Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

some pictures from the USGP

Thought I would throw up a couple of the pics I got at Indy this past weekend..... first set of shots were taken on Friday.... from turn 10 during the 1st session through the fencing and from turn 9 in the 2nd session. Sure going to miss this aspect of the USGP.......

CA taken at turn 9

CA taken coming out of turn 10

Minardi-ex in turn 10

Fosters sign gives a nice background to this shot

Patrick in turn 10

minardi-ex at turn 9

Kimi out of turn 10

JV out of 10

JB out of 10

Kimi in turn 9

Scott Speed out of turn 10

Michael heading toward turn 11

A diferent view of Fred in turn 9

C. Klein with the Foster's sign as a backdrop...

that's enough for now....... I will take a peak oat my Saturday stuff...........................

ciao

Comments

• Bravo!
  • Top stuff Murph. You'll go far.
  • Speaking of that - did anybody in Faenza contact you about your work?
  • Great pics, keep them coming!!!!
  • No these are not great pics. These are by the Master these are the pics!
  • Great job Murph as always!!:cool:
  • thumbs up!!!
  • "Speaking of that - did anybody in Faenza contact you about your work?"

'nah............... but would that be a dream come true!!!! ..............would make Mrs. Murphy very happy to send my sorry ass off to Faenza for a spell... a long spell!!!

Emmo....... tell Masimo I would be more than happy to sweep up around the factory..... I can also help make & then taste test the expresso........ and with me around as a comparison, Paul would actually look stylish.................... I'll be waiting for "The Call"........ hehehe

• Murph, without divulging trade secrets can you give us "apprentice snappers" an idea of what equipment you use, film (if not digital) shutter speeds, lens's etc.

Not that my shots totally suck when it comes to F1..... well............ yes they do actually.

Please Master...
  • Murph - Workin' up something to send to the boys and girls in my favorite town in Italy.
  • SuperRoo

I went digital last year.......expensive as hell but there are so many plusses to it. 3 big plusses off the bat are......

1) you see instantly if ya got the shot instead of 2 weeks later.... plus ya delete all the crap right away...and i shoot a lot of crap.

2) you can change your ISO whenever you want.....sun is out, ya go to 100 or 200.....clouds roll in, ya pop up to 400.....and there is an absence of grain in the pics...not so with slides....

3) film costs are minimal...... you can use your compact flash card over & over..... bought a 2GB CF card for $200....with slide film I would buy a "brick" (20 rolls) for over $100 and then pay another $200 to get it developed.....if i go to 4 or 5 races a year, with film I'm out $1200-1500.....compared to the $200 flash card.... with the $$$ difference I can purchase Photoshop CS and now I can tweak & print up my pics....

When I shot film, I used Nikon...I went to Canon (EOS-1D Mark II) with digital because their lenses are sharper and their autofocus is faster.

I bought 3 lenses but mostly use the 400mm f5.6.....all of the pics in this thread were with the 400.....BIG advantage of the 400 is that at ground level I can shoot through fencing (at Imola, 2 rows of fencing) and by using f8 or f11 the fencing is not visible.....all the shots from turn 10 were taken through fencing...the 3 pics from turn 9 were taken in a "fence free" area. At Imola, I used a 1.4X tele-extender with good results. I have found that anything less then a 400 and you will pick up the fencing. When Ger & I were at Spa last year, there I was able to use my 70-200mm f2.8 zoom because we were not obstructed by fencing yet we were so close to the track I had to set my zoom for 90-100mm to get the whole car in the frame...anything larger and I was cutting the car in half. My other lens is the 300 f4 but I've rarely used it......I just give it to Ger to play with and he has gotten some nice pics with it.

I shoot apperature-preferred mode..... I like to keep those at f11-f16 if possible....... as for shutter speed...... with cars coming straight at me and using the curbs, I try not to go lower than 1/400 second as the drivers head is all over the place and the car is bouncing in a couple different directions at once..... for panning shots...anywhere from 1//125- 1/800 (at Indy on front straight I need 800 for a sharp car)

http://img203.echo.cx/my.php?image=imolamassafri4mk.jpg

http://img133.echo.cx/my.php?image=dcimola5vp.jpg

The Canon 20D has a lot of the good stuff that my Mark II has but about $3500 cheaper....... the 400mm f5.6 is around $1400...... again, I'm retired, house, car & truck is paid off, kids college education and daughter's wedding are also paid for so I was able to splurge on good tools.....plus my wife actually believed I was going to take lots of pics and make lots of prints of her flower gardens.........right..................

I forgot....both Fuji & Kodak are planning to get out of the film business....also all your racing mags plus major newsmags have gone digital......

hope some of this helps.....any other questions, my e-mail addy is m.robert@comcast.net

ciao

[Edited on 24/6/2005 by Murph]

[Edited on 24/6/2005 by Murph]