Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

No more F1x2 ?

From Crash.net
(Best bits at the bottom..)
After two days of testing potential drivers and developments aimed at next year's Formula One world championship, the Minardi team interrupted its Misano schedule to focus on its increasingly-popular F1x2 two-seater programme.

During the course of the day, Christijan Albers, Patrick Friesacher, Zsolt Baumgartner and Nicolas Kiesa took some 45 passengers for high-speed tours of the 4.060km Autodromo Santamonica circuit and, by the end of the day, the cars had covered a combined total of 550km. The majority of the guests were present at the behest of tyre supplier Bridgestone and commercial partners Superfund and Global Group, and more will be on hand to sample F1 power when the two-seaters return to action at the same venue on Friday.

"It has been another successful day for the F1x2 programme and, once again, it seems a lot of excited and happy individuals have stepped out of the cars at the end of their rides," commented programme manager Richard Salisbury, "As usual, the drivers all did an excellent job, and I'd like two thank them for their efforts. We will be back in action on Friday, which will mark our penultimate two-seater date this year ahead of the Bologna Motor Show in ten day's time."

For both Albers and Kiesa, the chance to drive the F1x2 marked a return to the Minardi fold, with the Dutch DTM frontrunner using his time on track to reacclimatise ahead of a scheduled run in the Cosworth-powered PS04B competition car this morning [Thursday]. Kiesa, meanwhile, was making a more regular appearance in the two-seater.

"This is my sixth time driving the F1x2 this year, but it's the first time I've driven at Misano," the Dane, who raced for Minardi in the 2003 F1 championship, "I have to say that I liked the circuit. There are quite a few corners where you can really accelerate on the exit and, combined with very good grip and traction from the chassis, it gives the passengers an accurate sense of what F1 performance is all about."

Albers is due on track this morning, with promising Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado taking over in the afternoon session. The pair are the last of this week's 'newcomers;, following on from Patrick Friesacher, Chanoch Nissany, Will Power and Will Davison, who all tested on the first couple of days. Regular test driver Tiago Monteiro was also in action.

Whilst the F1x2 programme will be put to bed after the Bologna Motor Show next month, it could make an unexpectedly early return to action in 2005, with a possible appearance at the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar meeting in Adelaide.
[Edited on 26/11/2004 by Clown]

Comments

• God this program has needed the coup de grace for way too long.

I think PS needs a 12 step program to get off it.

Note to Paul...

The F1 x 2 program is a waste of resources - can it post haste.

Your truly

MCSF
  • They mean for the year. Bologna is the last schedule stop for 2004.
  • No they're saying its over, but it might make an appearance in Adelaide.
  • 'They' are wrong.
    RICHARD SALISBURY, Minardi F1x2 Team
    "It has been another successful day for the Minardi F1x2 programme, and once again, it seems a lot of excited and happy individuals have stepped out of the cars at the end of there passenger rides. As usual, the drivers all did an excellent job, and I'd like to thank them for their efforts. We will now start getting the cars ready for Friday, which will mark our penultimate two-seater date this year, the final appearance being at the Bologna Motor Show in 10 day's time."
  • I guess we'll wait and see...
  • Maybe they'll return on Avons with Gazprom stickers?

Wanna bet?
  • It just means that they have no more "BOOKINGS" for F1x2 events in their agenda.

Bookings can always e made, mind you !!
  • We will now start getting the cars ready for Friday, which will mark our penultimate two-seater date this year, the final appearance being at the Bologna Motor Show in 10 day's time."
    So they will probably be back next year.

This will give the team some uninterupted weeks (at least till january) to concentrate on developing the 2005 car :)

[Edited on 26/11/2004 by JumpeySpyder]
  • Well unless the auctioned two seater drives (from fire sale) are going to run in Bologna, the F1X2 team will have to be back next year.

I'm behind Quig on this one, get rid of it. It has had its day. I certainly don't agree with Jetset's view that the F1x2 program does not take anything away from the race team........Minardi is a small team. The same guys who run the F1 program run these days. They do a good job as I have been a guest at such an event and seen them work.
    However to move your focus from F1x2 to F1 and back again through the course of the season is a heavy undertaking. Get rid of it Paul and let these guys have complete focus on what you should be doing..........creating a viable F1 team.
  • From TOMS:
    Both the Minardi F1 and F1x2 teams have put in serious effort here.
    2 teams, 'nuff said !!
  • Well unless the auctioned two seater drives (from fire sale) are going to run in Bologna, the F1X2 team will have to be back next year.
    They were auctioned to be taken at the test last week.
  • Not all of them where to be run at the test. Some where for future Minardi 2-seater events.
  • I don't think that most are getting the point about the 2 seaters. As much as they bleed resources they actually offer our sponsors a benefit which makes sponsoring our cars worthwhile.

And here is the vicious circle. People unsure that they want to sponsor us. F1 x 2 makes them commit. Minardi have to provide a day of fun. Offers more exposure....especially when other teams would hog the PR and gives sponsors a feel good tingle in the body....I know you all know this....but I have to ask the question....why would you want to get rid of it when it provides benefits to our sponsors.......If we do get rid of it the next thing that we complain about is the lack of sponsors on our cars!

Can't have your cake...........
  • 2 teams, 'nuff said !!
    I beg to differ. If there were two teams how come Walton and Stoddart were there, the drivers, the crew you see on race weekends in the pits were there too.........definately not TWO sepearate crews
  • Though I'm not sure about how much worth is this, don't forget that most of the passengers came from a)Bridgestone, who is providing the team with extra help and test time with free tires, and b)Superfund, one of the most loyal sponsors of the stoddie era, increasing its amount year by year.
    I wouldn't mind keeping the 2-seaters to have this two happy.
  • [quote]2 teams, 'nuff said !!
    I beg to differ. If there were two teams how come Walton and Stoddart were there, the drivers, the crew you see on race weekends in the pits were there too.........definately not TWO sepearate crews
    [/quote]

Isn't John Walton dead...?
  • Isn't John Walton dead...?
    Apparantly not!
    :rolleyes:

Just Golden Matt, GOLDEN:hehe:
  • Oh dear.
  • Sorry guys I was talking about when we were at Thunder at the Rock. Both Stoddart and Walton were there..........Sorry I did'nt make it clearer.