Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Engineering question

I've come across this many a time but don't know what it means: Guys, what is an ISO standard? Allegrini for example mentions they produce to ISO 9002 standards, what does that mean?

Comments

• ISO - International Organization for Standardization. In real terms it is shotgun full of red tape.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/introduction/index.html

Basically they have a varied range of standars for different industries that help controal and standardize the way things get done so that companies or people who do business globally and who have things made, worked on etc etc can all work to the same standard and itegrate that into their business model.

here is the catch. The company that certifies you is paid for BY you. Then, once you achieve certification they always seem to find a way to keep you paying in order to keep you certified. We did it here at NASA ands then, after finding our how much bullshit it was have all but abandoned it. I mean the excercise of getting our house in order was a good one but once we got there this company would make changes so they could keep their job!

in addition we had to put people FULL TIME on this project. No productive work out of these people for the few years it took to get acredited.

Good in theory but poorly executed. Many companies are moving away from it.
  • International Standardization Organisation. (Or International Organisation for Standardization).

It's an organisation supervising the creation of standards for all imaginable sectors of society. (From engineering to matchboxes to office document layouts to toboggan sizes to mathematical expressions). It divides in many subcommitees where different industries and national organisations are present.

ISO 9000 series standards are standards regulating procedures for quality control.

I worked a few years ago two summers at Finnish Organisation for Standardization in proofreading so I've browsed through quite a lot of even quite amusing standards.