Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Cosworth vs Honda

I must admit to being a tad surprised when I read RBR where looking at a supply of V8s from Honda.
If there was one engine manufacturer I would put money on to produce a race winning V8 it would be cosworth.
Whats interesting is that new consortium seems to have let the engineers concentrate on technology rather than freeze development. Which was the situation when the company was run by the bean counters in Dearbourne.

Comments

• But with the top teams spending upwards of $100m on their engine programmes, where does that leave Cosworth if they've only two to three potential customers, looking for deals for $10m? Their engineers might be first rate, but the market doesn't seem to suit their current position.
  • The current Cosworth was developed with Ford money, but Ford doesn't own Cosworth anymore: mr. Kalkhoven and mr. Forsythe do, and what exactly do they have to gain with by building a good F1 engine??, they only took over the company to ensure their Champcar engine suply.
  • I don't see Cosworth staying beyond 2006 unless they sell the F1 branch to a carmaker.
  • I'm with Jello - I won't be buying any Cossie stock in the near future.
  • Cosworth dont own the CART engine supply - CART do.

Kalkhoven bought Cosworth because he wanted in on F1.
  • I've heard the same as Brooksey, minus the F1 part. I've heard it was to be on an international level.
  • Some important points. Ford CUT money on R and D last year. The fact that Cosworth have a competitive V10 and V8 on bech test is because the new owners have funded a program.
    I don't think Cosworth intend to ditch F1 too soon. Looks like Frank Williams is looking to them as a potential suppler as well.
  • Cosworth dont own the CART engine supply - CART do.

those engines are built and maintained by Cosworth, that's why kalkhoven and Forsythe bought Cosworth.
  • They could easily have taken their business to Judd.
  • Williams are already looking for another enginedeal because BMW is planning to takeover Sauber.
    Maybe bad news for Minardi, Williams are talking with Cosworth (and also Toyota). Or is it good news, meaning it is affordable for Cosworth to stay in F1, building engines for a topteam and supply Minardi with engines aswell?
  • Williams and Cosworth?

That would be interesting.
    I mean, the only strenght of Williams for the past three years has been the BMW engine.
  • BMW should stick with what they're good at - making engines. They're not likely to better Williams' overall performance.
    It seems that the manufacturers tend to overlook how difficult it is to create a successful F1 team. Toyota must be a good example to all who are aspiring to have their own teams.
  • Depends Fox, take a look at Renault now. BMW wouldn't be starting from scratch like Tojo. Thery're buying a competitive team with nice infrastructure. I think htey can make it. Williams biggest mistake last years was paying fortunes to Ralfie for driving one of his cars. Wrong driver. Same as Ron with DC. And they paid for their mistakes, TOIT completely blasting them.
  • Williams and Cosworth?

I mean, the only strenght of Williams for the past three years has been the BMW engine.
    The FW25 was the best chassis of 2003.
  • [quote]Cosworth dont own the CART engine supply - CART do.

those engines are built and maintained by Cosworth, that's why kalkhoven and Forsythe bought Cosworth. [/quote]Champ Car LLC (Kalkhoven, Forsythe and Gentalozzi) own the engines, and Cosworth (Kalkhoven and Forsythe) are contracted to service them.
  • [quote]Williams and Cosworth?

The FW25 was the best chassis of 2003. [/quote]
    Well, that one was good. But I still think the Ferrari chassis was better.