Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

GP Masters

Qatar First practice:

Pos Driver Time
1. Van de Poele 1:47.739
2. Danner 1:47.774
3. Mansell 1:48.093
4. Stuck 1:48.146
5. Cheever 1:48.343
6. Martini 1:48.359
7. Lammers 1:48.370
8. De Cesaris 1:48.481
9. Warwick 1:48.538
10. Patrese 1:49.389
11. Fittipaldi 1:49.466
12. Johansson 1:49.747
13. Salazar 1:50.417
14. Tambay 1:51.654
15. Arnoux 1:52.535

Comments

• Oh, and on that note:

Martini relaxed ahead of debut

By Tim Redmayne Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 07:53 GMT

Pierlugi Martini insists he won't be taking Grand Prix Masters too seriously despite being tipped by many as one of the favourites for this weekend's Qatar race.

Martini only became eligible for the series for ex-Formula One drivers after turning 45 last weekend, and will make his debut in this weekend's season opener at the Losail International Circuit.

Martini tested the 600 bhp GP Masters car for 50 laps of Silverstone last month, and although no lap times were published from the test session, autosport.com understands that his lap times were indicative of a front-running pace.

The Italian, who became synonymous with Minardi during his F1 career leading the team's one and only lap at the 1989 Portuguese Grand Prix, admits he has prepared physically for this weekend but won't be treating it like he did his Formula One career.

"I'm returning because for me it is enjoyable to drive with my old friends," Martini told autosport.com. "It is important to be competitive and to feel well with myself and with my life. The racing is inside of me and the most important thing in my life. And with GP Masters I have found a good solution to do a race again.

"I will learn now if I will be competitive or not. But it is different because now it is not important to be competitive; when I was in Formula One and sportscars I was a professional driver and my life was just for winning.

"I look for the win but it is different situation now. This is more relaxing and a different approach.

"The car is very impressive. It is better than my last Formula One car - much better. The physical aspect is a problem. Not for the car but for my body. When you stay a lot of time out of the car the muscles of the neck start sleeping. I've done a month of bicycle training and some elastic work for my neck.

"I needed to start again. But after one race I'll be ok."
  • Originally posted by MCSF
    Qatar First practice:

Pos Driver Time
    1. Van de Poele 1:47.739
    2. Danner 1:47.774
    3. Mansell 1:48.093
    4. Stuck 1:48.146
    5. Cheever 1:48.343
    6. Martini 1:48.359
    7. Lammers 1:48.370
    8. De Cesaris 1:48.481
    9. Warwick 1:48.538
    10. Patrese 1:49.389
    11. Fittipaldi 1:49.466
    12. Johansson 1:49.747
    13. Salazar 1:50.417
    14. Tambay 1:51.654
    15. Arnoux 1:52.535

Man, man, he does it again !!! The famous Van de Poele.
  • Is the race being shown in the USA or UK?
  • Not that I know of.
  • Martini is fastest Day 1!!

[Edited on 28-4-0606 by Ger]
  • THURSDAY 27TH APRIL 2006 (DOHA, QATAR): A souring track temperature of 52 degrees greeted the drivers this afternoon as the debut 2006 Qtel Masters of Qatar got underway for the second of today’s free practice sessions. The layout of the technically challenging Losail International Raceway circuit has since yesterday become more familiar to the drivers and combined with improved grip, it was Pierluigi Martini (Italy) who set the quickest time of the day at 1.47.549s thereby eclipsing this year’s Moto GP pole position time by almost 8 seconds! In second place was Nigel Mansell (Britain), followed by Eric Van de Poele (Belgium), Christian Danner (Germany), Stefan Johansson (Sweden) and Eddie Cheever (USA).

Scott Poulter (CEO, Grand Prix Masters): “We have enjoyed two days of successful and trouble free mileage and one thing is for sure – this Losail International Raceway Circuit is more than prepared for top-level four-wheeled motor racing. On behalf of GP Masters, I just want to say that we are extremely proud to be contesting the first ever racing car event in Qatar and all thanks must go to QMMF President, Mr Nasser Khalifa Al-Attiyah, for having the vision of starting such a phenomenal facility that suits both bikes and racing cars alike. Our drivers have been waxing lyrical about this circuit and it’s testament to the ingenuity and commitment of everyone at QMMF. We look forward to what promises to be an awesome debut event in Qatar for both GP Masters and QMMF.”

1st Pierluigi Martini (Italy): “I am extremely pleased to have set the best time today but let’s see what the rest of the weekend brings. These are extremely quick drivers and it will be far from easy to be in P1 after tomorrow’s all important qualifying session. My last race was in Sebring in 2000 and like so many of the Masters, I never expected to see a day when I would be sitting alongside such great friends from the past. It really is a pleasure to share the race track again with such great names and especially in these magnificent racing cars. These GP Masters cars are much better to drive than the last F1 car I drove and quicker too! I used a new set of tyres today for my quick lap and after 15 laps set the fastest time. Tomorrow will be a lot harder for sure and I cannot wait to get back out there.”

[Edited on 28-4-0606 by viges]
  • Mansell is still a class act. PLM had a good run for 5th. ! sec seperates the top 7 should be good to watch.
  • PLM did very well in the early part of a race spoiled by safety cars/v slow recovery of stranded cars. His move on Warwick was great but he then started to lose his head a little and fell back.

Here is the offical PR:

Track temp: 58 degrees Ambient temp: 39 degrees

SATURDAY 29TH APRIL 2006 (DOHA, QATAR): Britain’s Nigel Mansell took 1st place today at the Losail International Raceway in Qatar at what many have described as the hottest race in living memory. The Doha desert heat produced almost unbearable conditions as a track temperature of 58 degrees was recorded at the start of the event. A cock-pit temperature of 77 degrees was recorded with the highest previously known to be 68 degrees! Mansell, who started from pole, led the incident packed race from the beginning and recorded his second consecutive victory following his win at the inaugural round in South Africa. Germany’s Christian Danner finished in second place and Belgian debutant Eric Van de Poele came home in 3rd. Eddie Cheever (USA) was fourth, Warwick (Britain) fifth and also making his GP Masters debut was Pierluigi Martini who finished in 6th. The six fastest laps overall were split by a mere tenth of a second in a race that produced drama in the way of overtaking, safety cars, retirements and at times four cars running abreast down Losail’s 1068m main straight. Out of the15 that started, 12 cars finished with De Cesaris (Italy), Salazer (Chile) and Stuck (Germany) retiring.

(1st) Nigel Mansell: “A brilliant result but an incredibly tough race out there today. It was a tactical race right from the very start and the pace was really quick out there. I was pleased with the set-up strategy we had adopted on the car because as you saw, I had problems going with turns one and two but the last four corners is what we specially set the car up for and that’s what ultimately won me the race. About three laps into the race, I suffered a seat installation problem which must have been caused by the high g-loadings but in the end, it came good. These guys were catching me down the main straight and as you saw, I was weaving around the place to avoid anyone getting a tow off me. The first re-start after the safety car was great as I caught everyone unaware and got a great head start. A fantastic weekend all round and my congratulations to everyone involved in staging a truly stunning event. Qatar has made us all feel extremely welcome and we very much look forward to racing here again in the near future.”

(2nd) Christian Danner: “It’s great to finish 2nd behind Nigel but unfortunately, it could have been better today. Eddie (Cheever) who was in second place at the time seemed sound asleep when the safety car went back in and Nigel by that point had got a huge lead on the re-start. I saw it coming and knew exactly what Nigel was doing but there was nothing I could do. I did have a chance to maybe beat Nigel today but I never really got into a rhythm with my car. It took a few laps before the grip really kicked in and by then, we had a safety car period again. I am, however, very happy with what we have all achieved this weekend and second place will do me – this time.”

2 (3rd) Eric Van de Poele: “It’s been nearly fifteen years since my last grand prix and to be on the podium again today was simply awesome! I can still hardly believe it. The race was certainly not short of action and there were so many battles going on up and down the pack but I was lucky as on each lap I found less and less cars in front of me. My race set-up was also the correct one as we put on more wing to compensate for understeer. This worked a treat and really played to my advantage on this super fast and enjoyable circuit. This track really has proved its worth this weekend and for sure more cars need to come racing here. We’ll certainly be back I hope and in the meantime, my thanks to everyone at GP Masters for producing this amazing show.”

(4th) Eddie Cheever: “I was really in with a great chance today but it all went to pot after the first safety car with what has to be the worst green flag drop I have seen in 30 years of racing. During the safety car, I was really looking forward to making a charge towards the last ten laps but the green flag dropped way too early. Nigel put his foot down and got a massive advantage on me. I couldn’t believe it! I don’t blame Nigel for taking full advantage of what was clearly a shocking judgement call from the marshal. Nigel did what any driver would do and today he got away with it. The car felt really good and I made up a lot of places today to prepare myself for what would have been a serious charge towards the front but there you go. Happy I am not!”

(5th) Derek Warwick: “The car was fantastic today and had loads of grip from the start. It was clear that Nigel was having problems and we were all backed up behind him. Pierluigi then went on the inside of me at one of the corners but I kept the pressure up. He ran wide at the hairpin and I went up the inside and cut straight back but spun! From there it was simply flat out playing catch-up. I passed about four or five cars and got a good jump after the two safety car incidents. I kept up the fight and in the end managed to get my own back on Pierluigi. Fifth place is what came at the end of the day but had it not been for the spin, a podium position would have definitely been mine today. It’s been a great weekend of racing and no doubt we’ll look to settle some scores at Silverstone in a few weeks from now.”

(6th) Pierluigi Martini: “A great experience for me and one which I hope to re-create very soon with this superb GP Masters series. I was extremely happy in the car today and drove a really enjoyable and hard race. I remained close at all times to the front runners but was losing some speed down the main straight. I also made a mistake during the safety car period and lost position but in the bigger scheme of things, I am very happy to have finished 6th given that I never ever thought I would be racing grand prix cars with these guys again. Nobody appears to have lost any of the speed, competitiveness or tenacity from yester-year and that’s what is so amazing. Thank you to everyone who has worked so tirelessly on my car this weekend and congratulations to GP Masters and QMMF for pulling off a historical event in this fabulous country.”
  • PLM caused fellow Minardi old boy de Cesaris to go off after a re-start and the terribly slow recovery of his car reminded one of the bad old days of F1, before Bernie and Sid kicked the circuit owners up the arse.
  • BTW Piero was running third at one point but the podium gotaway ... again!

(F3, F2 & Le Mans excepted)