Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

2014 FORZAMINARDI CHALLENGE - Round 03 BAH 4-6 Apr 2014

2014 FORZAMINARDI CHALLENGE: RULES:

1.0 Predict the following exactly and gain points each round:
a. Pole getter - 2 points (pole getter is defined as the one who is on pole
when the race is started)
b. Winner of GP - 4 points
c. Second in GP - 3 points
d. Third in GP - 2 points
e. Fourth in GP - 1 point
f. 1st car out after the race has started under the green lights whether
through DNF or DNS (through stalling for eg.) or through DQ (by black flag
for eg.) - 1 point (point given even if DQ is appealed)
g. Name the ex-Minardi driver who finishes in the highest
position in the race amongst all ex-minardi drivers - 2 points

All predictions above must be EXACTLY correct. Should any driver pull out
before the race weekend, his replacement is not automatically substituted in
the bets...the bettors MUST exercise the edit right as provided in clause 6
two days before race day (e.g. if race day is on Sunday, final edit right is
day-stamp of post Friday).

2.0 Prize for the winner with most points at end of season:
a. the glory of being the season's Forzaminardi.com champion...plus whatever additional prize R-J
or the others may want to throw in. :-)

3.0 The organisers are manlio27 and Lease.

4.0 The qualifying and race results FIRST published by formula1.com will be
used to judge the bets placed unless the referees by a majority decision decide to use the amended results following any steward decisions made post race. No appeal to organisers' decision which is
final.

5.0 If the organisers cannot make a decision, they will consult R-J and/or
Pistonbroke and/or Telstar who shall act as referees.

6.0. All bets must be submitted in the above 1.0 a to g order and must be
submitted before the first quali session starts. Any bets submitted after the
first quali starts will be invalid. All bets MUST be in by before the first
quali but no editing of any bets placed can be done after the end of Friday
practices (or in the case of Monaco after Thursday's practices). This is
because when a post is edited, there is no time stated when such edits have
been done, it just says which date the edit was done.

7.0 DQ means disqualification during the race. so any disqualification
resulting from and/or with not starting the race does not fall under this description of
DQ.

8.0 Any additional rules can be added to aid clarity but not to change the
bets format and the points as and when deemed neccessary.

9.0 The referees of this 2014 ForzaMinardi Challenge are Lease, manlio27,
Forzaminardi, PistonBroke and Telstar (if Lease, R-J, Piston and Telstar agree). A majority decision
from these 5 is required to settle any dispute. If the dispute concerns the
referee's bet, then the other 4 referees must adjudicate and arrive at a majority

Standings after Round 02 - MAL
1 1 Telstar 8 12 20
2 5 PistonBroke 4 12 16
3 1 SuperRoo 8 4 12
4 3 manlio27 6 5 11
5 5 JumpeySpyder 4 6 10
5 7 Lease 2 8 10
7 4 Stan 5 4 9
8 - forzaminardi 0 2 2

My predictions for Bahrein:

Pole: Clewlis
1st: Clewlis
2nd: Rosberg
3rd: Alonso
4th: Massa
First out: Gutierrez
Best ex-Minardi: Alonso

Comments

• Pole: Hamilton
    1st: Hamilton
    3rd: Vettel
    4th: Raikkonen
    First out: Maldonado
  • POL: Rosberg
    1ST: Rosberg
    2ND: Alonso
    3RD: Bottas
    4TH: Button
    OUT: Vergne
    EXM: Alonso
  • Pole Hamilton

P1: Rosberg
    P2: Vettel
    P3: Hamilton
    P4: Ricciardo

First Out Magnussen
    Best Ex: Alonso
  • Pole: Clewlis
    1st: Clewlis
    4th: Vettel
    First out: Maldonado
  • Pole: L. Hamilton
    1st: L. Hamilton
    2nd: N. Rosberg
    3rd: S. Vettel
    4th: V. Bottas
    First out: D. Ricciardo
    Best ex-Minardi: F. Alonso
  • Pole: Hamilton
    1st: Hamilton
    4th: Ricciardo
    First out: Vergne
  • Hey All.

Though we are mid-season so to speak, we need to make changes to the scoring system to make this thing a bit more relevant in the first instance (ie, best ex), and more contemporary (exciting) with the WDC championships scoring system in the second instance.

Here is my proposal:

Point 1 - BEST EX - Should be extended to include all past and present Minardi & Toro Rosso. That lifts the total to choose from to 5, with 3 main players.

Point 2 - FIRST OUT - is the hardest of all to pick because it really is almost completely random. It should be worth more than a point. I would suggest the value of the first out be increased to 3 points.

Point 3 - BONUS ROUNDS- The WDC contains double points for the final round. We should take it one step further and declare a number of bonus rounds. However, rather than automatically apply double points, which just lifts everyone equally, why not declare that during a bonus round, anyone who gets three or more results out of the 7 possible in one race, will have their points for that round doubled.There are 19 races this year. Neatly, that would mean 3 bonus rounds; one every 6 races. That is: Monaco - Belgium & Brazil. Rather nice that they are all 'old' tracks, and each is historically difficult to predict. That leaves the final race of the year as a normal points round, so that even if the leader gets overtaken in the last bonus round, he/she still has one more chance.

Point 4 - EASY PICK PENALTY - There is more thing, though this is a bit radical and i haven't thought it through. It relates to dominant make/driver combos and the effect that has on the ease of picking the polesitter. The idea that I have is that if you successfully pick any one driver for pole, more than 7 times in the season, you lose half of your pole points. That is, you go from 14 pole points, to 7. If you are silly enough to do it again, then you lose another half, and so on, till you have no pole points left. And before some smartarse notes that continual halving will result in a fraction each time, we'll round down! This is a bit like the teams having to decide which tyres to use in which qaully session. You have to decide when to use your guaranteed pole man. If you combine this with the bonus rounds it all gets to be a bit fun.

So this is a discussion point dudes. Either refer to the points above with you commentary/ammendments, or introduce new points. Just remember to number any new points sequentially from the last one to avoid confusion.

And here is your Gant Chart:

Discuss changes - complete by 16/4

Vote on new model, accept or scrap by 17/4

Implement by 18/4 in time for China.
  • Why not just pick the pole and top 10. Forget about first out and ex minardi.
  • points 1 to 3 are sound, point 4 is a bit random
  • having said that, what about just giving more points to categories other than winner and pole sitter? Predicting who comes in 5th appears to be harder than picking a winner. This would also incorporate some of Super Roo's ideas, arguably making it more of a game of chance rather than deep F1 knowledge.
  • I'm not really in favour of point four, mostly because it sounds like it is quite difficult to keep track of that as a competitor, on the other hand, point three sounds like a judge's nightmare. But as long as I am not a judge I'm not really going to mind too much :-).

I am very much in favour of double points for the final round though.

About point one: personally I would just replace ex-Minardi with last person classified. We root for the backmarkers, that's what we do... Comes close enough to the original intend.

[Edited on 10-4-14 by Stan]
  • I'm in favor of point 1 and 2. I don't personally care for double points in F1, but point 3 seems acceptable if it is restricted to those 3 races. Point 4 does not seem too good in comparison to the other points.
  • So, at this point;

- No support for roo's idea. Gone

- Point 1 either accepted, or have a wooden spoon (Australian for Last Place. The problem with last is that it only has 4 regular runners

- Point 2 accepted

- Point three more, or less accepted, but maybe needs more discussion

- Point 4 is the work of a troubled mind and we should all pretend that we didn't see it

Two days left to add further commentary. where in the Angola is Manlio!
  • No support for Roo's idea, would change our game completely and make it too difficult and random

1 - YES
    2 - YES FOR 3 POINTS FOR FIRST OUT
    3 - NO, keep double points only for last event (I am even contrary to that but since they are doing in 'real life', let's do it too.
    4 - A TOTAL NO.
  • And democracy kills yet another great idea. Point 4 was my favourite in the end.

From all of the above, we deduce that changes to be accepted are that the competition points scoring to be ammended thusly:

f. 1st car out after the race has started under the green lights whether
    through DNF or DNS (through stalling for eg.) or through DQ (by black flag
    for eg.) - 3 points (point given even if DQ is appealed)
    g. Name the ex-Minardi, or current or past Toro Rosso driver who finishes in the highest position in the race amongst all ex-minardi, or curent or past Toro Rosso drivers - 2 points

Plus new point 1 - h.
    Points applied as a result of a - g above for the final contested round of the season, will be doubled.

Any dissenters have one day to appeal and give reasons (which will likely be ignored)why the above should not be adpoted.
  • I'm sick of winning, that's why I want to make it harder. In fact with 10 spots your odds of getting a few right are greatly increased. Rather than 4.

But anyhoo I'll play with new new rules. Eventhough points are awarded to the first 10 over the finish line. Logical really...