Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Qualifying

I thought we had reversed to the multi lap qualifying format??
Qualifying
The 2005 race weekend will feature one qualifying session on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday morning.

The first session will run from 1300 to 1400 on Saturday and will, as in 2004, be single lap qualifying, with the cars going out in the reverse order of their finishing positions at the previous race.

The second session, from 1000 to 1100 on Sunday, will also use the single lap format, with the cars going out in the reverse order of the qualifying on Saturday (i.e. the fastest car on Saturday runs last on Sunday).

The cars will run on Saturday with unrestricted fuel. They will then go into parc ferme after this qualifying session and for the Sunday qualifying session they will run with race fuel, having been allowed to refuel before the second qualifying session. They will not be allowed to refuel again before the race starts.

The times of the two sessions will be aggregated to determine the grid, with the shortest aggregate time in pole position.
what a botchy solution!

Comments

• It's a bit like the special slalom and giant slalom in skying (the two manches).

Boh, It seems just like an artificial redoubling of the thrill, but without any value added.

• So much brain power devoted to a problem, such a poor result. ITV in the UK have gone as far as to stop showing the critical session.

Real stupid.
  • the mind boggles!

complications for nothing!
  • so basically you don't know if they are close to poll until someone calculates the times.........sounds exciting...NOT!
  • I don't know why, but I like it.
  • Oh dear, so when the aggregate times come up, instead of showing Minardi +5 seconds off the pace, it'll show up as Minardi +10 secs of the pace.

Brilliant :rolleyes:
  • Uh, not quite.

+4 in session one
    +5 in session two

Aggregate=4.5
  • The good thing about it is the fact that there will be something to see/do Sunday morn prior to the race. I don't know about you but a few hours just sitting about and only seeing the F1 rides at race time is a drag.
  • Last year the Minardiis were not that far behind in the first qualifing session, so the aggregate will look better than posting the finial qualifing time.
  • I disagree with you quig: as someone who likes to sleep in, getting up early on Sunday March 6 to be at the track at 9.30am doesn't sit too well with me. :mad: ;)
  • Though I'm sure there are many people who do like the idea.

One wonders if there will be a decrease in Saturday attendance now that all the sessions that matter are being held on the Sunday...
  • Also, watching the races from Europe at 7 AM is bad enough. When do I have to get up for Qual, 3? That sucks for us in the Americas.
  • VCR or TiVo people. Get with the modern age.
  • Quig, your people need to speak with the AustGP people. There's all sorts of going's on here before the main event.
  • That is cool. Indy? There is a marching band and some stupid country music and a whole lot of nothing.

Either way the more time the F1 rigs are on the track the better.
  • so basically you don't know if they are close to poll until someone calculates the times.........sounds exciting...NOT!
    It doesn't have to be that way. When you start the second session they mustn't let the clock start at 0 seconds but with the result from the first session. The result of the second session is then the same as the total time.
  • IMHO - A Disaster of a format :mad:
    The best thing about one lap quallifying is that it sometimes produced topsy-turvy grids which led to great races.

Averaging times will reduce the benefit of drivers making banzai attempts to gain better grid position than their car would normally achieve :(
  • I liked the 2003 format !!!
  • Uh, not quite.

+4 in session one
    +5 in session two

Aggregate=4.5
    Aggregate = total, not average, so it would be +9 secs in total
  • Here, Here Minardus.

How many times do I have to say this before Bernie floats through FM.com and picks it up!!!!!!!

Quig, here we have V8's, FFord's and so on. BTW, there is no such thing as stupid country music.
  • there is no such thing as stupid country music.
    Oz, don't get me started.

Quig, Oz is right on one thing. With the Aus GP, there is stuff happening from 8am, big support show on all 4 days.

Other GP's should take a leaf out of the way the Aus GP corp conduct the weekend. Hell we even had Nascars racing one year.
  • BTW, there is no such thing as stupid country music.
  • Quig, that's Hillbilly music, or the Western part of the old Country & Western. We don't call it that anymore, it's just country music.

C'mon Roo wait till next week, we'll lay back to Alan Jackson, George Strait and much much more. :D You'll be a convert by the weekend's finish.
  • NFW Oz.

This hatred runs deep.
  • NFW - classic Roo.

OZ - hate to tell you but bluegrass and old ass "western" music is what I consider real. Sons of the Pioneers, Tex Ritter. etc etc No shit - take a listen as that is what I consider the soul of that genre.
  • Qualifying is getting out of hand. Bring back the hour long session with 12 laps per driver. That was fun.
  • What happens if you don't set a time in the qualifying on Saturday. Do you just not bother coming out on Sunday morning, or go around real slow (conserving tires).

Would look pretty stupid.