and Serbia-Usa. Which means, we might have Uruguay, Usa or Serbia in the semis. Yep, weird World Cup, can't wait to see how it goes on!
    After Belgium in 1986, Bulgaria and Sweden in 1994, Croatia in 1998, Turkey in 2002 (let alone South Korea that did not make it there due to its merits.....) and Portugal in 2006, we will have another surprise this year. Let's see who it is. But the final will be, as usual, a classic, and, if England and Spain do not wake up, for the first time will see on both benches two guys who already lifted the cup as captains in the past.......
  • Not over yet, is it?

Not going to debate the issue, but it is on in our lunch room at work all the time, so I see snatches of it when I go to make my coffee. For some reason, my work colleagues don't find it helpful when I point out that if the chap had kicked the ball into the goal he would have got a point.

No matter how skillfull these people are (or maybe because OF it), it is so bloody boring! No wonder someone had the bright idea 150 years ago to pick the bloody thing up and start running; and someone else had the idea of thumping the prick that picked up the ball, and consequently started a much better game.

I know I am in the minority and that you all think of it as the beautiful game, but to me soccer is to football sports, what time trials are to F1.

By the way, how can you stand watching it on the telly with all those awful horns constantly blaring? Perhaps because, like the game itself, the banality of it all is the juice.
  • Tension has started to build in the England camp, but Fabio's told them not to worry, lots of people get nervous before they get on a flight
    Good news from England's last training session - Emile Heskey hit a fearsome volley right into the net.
    The bad news is that he is rubbish at tennis as well...
    Just heard a man on death row in Utah has been told he can choose his own firing squad. He's chosen Rooney, Heskey, Gerrard and Lampard!
    Robert Green recovered from his blunder in the first game and held more than 4200 shots on goal in training. The rest of the team will now join him and Heskey to practice some more...
  • Originally posted by Lease
    No wonder someone had the bright idea 150 years ago to pick the bloody thing up and start running; and someone else had the idea of thumping the prick that picked up the ball, and consequently started a much better game.
    Sorry to pee on your chips Lease but the first rules of Rugby were published a couple of years before Mr. Webb Ellis picked up the ball an ran with it, its just that he gets all the credit.

Anyway back to the Football England won't qualify to many ego's and square pegs in round holes (i'm not just saying that because I'm Scottish by the way.) I hope its a Holland / Argentina final they are the two teams that have impressed me the most so far.
  • Shame on Italy and France, shame shame shame.
    Go back home, Lippi and Domenech, hope never to hear about you again!
    Crazy world cup, one between Uruguay, USA, South Korea and Ghana will make it to the semis, and on the other side, if Spain fails as well tomorrow, we will have one between Paraguay, Denmark, Chile/Switzerland and Portugal!

Lease, as for the rugby vs football querelle, they are two wonderful sports, full of fantastic technical jestures. And remember, playing with the feet is much more difficult than with the hands, as feet are a much less sensitive part of the body. The marvel of it is that players can do those things with their feet!
    But I'm afraid it's just a cultural question, it's impossible to be explained by a Continental European to an Aussie, as it would be impossible for an Aussie to explain to me how's it possible that he likes cricket!
  • I have to say Italy didn't look quite as poor as France and the game today was an all time classic. I'd watch it again if I had recorded it. I guess what it once again shows is that it's all about whether a coach is able to form a team. The US don't have many stars yet they work really well as a team. England has a few big shots yet I think in spite of them progressing, Capello has utterly failed at turning them into a team (not even talking about France who apart from Malouda had called it quits even before the world cup started).

I think Argentina and Portugal have so far looked most convincing. Apart from the Orange Army (which, just like Germany progressed but didn't exactly rock the boat either until now) my support's with Uruguay (remember 1950?) and US Soccer (they deserve a good tournament after their fantastic run in the Confederations Cup)