Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Why Is it So?

Here's a post-season dumb question.

With all of the technology oozing out of the cars, why does it have mirrors?

Surely they are an aerodynamic nuisance and with road vibrations, unusable for a large part of the time?

It would involve bugger all in the way of weight, or technology to put a split picture on the helmet visor to show the way behind.

So why not?

Comments

• What, and do away with the Schui chop?
  • You only need mirrors if you qualify better than your race speed?

Michael doesn't look in his as we saw with Alonso, Kimi and Albers. :);)

Spin
  • They are of limited use - Schumi likes his to check tyre wear (which is why one is higher than the other, to give a different angle). He presumably used them quite a bit this season.
  • They're also useful after a 180 to see what you're going to hit!;)
  • It's obvious why they have mirrors....

It's for when they get female drivers so they can look at
    themselves in the mirror and put their lipstick on.........
    ;)
    Now all they need is a glovebox........
    :D
    Ooooops, I think i'm dead!
    :(
    (Sorry about the over use of smilies)
  • Reminds me of the old puzzle.

Why is it that when you look at your face in the mirror, your features are reversed from left to right, ....

but not from top to bottom?

Even if you turn the mirror (or your face 90 degrees) it's still the same, your face is reversed but not upside down.

Anyone can explain this? ;)
  • Actually, in the real world the image is projected upside-down behind your eyes. The brain then turns the image around again, because of the obvious wrongness of the projection. However, the brain gets tricked by the vertical flip mirror-effect. Because the left and the right side of the face look to similar, so the brain doesn't compensate this mirror-effect...capiche?! Next question! :cool:

[Edited on 19/10/2005 by Selespeed]
  • And with three lifelines left, lets move on to the next question for $32 000...but not before this short break, stay tuned to Who Wants to be a Mullinairre! (or that's how our Eddie says it anyway ;))
  • (whispers) that's because he's from Malbun, they all talk like that down 'ere.

And thanks to all for the great insights. Pack 'o' twits, shoulda known better.
  • To answer the actual question...

I think it is the KISS factor, Keep It Simple and Stupid. I look at it this way, the requirement is to be able to see behind the car. The mirror has no moving parts, little risk of device failure and meets the actual requirement.

A Heads up display unit is made up of an array of complex technology components. This results in a system that has multiple points of failure. The better visual output does not justify the added risks associated with device failure. Also, A heads up display in a helmet visor would probably impair the lateral vision of the driver, hence the driver to have the ability to switch the system on and off on demand. This adds to the drivers numerous management activities he already must perform apart from his primary role of driving the car (very fast!).

So, the mirror meets the requirement with the least amount of risk and does not obscure the vision of the driver or add to the tally of switching settings.

A side note (Similar technology): One really exciting technology coming from BMW and Mercedes Benz is forward night vision display on the Dashboard. Both manufacturers are pressing ahead with this to aid in safety of the driver and pedestrians. BMW and Mercedes have taken a different approach with this. BMW have used thermal imaging where Mercedes has used infra-red cameras. Both achieve excellent results. The display shows objects in the drivers path (and sides of roads also) way before the driver could normally see them. No more hitting Roo's on the Highways! The imaging will pick up animals where the naked eye won't due to the natural camouflage animals possess. This may even work during daylight (though not sure if both systems can do this) to alert for wildlife near the side of the road.

Alerting drivers much early by using this technology gives preventative action a much greater chance of success.
  • The mirror has no moving parts, little risk of device failure
    Unless you drive a GTV Alfa like I used to and have the mirrors just fall of when you go over a bump.

Bloody Italian Quality Control:mad: