Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

What are the odds?

What are the odds of the early trends of this season being reversed after the Mercedes runaway we've seen thus far? Ferrari are nowhere, and I mean absolutely nowhere and even Red Bull have to stay behind Force India for the time being.
Without testing, is there any chance this can still be turned on its head?

Comments

• There is a test coming up this week in Bahrain. But for Renault powered cars I'm not sure how many (legal) modifications they can do as it seems well known that Renault cars have less power than Mercedes.
    After the safety car, both Merc's certainly shot away from the rest of the pack. :/
  • The advance in engine power required to catch up is probably not feasible in the space of this season. Merc showed their hand in Bahrain with the two boys fighting it out in the last 10 laps. They were 2.5 seconds quicker than anyone else.

We have further evidence of course in the form of Force India Williams. whilst both have competent design teams, neither are flash for resources, and are certainly not capable of making the advances in chassis design necessary to catch and pass Red bull in one off-season. The Merc engine is an absolute blinder.

For all that, Bahrain was very un-Bahrain like. There didn't appear to be anywhere on the track that wasn't suitable for a pass. How long, how long since i have seen F1 cars passing each other through a set of esses. I dont care how false it all is, the racing is becomming very exciting, and Bahrain was a joy. Teammates paired up going at it hammer and tong is fantastic. I love my one-design yacht racing, and this is the reason why. Two talented guys in two identical cars. Just doesn't get any better.

Full marks to all of the teams for letting their guys race. Much emphasis is placed by the fanbase on whether so-and-so is a good guy, or whatisname is a whinger, or whatever. I tend to think that you can really pick out the dickheads when teammates get together on the track. Sure, we love to see one of them fighting hard within the rules to avoid letting the other pass, but sometimes they get silly about it, and they're the dickheads. Massa is a dickhead. Always knew it too. Bottas may gibber like an unhappy kid on the radio, but he drives pretty fair. Massa on the other hand drives like someone who has a mortgage on their bit of track.

This of course brings us to Vettell. He was barely restrained in his efforts to get by his teammate, but did a shocker down one of the straights when someone tried to pass him on the outside. Did not leave any room at all (hello stewards?). And how about his whinge that he had no power. BULL - SHIT.

The fight between the leaders was fantastic. The fight between the Force Indias was fantastic, the fight between the Willams was interesting, and the fight between the Red Bulls was fun. And as a bonus point, we got to hear; "Sebastian, Daniel is quicker than you. Please let him pass". I also like the way Ricciardo put this to the team. Did he complain that he was being held up and that he should be let through. Nope. He said "Losing a lot of time here guys, you need to make a decision". Subtle, but very effective. He very neatly avoided demanding preferential treatment, whilst making sure that the team knew that they would be responsible for the outcome. Decide to do nothing and face the Big Man about why they didnt maximise their points opportunity, or worse, force Ricciardo to try the pass and risk damage, or order Seb to move over.

Very random thouhgts spilling out here, but i just love the racing. Want more.

Oh, and Maldocrash is still dangerous, and he must be removed.
  • Don't say that, Maldocrash is ex Minardi ;)
  • Originally posted by PistonBroke
    There is a test coming up this week in Bahrain. But for Renault powered cars I'm not sure how many (legal) modifications they can do as it seems well known that Renault cars have less power than Mercedes.
    After the safety car, both Merc's certainly shot away from the rest of the pack. :/
    I wouldn't be surprised if Renault's going to be back on top when F1 gets back to Europe. The manufacturers still get to make changes to improve engine reliability, and I don't think if the FIA will be able to distinguish performance improvements from reliability ones properly.

Has to be said though: I don't know much about engines.

[Edited on 10-4-14 by Stan]