Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Super Aguri buys old PS04's...

...the rebadged Arrows A23 that is, designed by Mike Coughlan. In 2003 PS bought a few Arrows A23 chassis, painted them in Minardi livery and named the car PS04, to compare it with it's PS03 during a test at Mugello. The car proved to be somewhat faster than the PS03, but also less reliable, so it was dicided that the team would stick to their own PS03. By buying the old A23, Super Aguri will gain time to come-up with his own chassis.

Comments

• If true thats very interesting. That means that Super Aguri don't believe that the FIA will allowthe sale of chassis' between competitors. I've not read that the FIA have clarified this rule yet. But from past experience they ( the FIA) have a tendency to leave the final decision to the Stewards.
    Aguri Racing's purchase of the Old Arrows design makes sense as a lot of their staff were involved with the initial design.
  • But they need to change a lot of things on the car to fit the 2006 regulations. I doubt it will work. .
  • Just to keep things accurate I should point out that the A23 was designed by Sergio Rinland.

But I'm a little confused about this:-

What is the difference between :-

a/ buying an old arrows from PS
    b/ buying an old BAR from Honda

???
  • and to be even more accurate: the aeroworks where done by ex-Ferrari aerodymist Nicolo Petrucci, however Coughlan was responsible of the technical departement overlooking the development of the A23, so he get's the credits.
    What is the difference between :-

a/ buying an old arrows from PS
    b/ buying an old BAR from Honda
    The difference can be this: 1: Arrows is no more, and can be considered as a 3rth party (under the current agreement a 3rth party is allowed to design a car for a F1 Team). 2: PS owned the intelectual rights of the car. 3: perhaps Super Aguri will only use the existing monocoque as basis for their new car, which makes it in fact a new car. Anyone else a reasonable explanation?!
  • The layout of the car was done by Coughlan. I believe Rinland specializes more in the composites department.

The deal isn't done yet but negotations have been confirmed.
  • I thought that Coughlan designed the A23 and that Rinland designed the A24 on paper and that Stoddie bought those papers after Arrows went bust!!!
  • Rinland cooperated in the A23. After leaving Sauber for Arrows, Rinland brought the 'twin keel' design of the Sauber C20 with him and took the revolutionary approach to the Max for the Arrows A23.

[Edited on 23/11/2005 by Selespeed]
  • As far as I know the A24 is a myth... I think Arrows went bust early enough that one was never designed.
  • As far as I know the A24 is a myth... I think Arrows went bust early enough that one was never designed.
    There was talk of a Prost 2002 car in wind tunnel development before they closed the doors, which I beleive was part of TW's purchase and plan to birth it as phoenix f1.

Maybe people are getting the 2 confused.
  • Yeah, the 2002 Prost was legit.