Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

cow tipping

"Cows have been tipped by various types of people and for different reasons. They have been tipped in the middle of the night for sport, and they have been tipped by veterinarians while sedated for easy non-surgical treatment. In these different cases, the cows are standing with their hooves a certain distance apart. Does this distance have an effect on the force required to tip the cow over? Using average measurements of the most popular breed of cow, the Holstein, and relating the cow to a lever system, the force required to tip the cow can be found for various standing widths of the cow. The three different stance widths investigated were the narrow stance with the feet bound together (0.22m), the basic stance with the feet hook bone width apart (0.625m), and the wide stance with the feet wider than hook bone width(1.025). It was found that as the hooves got farther apart, the force required to tip the cowincreased: narrow required 1975N, basic required 2676 N, and wide required 3777N. The number of people needed to tip the cow can then be found by dividing the force by 660N, assuming the adults can move approximately 67 kg each. The number of people needed to push also increases from narrow to basic to wide stance: 3, 4.43, and 5.75 people respectively. Thus there is a relationship between the width of the cow’s stance and the force required to rotate the cow around its pivot point: the wider the stance, the more force required for the tip. "

Yea, I stole this. I didn't write it. But perhaps as I post more you will find it informative in your engineering efforts

Comments

• OK but how much should you tip?

$1 for a milk cow?

...and the question of the day,

will the Toro Rosso tip that easy?

Will Scuderia Toro Rosso become the Scuderia Toro Matta?
  • Excellent! At least someone picked up on my ineundo. email me and I send you the PDF of the document. It really is rather interesting. I wish I could remember where I got it
  • Is this related to sheep dipping?

Could a New Zealander help perhaps?
    :rolleyes:
    Spin