Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

OZ Minardi - Get ready!

F1, wild and in the streets of Melbourne?

28/11/2004

It appears that Melbourne is to host an event similar to that held on the streets of London in the summer, as the Australian city prepares to celebrate ten years of F1.

The Australian media is reporting that the Australian Grand Prix Corporation has approached the Melbourne City Council, with a view to helping organize and fund the event, which is provisionally scheduled for Wednesday 2 March.

"I've had an approach from the Grand Prix Corporation, the chief executive of Melbourne City Council, David Pitchford, told The Age. "It appears to be a seriously good branding exercise. This is exposure for the city you just couldn't buy. If it's feasible I'll put a recommendation to the council as soon as it's sworn in."

However, he was quick to add that no decision has been made, mindful of the fact that there are many who resent the fact that the Grand Prix is held in the city's Albert Park. Further disruption, not to mention financial burden, on the city and its taxpayers, might no go down too well.

A similar event in London during the summer attracted almost half-a-million spectators, leading to speculation that the English capital could host a round of the world championship at a future date. However, widespread disruption, poor planning, and (typically) yobbish behaviour is likely to mean that a London Grand Prix will remain a fantasy.

Comments

• Ahem.................being somewhat new to the city in question, my response would be; are they out of their effing minds?

For a start, Melbourne CBD is a grid; all right angles. Second of all, practically every street is infested with tram lines; surely an exciting prospect for a GP car. Lastly, if I can't get across to my favourite shop for a chicken ceasar at lunchtime, then there will be words spoken!

I believe the organisers are letting people in to day 1 of the GP for nix. Nice touch.
  • Lease ol chum, apparantly under the cover of darkness, the GP corporation aided by some burly chaps pushed an old Minardi around the streets to check on clearance with the tram tracks. Verdict- Its a goer!!!
  • Lease, Thursday is the day that everybody is being let for nix. Aren't Minardi launching in the city on Thursday?

Might have to be in Melb by Tuesday instead of Wednesday.
  • Oz, I think the team will launch at the track on "Tight arse Thursday";), Sorry, I mean't People's Day.:hehe:
  • Lease ol chum, apparantly under the cover of darkness, the GP corporation aided by some burly chaps pushed an old Minardi around the streets to check on clearance with the tram tracks. Verdict- Its a goer!!!
    You've gotta be shitting me! :o

I reckon you will have front wings being bent all over the place - Melbourne does have a nice layout but the the right angle turns will mean it looks very champ car ish.. ;)

Spencer Street as the main straight would be nice!
    Did they take into account the change in ride height due to aerodynamics when the car is going significantly faster than when a half dozen people casually push it down the street?
  • Let's hope not. Tram lines should be fun but not as much as the thought of Lease dodging Zsolt on his way to lunch.
  • couple of things...

...ride height should increase as cars go faster due to greater pressure in the tyres, although they'll hardly be going fast enough to get any pressure at all in them...

secondly, frong wings are higher this year...

thirdly.. who cares, lets do it! It'll get the people out, it'll create interest, and it'll be a blast. Honestly, if the Jordan bottoms out on a tram track, why would I care?

Lets hope PS brings the two seaters!! I'm up for a ride!

...saw the van again in Coburg. This time a brand new Mercedes van with huge minardi stickers on it, not three blocks from where I live. I got a pic with my phone, but by the time I got the digital camera and ducked back... it had gone. I reckon PS must have grown up really close to where I am now.