Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Ashes

Hey, hey, hey ... welcome back Mitch! Love the 'tache.

England in serious trouble without Trott: he was one of the strong ones. We don't have anyone as quick as Johnson, either.

Proper series. We will win it, naturally.

Comments

• are you speaking about hide and seek?
  • I was crying at lunch and then to wake up with the POMS at 7/90 odd was awesome.

People were selling 4th day tickets, for 200 quid. Looks like its not going to even get that far.
  • In the good old days the BBC used to broadcast the testmatches. I miss them dearly. There's not a much better way to realy relax. It' allmost like fishing.
  • almost like watching the grass grow:hehe:
  • RJ, this thread is for civilised types only.

And Australians.
  • It's nice to see the poms revert back to bodyline. Mind you, if they bowled with a bit of nouce the scores would be closer. Expect the Aussies to get 500 in the second innings and humble the pathetic poms into submission. Pfft...:hehe:
  • speaking about watching TV for tv watching's sake... does anyone catch up on big brother.

left london just after orlaith came into the house, such a shame :hehe:

• RJ, you will never succeed in hijacking a thread about Cricket!

Of course the Ashes will end up in their spiritual home again, why wouldn't they?

I have only one wish; We agree to exchange them for Tony Greig.
  • He's commentating for Pom TV this year - not as shit as I'd expected him to be ... yet.

BTW Roo, it was hardly Bodyline on the first day - shot selection was poor.

"All Australians are an uneducated and unruly mob."
    Douglas Jardine.
  • "All Australians are an uneducated and unruly mob."
    Douglas Jardine. [/quote]

Crap! Look at the fine example of Aussies you have here.

And who ever gave a crap about what Douglass Sardine,
    sorry Jardine said anyway!

P.S. There was a Cricket match in Iraq yesterday between
    the Aussies and the Pomms. Aussies 220, Poms 102

Ha Ha!
  • Ahhh, good to see the more things change, the more they stay the same viges, old bean.

I was disappointed in that I predicted a 500 lead, when they only managed 400 odd. They are rusty, and come the second test it should be situation normal. Of course the weather may be your only saviour...how pathetic:hehe:
  • Good to see the England team being pragmatic and not trying to use that pesky fifth day.

Well done!
  • Good to see the England team being pragmatic and not trying to use that pesky fifth day.

Well done!
    fifth day is usually recreational day of golf for the aussies, unless your warney who'll be pumping out the smses

• That's right clipper - 5th day is golf day! :D

Why put off til tomorrow what you can defeat today? ;)
  • clipper, I'm sure Warnie will be pumping more than SMS's!!!!:o

NURSE!
  • Vulgar man. To think he's playing for my beloved Hampshire.
  • Ingredients for a Hampshire sandwich:

Shane Warne on top;
    Pietersen on the bottom;

Now, what would we use for the filling?

I'm sure the Sun or the Daily Telegraph will supply that shortly...
  • To Edgbaston (where we should have started the bloody series) ...
  • It's like you guys are speaking a different language..
  • To Edgbaston (where we should have started the bloody series) ...
    why should we have started in Birmingham?

Anyway this will be the REAL start now the lads are fully warmed up :D

Jello: Next time you come to Europe I'll contribute to your education and take you to a match
  • this thread is for civilised types only
    and australians
    NO BIDET NO CIVILIZATION
    Meditate, anglosaxons, meditate :hehe::hehe:
  • Shame Europeans don't put as much effort into washing their hands..................oh well..

Superoo, we need to do something to ease the poms off their outlandish expectations. It will just get worse if they don't accept their problem now and embark on the twelve steps.

BTW, saw an article in the Sunday newspaper about Warnie that alledged he is a sex addict. They had psychologists and everything, talking about how this a real problem and that they are the same as alchies and the rest.

How I laughed.
  • Ingredients for a Hampshire sandwich:

Shane Warne on top;
    Pietersen on the bottom;

Now, what would we use for the filling?

I'm sure the Sun or the Daily Telegraph will supply that shortly...
    ahhh thats how Pietersen got that blonde streak on the back part of his head, got caught out by a warnie special delivery!
  • It's like you guys are speaking a different language..
    So true, I am so lost trying to read any of this.
  • No, that's rubbish.

You two particularly would well understand the cultural roots associated with baseball that reach further into your country's psyche than a mere sport.

Unlike soccer, and basically all forms of football, it is the history of the game that sets it apart and generates much more of the mystique than the actual playing of a single game.

The Ashes are far and away the most significant contest in the world of cricket.

They came about after a touring Australian team defeated the English at their own game in 1882 (in fact Australia had also beaten England in 1877 as well). The match stumps were burned and the ashes placed in an urn. An obituary was penned to accompany the ceremony:

In affectionate Rememberance of
    English Cricket
    which died at the Oval on
    29th August 1882
    Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acqaintences
    RIP
    NB: The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia

Whilst on the surface this may seem to be a bit of whimsy, that has not been borne out by the sometimes savage attempts to win, or retain the Ashes in the 123 years since.

Most notable is the Bodyline series of 1932/33 which raised tensions between the countries' which could scarcely be believed to be related to a game, and yet there it is. As a side issue, a reading of the events of that series, and particularly the actions and reactions of the parties involved, have a strong connection with F1 Indy 2005.

So even though you don't understand the lingo, the game is special in ways that you need a birthright to understand. The biggest thing in World Sport is undoubtedly the Coup de Monde, but it cannot hold a cultural candle to the minds of the initiated to the Ashes, or indeed to the (ridiculously named) Baseball World Series.

BTW Viges, me old son. When Woodful declined to serve it back to the English, he not only exemplified the term Sportsmanship, bet he also underlined beautifully, Jardine's punishment; the treachery of an ungrateful MCC.
  • You know, it's funny when you think who really does the most whingeing.

PS Dan - we gave the Aussies weeks of warm up before allowing them to start the series at the place we never beat them. Edgbaston is much better for starters.
  • McGrath should watch where he steps. :rolleyes:
  • Who the hell is McGrath?

:hehe:Just kidding JB

Yes, he is the spearhead of the attack (Offence). His absence showed. This is Englands big chance to aim for a win (Who's kidding who) a draw at best. If Warne was also out then they might have a chance.
  • That'll do for a first day.

Bowling, Stevo.
  • That'll do for a second day. Mmmmmmmm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41379000/jpg/_41379875_langer_getty200x245.jpg

What was Ricky thinking, going in first? You rabble don't look quite as clever without Glenn. Ho-hum.