Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Q & A with Robert

From ITV/F1:-

Robert Doornbos graduated to grand prix driver status at Hockenheim as he joined Christijan Albers in the Minardi team.

The former junior tennis star tells ITV-F1 pit reporter Louise Goodman why the F1 paddock is so much better than the locker room.

Louise Goodman: A lot has been made of the fact that there are now two Dutch drivers at Minardi. Your team-mate is always your biggest rival – is that rivalry more intense when he comes from the same country as you?

Robert Doornbos: If you only look at the Dutch press for sure. On one side they are very excited to have two drivers, and on the other side they look for the competition between the two of us.

I think, in the end, if we play our cards right both of us can use it to our advantage to help us get better sponsorship deals and more support from our country.

It’s logical that Christian has a bit of an advantage in the team at the moment as he has been driving all season.

But it’s also logical for me that I took the chance that came along as you don’t get so many opportunities in Formula One to race.

It is not the best way to make you debut, coming in half way through the season, but I am determined to grab the opportunity with both hands and try to learn as fast as possible so I can keep Christian honest.

Louise: What’s the biggest difference between you job as ‘Friday’ driver at Jordan and your new role as a race driver at Minardi.

RB: To wake up on Saturday and do something! It was great to have two hours in the car on a Friday.

There is not a lot of pressure and you learn a lot.

But then on Saturday morning there was nothing. You go to all the team technical briefings, but you then have to stand and watch the others racing which is not so much fun.

To be in action all weekend is great.

Louise: This has all come about very quickly for you. Most of the guys you are racing against in F1 have been karting since they were eight or nine but you didn’t do any kind of racing until you were 17...

RB: I have followed a completely different career path than most other people that’s for sure.

Jacques Villeneuve, who was the first F1 driver I ever spoke to when I came to visit a GP, gave me some advice to start racing straight away in karts. He never did go-karts I think, but obviously he is from a racing family.

The first time I drove a go-kart though was in a fun event last year with my team-mates – and I won it! I’ve showed that I can learn quickly though; you make mistakes in the junior formulae but you just have to show that you can learn quickly from it and progress through the categories.

Last year I had a very successful season in F3000 which gave me the chance to test with Jordan and get into this paddock.

Louise: You were a very successful tennis player on the junior circuit. Do you have any regrets about giving that up?

RB: Not really. I watched Wimbledon on television, but I prefer Silverstone to be honest.

Now for the trivia …

Where and when were you born?
Rotterdam on 23rd September 1981.

What was your first road car?
An Audi A3.

Beer or wine?
Wine.

What qualifications did you get at school?
I finished high school and then went to business college until I was 18.

If you weren’t a racing driver what would you be?
A flash businessman.

What was the last CD that you bought?
‘Sensations’ – it was the CD of a big house party in Holland which loads of my friends went to. I couldn’t be there because I was in Magny-Cours so I bought the CD instead.

Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie?
Angelina Jolie.

What would be your dream holiday destination?
The grid! No, I like the same as everybody else – a desert island with sunshine, a good situation, and nothing particular to do.

Who would be your three ideal dinner companions, excluding family and friends?
Angelina Jolie, a very nice girl from Formula One who looks like her, and another person that looks like Angelina Jolie.

What’s your favourite TV snack?
Chips

Favourite film?
Scarface

Favourite play station game?
I have to say Formula One racing right! Any race games in fact.

Do you have any ambitions outside racing?
To become very rich.

If you were a fictional character, who would you be?
Santa Claus to make other people happy with gifts.

If you could change one thing in Formula One what would it be?
More grid girls.

Do I sense a little Gimmi Bruni syndrome in there? concentrating a bit too much on the girls:hehe:

Comments

• Who would be your three ideal dinner companions, excluding family and friends?
    Angelina Jolie, a very nice girl from Formula One who looks like her, and another person that looks like Angelina Jolie.
    I wonder who he's talking about here? Anyone got a pic?
  • I think that grid girl that looks like Angelina Jolie is fictional P1 :)