Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

DTM to get interesting?

Now we've seen it all before, in the 90s: DTM trying to grow beyond its means (with a little help from Bernie). But yesterday's news that Japanese brands will race in the series from 2014 onwards may prove interesting.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103475

Comments

• They should have tried to get Opel back in.

This is GT, and GT is too far from Touring and too close to open wheel.

They would have been better off doing a deal with V8 Supercars.
  • Would love to see the V8s -v- DTM. Round 1 Bathurst, round 2 Nordschleife.
  • Turned on the telly on this lazy Saturday afternoon, and there is the V8 Supercar race at the Gold cost Street Circuit.

At least I thought it was till I saw that Mika Salo was leading Sebastian Bourdais, with Nick Heidfeld not far back.

Turns out that it is a two-race weekend of 300 klms each, and driver changes required mid-race. The people they got as co-drivers was a bit interesting:

Nick Heidfeld
    Marco Andretti
    Sebastian Bourdais
    Mika Salo
    David Brabham
    Graham Rahal
    Frank Montagny
    Justin Wilson (Minardi - yay!)
    Ryan Briscoe
    Will Power
    Stephane Sarrazin
    Giani Morbidelli (Minardi yay!)
    Lucas Di Grassi
    Tonio Liuzzi
    Max Papis

Plus a bunch of other dudes I haven't heard of. There were guys from F1, Indycar, DTM, NASCAR, Le Mans, BTCC, and other series.

Wonder what they have planned for the COTA round next year.
  • Lease the COTA round will probably not have all of those co-drivers. That weekend Indycar drivers should be unavailable for the Indy 500 qualifying, ALMS has Leguna Seca, and Nascar has an all star race at Charlotte. Maybe from other sources but those would have drivers known here that would increase exposure of the event here.

Also from looking at the ticket site they will be using the short version of the circuit. A shame too since Frosty tried the full version out a few months back and said turn 11 was going to be real good in the V8s. Should still be pretty good with the short version though and from what I have seen the V8s have gathered a fairly good following here in the States.
  • Must give the 'No Right' crowd no end of encouragement.

I just noticed that the F1 & V8 rounds at Abu Dhabi are on the same weekend this year. Channel Ten won't know what to do with itself.
  • Actually, just noticed that there will be a Merc in the 2013 V8 supercars series. It's not a works entry as the car will be built locally from AMG & Merc - supplied bits.

What it all means is that next year could see winners from Nissan & Mercedes Benz, and one wonders how that would go down with the essentially outer-suburban Holden & Ford nutjobs that are the mainstay of the support base for this series.
  • Remember Jim Richards winning Bathurst in a Nissan? Got booed by the nut jobs while on the podium. Called them "a pack of arsholes!" Classic...