Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Nissany

13»

Comments

• Thank you very much Boos and RJ.
  • Boos - the intervies Salvo did for the MCSF was done in GCM's native language. maybe if his English is sketch you could do the interview in Hebrew and translate it for the rest of us.

For your request i translated an interview done by Assaf Shalom from formula-1.co.il a week before the signup with Minardi.

The interview.....

We scheduled the phone call to 21:00 Israel time. I was thrilled. Indeed you don't get to interview someone that drive F1 cars every day. Someone that Eddy Jordan knows his name. I made a list of questions and decided to stay focused on the tests he did in Jordan and Minardi. Before the interview i read everything i could find in the web as well as the newspapers.

From cold London I called Israel (Which is also cold lately) We started to talk about the formula-1.co.il site if he knows it. from there on the conversation went fluently.

Yes he was aware about his topic in the forums that is growing to a huge size. (350 posts, 13000 views] it makes him happy.
    "I was very glad that people from the forum came to visit me in the f3000 races. raised the Israeli flag. It warms your heart. I'm not an expert in computers or internet it's a bit far from me, yet i do intend to free some time and read."

From the first moment Chanoch is opened and warm. Everywhere i found material about him it said that he is a special person and you could feel it through the phone. He is open minded and happy to give information as if we know each other for years. He himself raise the age issue as well as the times he did in the tests which were not too good. Things that someone else would try to conceal.

And in fact Chanoch Nissany is a special story in any scale. Starting to drive at the age of 38 and get to the top in 3 years is something different. Imagine someone starting to play basketball in a minor local team and get to the bench of the Chicago Bulls in 3 years. Yet i believe that Chanoch’s achievement is even bigger, the physical effort that a driver needs specially in F1 is something with know comparison in the world of Sport.

The sentence "I'm in great physical shape" returns several times during the interview. "From the perspective of decision makers they don't care at all. As far as they consider you can be 80 if you deliver the goods."

As i said Chanoch started to drive professionally only 3 years ago. Since then he one twice the 2000cc Hungarian Championships, competed in races in F3000 and the highlight came in July 2004 with the test drive at Jordan. In November he tested with Minardi with whom he tested also last week.

After the test in Jordan Chanoch started to get the media attention. "To tell the trough I don't like it so much. But it is part of the game and what the sponsors are looking for. It helps me though to know that people in Israel are watching me".

I had a list of question but while we talked about Formula 1 the conversation went fluently and it seemed to be Nissany’s favorite topic.

"The differences between the new car and last seasons car are enormous (wait this is one of my last questions) The traction of the new car is much worse. you need to be very sensitive with the wheel. In the old car you could get into a corner flat-out and you had great grip. no it's not like that. It reminds more an F3 car from that perspective. you need to be much more concentrated because it's easy to make mistakes".

- And what do you prefer? The technological developments or the basic driving?
    "Every driver will tell you that he prefers to drive than having gadgets doing it and I’m not different, I look for challenge. If last year the driver was 20% technological gadgets 40% and the rest went to the engineers, this year the driver part went up to 23%. It slows the cars but it's only a matter of time until you see them again in the same lap times.

- Lets talk about the tests in Jordan. How does it go? You come to the track, jump to the car an drive? or do they prepare you in advance?
    Chanoch laughs.
    "Not at all. Driving an F1 car is a very complicated thing. The difference from F3 is enormous. the power of breaking and acceleration are totally different from anything you knew before and it takes some time to get used to it.
    2 weeks before the test you get to the team base at Silverstone they forge a chair for you. You get lots of material to read and you have an engineer attached to you that explains everything. You are being treated as a king. very good atmosphere".

- Don't they treat you just as another driver that comes and goes?
    He answers with a question.
    "How many test driver Jordan had last year? you can answer this question better than i can"
    Three maybe Four i responded.
    "So it's not too much. You should understand that for the technical personal every test day is a special day. they are waiting for it for a long time. The engineers and software developers want to test their developments, to get feedback, to see that it works. You are part of it. Your opinion is important and as much feedback you give them the more they appreciate you."

We talked about times. Chanoch jumped and admitted that his times aren't impressive yet. I in contrast mentioned that he defeated Kiesa time by half a second in the Minardi test the week before. Kiesa just to remind you has 5 F1 races in his career. "Yes it was a good result", he humbles, "But I’ve got lots of room for improvement. My big advantage is my physical shape and good progress. This is what they are looking for, someone that can do the jump in a short period. Times are important but its not everything in test days. There were faster driver who couldn't fit.
    Eddy Jordan was amazed from my physical shape. Driving an F1 car is hard physically. Lot of pressure on your body and the stress on the neck is exhausting. after 2 laps you are breathing like you ran 2KM. Jordan wanted me to complete 200KM, I needed 300KM for the super license. Don't waste your time, It's impossible for a beginner he said. My manager insisted and I drove 320KM. It was hard".

- What is the difference between Jordan and Minardi?

"On those levels it's almost impossible to tell. It's Like telling the difference between F16 and F16C. Of Course there is a big difference between Ferrari and Minardi but the difference between Jordan and the Italians is minor. As for the atmosphere Jordan are English and Minardi Italians and that tells it all. Minardi is like one warm family.
    My luck was in Monza, Paul Stoddart noticed me. I had a bad qualifying session starting last. My manager told me that if I want to get ahead with my career I must drive like hell. I passed 2 cars on the start and had a good race. it was good enough to make first impression..."

I had many more questions. I felt we could talk for hours. In the background i heard a small child and understood we should finish. We decided to continue next week.

Before the end i managed to squeeze another question.

- How do you cope with your tight schedule and you family life?
    "Last year I flew 2003 times", bloody hell I responded, "nonsense you get used to it, we could move to Europe but I prefer to have my family in Israel even if I need to make an effort for it. In the future I might consider a move to 1-2 years but I prefer to stay here".

- Plans for the future?
    Next week.
  • Thank you Boos. Good stuff !!!!

Can't wait for the continued interview !!!
  • Impressive Boos, congratulations.
  • Nice ! To be continued for a good reason. Thanks for letting us share it.
  • The Second Interview with Chanoch was done by Assaf Shalom from formula-1.co.il. I've translated it for you guys.

Enjoy.........

Second Interview With Chanoch Nissany

At the day that Minardi announced the signing of Patrick Friesacher as their number 2 driver for the 2005 season I called Chanoch. After exchange of greetings and honest interest of my well being, he begins immediately to shoot.

“Patrick is a spectacular, he is simply a supreme talent. I drove next to him in F3000 and he was simply one level above the others. Don’t be surprise if you will find him in 2 seasons driving in one of the major teams Ferrari Williams or McLaren. He is an awesome driver.

Friesacher was supposed to be a test driver for Minardi, However in a surprising move he was signed as race driver number 2. I asked Nissany if this is opening new opportunities for him to be promoted from a development test driver (number 4) to be the 3rd driver, A thing that will enable him to drive on Fridays and be the 1st replacement for the racing drivers in case of injury. Chanoch is not interested in Politics or chances. Currently the only thing that bothers him is simply to drive.

“It might happen. Currently I’m a development driver and that’s what I want to concentrate on”.

I caught Chanoch in Hungary preparing to go to Italy for a Minardi training camp.
    It is a 3 day camp which will be followed by the final Test before Australia in Imola on Saturday. Chanoch says he is not supposed to drive on Saturday, but he was asked to arrive and there is a chance he will go on track.

“It is not a development test, It’s more a practice for the drivers, so they get into shape for the race in Australia. They might let me drive couple of laps, like I did in the session on Friday 2 weeks ago, any way it’s not a development test”.

- I suppose you have a great hunger to just get into the car and drive?
    “You have no clue. Look, Being part of the formula 1 world is nice. Exposure is huge. I get interviews every day from all over the world. From the London Jewish chronicle to Frankfurter Almania. I’m there because I want to drive. And till now I didn’t do enough laps. I just wait to get Into the car get strapped and just Go and push the gas”.

- Are you going with the team to the opening race in Australia?
    “I will be there in Australia, but I’m not supposed to drive. There will be a shakeup ceremony for the car which I will be part of. I’m signed as the 4th driver, development driver, so I’m not supposed to drive on Fridays, currently the 3rd spot is still open, so there is a slight chance that I will drive the 3rd car on Friday. Once again it’s a slight chance, because it might well be that because of inner politics of Formula 1, Minardi will have to let go of a 3rd car at all in order to be allowed to participate with last years car”.

- What about Malaysia and Bahrain?
    “No, I’m not supposed to go there. When the European season begins I will be present in 70%-80% of the races”.

- What about the Jordan team, It seems that this season they will be a major flop. Is there a chance for Minardi to beat them?
    “Look now that I’m part of the team, I’m not objective and therefore the answer is sure! But it really seems to be a realistic goal for this season. Minardi took a strategic decision to invest in the new car and they for they signed 2 test drivers. Otherwise they wouldn’t need us. We are planned to have many test days only restricted by the new agreement. The new car that will be introduced in April suppose to be a big step forward for the team and I’m sure we will surprise several people on the grid”.

- What does it mean for you being a test driver? Do you wake up in the morning and go to the factory?
    “Look, it’s not exactly like that. Formula 1 is not a 08-17 work like a clerk. Basically I get from the team a time table. They say we have a test in Imola on Saturday, be there. That means be there 2-3 days prior to that and start preparations with the engineers and study lots of material. You should understand that to be in Formula 1 you have to breath it, eat it and dream it 24 hours a day”.

- So how is it reflected on a day you are not testing?
    “I spent 4-5 hours in the gym. I just got back from there”

- How was the signing ceremony in Israel for you?
    “I was very excited. I didn’t think they will come to Tel Aviv for the signing. I thought it will take place somewhere in London, after all I’m just a test driver. But they do not let me feel like one. For me it was a great gesture. I hope it will help a bit to promote motor sports in Israel. I hope it will give an example for young people in Israel that it can be done.”

And he certainly does. Chanoch proved that It can be done even when he begun from an impossible starting point. Lot’s of people will say he bought his seat and maybe it’s true, however there are lot’s of other drivers with lot’s of money that do not get to Formula 1. If he didn’t have anything to give for Minardi they wouldn’t have taken him, No matter how much money he brings with him.

The achievement of Chanoch is that he creates for young Israeli drivers a new reference point that they can aspire for. There are a lot of people that degrade it, it’s easy to be cynical, but in my opinion it’s a great achievement.

We scheduled to talk after Australia. I hope we will get to see him on track on Friday.

Assaf Shalom
  • Cool - thqanks.

Next time could you ask him to expand on what and how he trains. Detailed as he wishes to be - sets and reps etc. I for one would be quite interested in conditioning training info.
  • Cool - thqanks.

Next time could you ask him to expand on what and how he trains. Detailed as he wishes to be - sets and reps etc. I for one would be quite interested in conditioning training info.
    Since RJ is supposed to do an interview i would add it to his thread of questions.
    The interview above was not done by me i only translated it for you guys. The only other input i can give you that he eats tons of Pasta and he can't look at this kind of food anymore.
  • Thanks Boos !!!!

<It's good that Chanoch likes to talk.
    We get more info on Minardi from 1 of his interviews than from all the press together !!!!!
  • Great stuff Boos, thanks for the effort of translating.

“Patrick is a spectacular, he is simply a supreme talent. I drove next to him in F3000 and he was simply one level above the others. Don’t be surprise if you will find him in 2 seasons driving in one of the major teams Ferrari Williams or McLaren. He is an awesome driver.
    I like how he praises Firesacher. I'd like this to happen, but he's forgetting that F1 is different than the rest and sometimes a F3000 star performs poorly in F1 (or viceversa)
    It is not a development test, It’s more a practice for the drivers, so they get into shape for the race in Australia. They might let me drive couple of laps, like I did in the session on Friday 2 weeks ago, any way it’s not a development test”
    That's more info on the test than evrything else we knew so far, Rafa is 100% right..
    it might well be that because of inner politics of Formula 1, Minardi will have to let go of a 3rd car at all in order to be allowed to participate with last years car”
    Now here is something we didn't knew about consequences of stoddie messing up with Max and TOIT. Fockers :spank:
    We are planned to have many test days only restricted by the new agreement. The new car that will be introduced in April suppose to be a big step forward for the team and I’m sure we will surprise several people on the grid”
    If this is miraculously true then this are awesome news: many test days through the year to improve the car. But I find it hard to believe
    I didn’t think they will come to Tel Aviv for the signing. I thought it will take place somewhere in London, after all I’m just a test driver. But they do not let me feel like one. For me it was a great gesture
    He's definitely a nice chap + another sample of why I like Minardi.