Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Malaysia thread

First practice looking a bit sad - nigh on 10 seconds off the pace! :o

Comments

• Look on the bright side - we actually PARTICIPATED in the first practice!!!!!!!!!!

woooo hoooooo
  • Firrrst Praactice...hhhmmmmmm!
  • we were probably in race spec. others would run light.
    I think we should all relax and not expect anything until Imola.
  • we were probably in race spec. others would run light.
    I think we should all relax and not expect anything until Imola.

:rolleyes:
  • People think Minardi should be embarrassed. I think that the rest of the teams should be, considering how close Minardi are to them.
  • what happened to webbo?
  • Webber problem didn't even complete 1 lap in 2nd practice.

Both Minardis about 5 seconds off the pace. 5 seconds gained between 1st and 2nd practice. The rate we're closing on the big boys this weekend we could dominate. ;)
  • Friday Practice 2 times:-

1 12 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:35.608
    2 10 Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 1:35.620
    3 38 Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:35.677
    4 9 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:35.719
    5 17 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 1:35.838
    6 6 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 1:35.841
    7 2 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:35.949
    8 3 Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:35.992
    9 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:36.103
    10 14 David Coulthard Red Bull Racing 1:36.57
    11 16 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:36.841
    12 15 Christian Klien Red Bull Racing 1:36.968
    13 35 Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1:37.033
    14 4 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:37.044
    15 8 Nick Heidfeld Williams-BMW 1:37.067
    16 1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:37.270
    17 39 Robert Doornbos Jordan-Toyota 1:37.878
    18 11 Jacques Villeneuve Sauber-Petronas 1:38.121
    19 19 Narain Karthikeyan Jordan-Toyota 1:38.855
    20 37 Vitantonio Liuzzi Red Bull Racing 1:39.349
    21 18 Tiago Monteiro Jordan-Toyota 1:39.755
    22 20 Patrick Friesacher Minardi-Cosworth 1:40.940
    23 21 Christijan Albers Minardi-Cosworth 1:41.156

24 7 Mark Webber Williams-BMW

5 seconds off the pace :( - but we improved by around 3 seconds from practice 1 well done mechanics and drivers.
  • we need to get a 3rd car in practice.
  • what happened to webbo?
    Gearbox problems. Typical Williams.
  • Malaysian G.P. - Free practice

BAPTISM OF HEAT

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA, March 18, 2005

After nearly a week spent acclimatising to the heat and humidity of Kuala Lumpur, Minardi F1 Team drivers Christijan Albers and Patrick Friesacher today had their first chance to sample the challenging Sepang International Circuit, scene of Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix. Driving interim Minardi Cosworth PS04B chassis, the men spent Friday’s two one-hour practice sessions familiarising themselves with the 5.543-km track and adjusting the handling of their cars to suit. Albers and Friesacher both reported that circuit grip levels improved during the morning, and subsequently made progress with chassis set-up in the afternoon session.

PATRICK FRIESACHER
    Position: 22
    Time: 1 min 40.940 secs Chassis: (No 20) PS04B/02
    “I’m happy with the job we did today because we improved the car quite a lot and discovered some interesting information about the diffuser. I’m also feeling more comfortable in the car than I did in Australia, but we still have some work to do on overall car balance. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and making a further step forward. As usual, the mechanics did a really good job and the car ran reliably throughout both sessions.”

CHRISTIJAN ALBERS
    Position: 23
    Time: 1 min 41.156 secs Chassis: (No 21) PS04B/04
    “It was a good day overall, and I think we made some progress. Patrick and I were both trying different aerodynamic parts and chassis set-ups. It’s a shame that the level of traffic meant I wasn’t able to get as much as I would have liked out of the new tyres, but the most important thing to focus on now is qualifying tomorrow, and we’ll see what we can do then.”

PAUL STODDART, Team Principal, Minardi Cosworth

“It’s clear to everyone that the 2005 regulations are a resounding success – so much so that they’ve succeeded in adding more than three seconds to Minardi lap times compared with last year. Furthermore, it is interesting to note that, in the first practice session today, in near-identical climatic conditions to 2004, the top 10 cars were, without exception, faster than last year.”

Stoddy spot on here. Max is shit.
  • we need to get a 3rd car in practice.
    Untill Imola we won't !!!
    It's to costfull and useless to drive a 3rd PS04B overseas !!!!

But we REALLY need to have a 3rd driver once the European races get going !!!!
  • Those times are perfectly respectable in the circumstances for the 04B. A new car and an engine with around 100 more horses should leave those Jordans well adrift, and bring us onto the tail of some of the others.

And SteVefan, don't even think about it....You know in your heart the rest of us are right.
  • I think the real times are what the cars do in race spec. Everyones going to faster with fresh boots on. What happens midway through the race when the tyres go off. Stoddart better be careful, Moseley and co won't take this lying down.
  • “It’s clear to everyone that the 2005 regulations are a resounding success – so much so that they’ve succeeded in adding more than three seconds to Minardi lap times compared with last year. Furthermore, it is interesting to note that, in the first practice session today, in near-identical climatic conditions to 2004, the top 10 cars were, without exception, faster than last year.”
    Says it as it is eh!
  • Stoddart no longer has anything left to lose - he's already made his bed, now he has to lie on it. Anything further he says will be a combination of righteous anger and of playing to the public gallery, thereby forestalling any attempts by Max at direct revenge.

Max, however, loses for every day this thing goes on, as his potential electorate view the chaos. Its an embrace of death, with no winners.

At least we have two evenly matched and competent drivers this year. That will be interesting to watch.
  • Thanks Jello for posting that - but did yours come from Fabiana?
  • 1,2 Secounds behind the Jordans. I think that's not too bad, we could close this cap with a new car.........:P
  • you are not looking at the fastes Jordan............
  • The fastest Jordan driver is not a RACE driver (thank god;))
  • Thanks Jello for posting that - but did yours come from Fabiana?
    www.minardi.it
  • Stoddy spot on here. Max is shit.
    Ok Jello, I know what you are saying - or think I do. Lap times have not been reduced as per Max's "plan". However, with a Frankencar with an old lump detuned to making it last two races and hard hard tires we are holding pace - actually closer than I would have thought.

In my mind that is a victory for the Faenza crowd. No budget, small staff, 2002 era chassis and we are still improving.

Does not sound all that bad to me.
  • Quig, have to correct you on the detuned engines.
    Our engines will run like last season. That's why Patrick changed it for this weekend (as well as Albers) !!!!
    Pat will however get the penalty !!!:(
  • it doesn't matter very much if tou are 19th or 20th, if you can finish the race with the new engine it is a better option.
  • I just meant in general Quigs. F1 is no safer this year than last, sans for the kevlar covering (That's not to say that F1 isn't safe, it has an excellent safety record in the modern Formula)s. If anything, it's less safe with this new tyre rule. Lap times and cornering speeds remain the same.

Swing and a miss for Max. Again.
  • very very good chance of showers in qual 1 today...
  • our boys are killing the field in the first 20mins of practice 3!

one-two for minardi in first 20 mins. of any f1 practice must be a record eh?
  • Any idea how/why? Is everybody else still parked?
  • everyone else still parked...:spank:
  • Nonetheless - I can't wait to see the TV coverage. If the only on track action is us then all of our big time high dollar sponsors will be getting exposure!

FORZA BETA!