Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Karthikeyan For Midland

First ever Indian to drive F1.

Good luck to the guy.

Comments

• His pedigree is better than many others (3 wins in Brit F3).

Still, there is much business behind it (starting from Ecclestone who wants to organize a GP in Hyderabad), also considering that F1 passion is growing and growing in India.

THe guy seems cool, though, good luck to him from me too.
  • Hope he has his moments. :)

btw, where is this info?

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by MinardiP1]
  • And Autosport talking about our Tiggy as the other driver.
  • IMHO he can't maintain concentration for a long time.

Last year in Valencia I saw him make a dumb mistake on the straight after the 1st corner:
    He was comfortably 2nd with numbers 3 and 4 way at least 4 sec. behind him when he spinned (without any apparant reason). When he continued he was 4th !!!!!

On TV-transmission of other WorldSeries races I saw more of these blunders !!!!!
  • So that'll be Karthikeyan and Glock. Gah, I was sort of hoping Doornbos would get a drive. But that'd be crazy because he could never bring enough money.

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by Stan]
  • IMHO he can't maintain concentration for a long time.

Last year in Valencia I saw him make a dumb mistake on the straight after the 1st corner:
    He was comfortably 2nd with numbers 3 and 4 way at least 4 sec. behind him when he spinned (without any apparant reason). When he continued he was 4th !!!!!

On TV-transmission of other WorldSeries races I saw more of these blunders !!!!!
    At least we should be in front of one person then, preferably more.
  • At least we should be in front of one person then, preferably more.
    yes, I DO think that was a realistic remark!
  • NOT if we have Kiesa !!!!:(
  • From The Indian Express.

He's not there yet!
    MUMBAI, FEBRUARY 1: Narain Karthikeyan is a step away from history. If things go to plan he should, within the next week, become the first Indian driver to join the high-profile, glamorous world of Formula 1.

‘‘In principle, I’ve agreed to drive for the Jordan F1 team for the 2005 season’’, a visibly elated Karthikeyan (28) told a news conference here today. ‘‘We’ll be signing the agreement in the next couple of days.’’

He’d been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, he said. ‘‘If all goes well I should be competing in the season opener at Melbourne on March 6.’’

At the moment, though, that remains a big If.

Jordan sporting director Trevor Carlin told BBC Sport that the team were in talks with Karthikeyan and that a deal was ‘‘not finalised, but is very close, about 90 per cent’’. The key, he said, was a sponsorship package.

The package seems to be around 3.5 million Euro (Rs 20 crore), though no figures were being mentioned at today’s press conference. Though representatives of both Karthikeyan’s sponsors — the Tatas and Bharat Petroleum — were at the meet, neither would talk money.

‘‘We cannot reveal the financial details. It is such a costly sport that no one would discuss such things but we wanted to be with Narain when he got his best chance this time’’, said Dr V Sumantran, executive director for Tata Motors.

Another roadblock, though of the red-tape variety, is the fact that Karthikeyan is yet to get the super licence, a mandatory document for any F1 driver. ‘‘I’ll be at Silverstone (UK) on Monday where I have to drive about 300 kilometres and get my super licence’’, he said. That’s probably when he’ll sit down with Team Jordan and sort things out.

However, the very fact that Karthikeyan is in the frame speaks volumes for his track record. Two years ago he’d lost out when offered a test driver slot by Minardi; the issue that time was financial. ‘‘That was not the right time but this certainly is’’, Sumantran said.

It’s not clear, though, how long the deal will last. Jordan were recently bought over by the Midland group, whose plan had been to enter F1 in 2006 with a car designed by the Italian constructor Dallara. The team decided instead to buy Jordan and race in 2005 as a stop-gap before the full plan is put into operation next year.

‘‘We’re a year ahead of schedule. We’re using this year as a learning year and building for 2006, so we don’t want to use up next year’s budget this year’’, said Carlin, for whom Karthikeyan drove in British Formula Three in recent years. ‘‘Narain has some good sponsors. He’s pretty quick — but a bit wild as well. He’ll be quite exciting.’’

• So that'll be Karthikeyan and Glock. Gah, I was sort of hoping Doornbos would get a drive. But that'd be crazy because he could never bring enough money.

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by Stan]
    Then why is Timo testing in the States? :rolleyes:
  • He's gone. The deal was with Judas and definitely not for 14 mil. Damned Carlin he takes 2 potential Minardi direvers. I'd have really liked to see Monteiro driving a Minardi this year.
  • Woo hoo, Minardi MIGHT have a chance against at least one Midland driver.........Sorry, he has'nt done jack as far as I can see, glad he went to Midland not Minardi........then again, what does it matter who drives a car welded to the back of the grid?
  • That Jordan sure will be welded real good huh Matt?
  • Sad to see Tiggy in yellow. :(

Does this put any others in the frame now for a Minardi drive?? If so, who??
  • Doorknobs, a la Muermans.
  • Tiggy! Noooooo! :(
  • I've read that Paul's already signed driver 2 - and since Kiesa is testing this week...
  • All Kiesa has done is finish every race about a lap or two behind the driver in front. I propose we get Badoer.
  • All Kiesa has done is finish every race about a lap or two behind the driver in front. I propose we get Badoer.
    Yet it was that sort of attitude that got Zsolt! our single point this year?
  • Hmmm, you seem to be making a good point there :cool:

There is something to say for being a consisten driver.

Nothing wrong with ending 2 laps behind the driver in front .
    Depending on who that driver is and at what position he's driving in.
  • Hmmm, you seem to be making a good point there :cool:

There is something to say for being a consisten driver.

Nothing wrong with ending 2 laps behind the driver in front .
    Depending on who that driver is and at what position he's driving in.
    What I'm saying, is given our budget, and position of the grid, is that we really can't afford to run a rookie like Sato, or Massa, who self destructed every other race. Yoong for all his faults spun cleanly, and didn't destroy his chassis.

It wasn't really Zsolt's fault that he was 2 laps down most of the time, that was a function of economics. I think he understood that better than Bruni. He held his course and collected the rarest of the rare, a Minardi point.
  • One thing is two laps down Schuey but ahead of Gimmi. A lap beind your teammate is a different stuff. I don't like Kiesa too much, but maybe he's lucky and gets a point ala Zsolt.
  • To be honest, I don't know Kiesa apart from the 5 races he drove for us.
    He had NO previous F1 experience and did not know the PS03. Btw, the PS03 was a dog!!!!!

IF he gets the seat, he will have tested before the season and will get the chance to race from the beginning of the season.
    Maybe he will up his game (like Zsolt last year) !!!!

But....... maybe I'm wrong !!!:P
  • Ok People misunderstood me.

I meant Kiesa always finishes one or two laps behind his team mate. Zsolt didn't.

Zsolt is a better driver than Kiesa but I still want Badoer in the car.
  • dream on;)
  • That Jordan sure will be welded real good huh Matt?
    Sorry jello I meant Minardi!
  • I've seen nothing to suggest that will be the case.
  • but I still want Badoer in the car.
    Listen to Salvo. HE surely likes GCM a lot, but Minardi can't simply afford it. And I don't think he returns if the car is not competitive enough, no matter the dosh. He could've raced again but decided to stay in TOIT. Another ex-minardi good italian driver wasted :spank:
  • It can not be true!! This dutch site says that K. pays 23.5 million euro to drive a Jordan/Midland !

http://www.racefreaks.nl/nieuws_show.rp?berichtid=9463

For half the money he would have been welcome at Minardi.
  • For half the money he would have been welcome at Minardi.
    maybe he doesn't like the food there...