Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Shifting heirarchy?

Looks like TOIT are well and truly on the backfoot. Their own fault really. Crass stupidity to bring the old car when it was already off the pace in Brazil.
Looks like the 2 tyre companies have gone different routes. Bibendum looks like a pure performance tyre, while Bridgestone has gone for consistency and durability. Problem is that Michelin are doing all the damage in the first half of the race. In Malaysia Alonso was 40s up on Schumacher by half distance. You won't make that deficit back no matter how consistent your tyre is.
BTW did anyone notice the fastest lap of the race. Over a second slower than last year's. Makes Stoddart look stupid with his comments on Friday, cos cars will never run on new tyres and low fuel during the race.
Also re: lap times Alber's best lap was 8s off the pace. Taking that into consideration the new car would have to be 5s a lap fasterthan the current model. What are the chances of that?

Comments

• I would be content with the 4 seconds between Villeneuve and Albers to be chopped down.
  • I wouldnt think Stoddart looks silly at the moment.

The FIA has been changing rules left right and centre for "safety". Cars are now getting around with no grip, Fisi had nothing left according to Webber...

If Fisi had fresh tyres, the pile up would have been avoided. Safety has been compromised by this rule change, and it was witnessed at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
  • How is safety compromised? Has there been a spte of tyre failures? The fact is the lap times have been slowed and cornering speeds are down. The point at which the car looses adherence within a corner is a function of grip, and thats reduced.
    As for Stoddart you may not have noticed but both Ecclestone and Moseley are not dealing with him anymore. They are now concentrating their time on Frank Williams and Ron Dennis.
  • I wouldn't say that Bernie or Max are as comfortable as they might like to indicate. While BE is never exactly a relaxed individual, his body language and manoevrings around the paddock conveyed some agitation and apprehension.

...reminiscent of Austria, 2002, when matters were also at the brink.

Stoddie has brought out their vulnerability and fallibility, and I think they know Stoddie well enough to know he won't rollover and yield to their strongman tactics. They're not saying it but they know the sport needs Minardi, while at the same time Minardi desperately needs to improve it's position.

They might think they're the master tacticians but they need to be wary about the sting at the tail of the grid.

Give in to them and where do you finish up?
  • Giving in is not an option but I think the tactics of PS should be modified - holding orr attempting to hold F1 hostage is not a good solution.

What is? F if I know but not the tac we are/were on.

• They might think they're the master tacticians but they need to be wary about the sting at the tail of the grid.
    I like that Doc. PS the Scorpion.
  • Last year the story was that the Bridgestones didn't suit the Sauber (F2003) because the aero was different. Surely that might be expounded this year and the Bridgestones might look a completely different story on the F2005 if that's the car they've been developed for?:rolleyes:
  • According to Bridgestone they just introduced a new construction at Ferrari's Mugello test. They're tailor made for the F2005, the old type being made for the F2004.
  • How is safety compromised? The point at which the car looses adherence within a corner is a function of grip, and thats reduced
    If the point where the car parks in in the gravel or a nearby contender is a "function of grip", and that is reduced, the sport is clearly less safe (according to your logic).

Ohh.. look, I apologise. I thought during the race I saw Fisichella mounting Webbers car because his tyres had gone off. I thought I saw a tyre delaminating at high speed down the straight on the McLaren... I thought I saw a Ferrari retire from the race because of... bald rears!
  • Hehehe!

Junior that's funny. Petrol, what are you on about.

• Also re: lap times Alber's best lap was 8s off the pace. Taking that into consideration the new car would have to be 5s a lap fasterthan the current model. What are the chances of that?
    I won't argue that the cars aren't slow at the moment, but you should try and get the times right. CA was just under 7 seconds off the pace and this was with the other Bridgestone teams dropping a second or more to the Michelin teams.

At the moment the gap to the nearest Jordan is about 2 seconds. The gap to the rest of the field is about 4 but at least one is due to tires. So if the new car is faster and Bridgestone can up their game (and let Minardi in on it), the Team maybe able to get the Jordans and latch on to the back of the field.

• Just a little observation about comparing fastest laps during a race.

For a start, the best time of Albers was 4.6 seconds off the average of the field. This is consistent with the time that it took Alonso to lap him.

Also, the effect of lapping has a mjor impact on the fastest time that Albers could set. Most cars will set their best laps near the end of a fuel load. In normal races this is usually towards the end of the race. With the single set of tyres it is towards the end of the first stint. This is borne out by looking at the average fastest lap for each competitor. This was lap 20, immediately before the stops (it is also the median for those that want to argue).

Albers didn't get the chance to set a fastest lap on low fuel because he was already in the process of moving over to be lapped by the field by that time (his fastest was set on lap12, immediately before being lapped). I think that we can resonably presume that he could have achieved a lap close to 41 dead by lap 20 which puts the Minardi at 3.6 seconds behind the field. Take it further and you will see that Friedchicken was over a second faster than Albers over the weekend which would put his time at say, 39.8. So Minardi are only 2 seconds off the pace.

Moving logically forward, that means that if we get 1.5 seconds from the engine and two seconds from the aero improvements, then we will be1.5 seconds faster than the field and lapping cars by the end of the race at Imola.

Makes ya feel good, doesn't it?

Forza Minardi!!!
  • Also, to comply with 2005 regs, Minardi butchered those cars in Oz with grinders and patched with glue. Hardly sound engineering. Those cars were snaking down the straight.

What are the chances of the PS05 being quicker? Friggin easy!

• I like your way of thinking Lease, thats the best arguement I've heard all year:cool:
  • Junio min you really should take a close look at the facts. Raikkonen's tyre failed because of a faulty vale. That could happen with any set of tyres. Barrichello chose to run the softer compound and paid the price. Fisichella' s accident occurred in a heavy braking area at low speed.
    The point is the new rules favour the car/driver combination that conserves tyres best, which is what racing in the late eighties was all about.
    As for the relative speed of the Minardi, 2s fom the engine and 1.5s from the chassis. I've got serious doubts.
    No testing, unprooven design staff and Bridgestone constantly changing constructions and compounds should put paid to that thesis.
  • No testing, unprooven design staff and Bridgestone constantly changing constructions and compounds should put paid to that thesis.
    How true. But I guess that we could get 2-2,5 seconds faster easily. We can fight with Jordan and beat them
  • heavy braking area at low speed...

so which is it?? If he is braking heavily, whilst not going very fast... then why was he then sitting on Mark Webbers nose?

mmm... maybe something to do with having no freaking grip on tyres that were obviously shot. Me thinks your logic is a function of bong over weed multiplied by some serious choofing...
  • heavy braking area at low speed...

so which is it?? If he is braking heavily, whilst not going very fast... then why was he then sitting on Mark Webbers nose?

mmm... maybe something to do with having no freaking grip on tyres that were obviously shot. Me thinks your logic is a function of bong over weed multiplied by some serious choofing...
    I did see Fisico slide over the track. No grip at all !!!!
    According to Bridgestone they just introduced a new construction at Ferrari's Mugello test. They're tailor made for the F2005, the old type being made for the F2004.
    Let's hope the also suit the PS05 !!!!:angel:
  • In Bahrein we are going to see the F2005 finally racing.

So we'll see if the usual hierarchies shall be maintained, or if we are going to have a thrilling season until Shangai.

total 3.5 secs from the combination aero+new engine? SOunds like a dream, but Minardi fans must be by definition romantic dreamers, so why not?
  • as romantic as you, manlio
  • definatly as romantic as im going to imola!!!!!! cant wait!!!!!!!!!

not long now!!! Hmmmmm i wonder when my passports going to come back???

less than a month to go :D:D::D

Any news on the itinery?
  • Stoddart should make a deal with Bernie and Ferrari. We'll agree to their terms and sign up to Bernies Flying Circus in exchange for each new Ferrari's suspension geometry specs (to suit the Bridgestones) from now until the Concorde agreement ends. :D