Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Williams to sign with Toyota

Thats according to GP.com. I wonder what their reasoning is. Are they paying for the engines?

Comments

• They're paying for Cosworth, which really isn't their style.
  • Unless they get a Title sponsorship and full manfufacturer backing (ie. Lexus WilliamsF1) I can't see the point changing to a third engine make in three years. they are having enough trouble trying to make this work!
  • Did a quick google news search and found this from paddocktalk.com
    (it is about 5 days old though)

Toyota may be backing away from talks to supply Williams with engines next year, according to rumours.

The motorline.cc publication claims that Sir Frank Williams, keen to find a more cost-effective solution than the deal with Cosworth, may be about to ask Honda if it would be prepared to supply a third team in 2007.

Apparently, at a recent board meeting, Toyota bigwigs opted against the 'semi-works' Williams plan - which could have seen the engine re-badged 'Lexus' - for two reasons.

Firstly, it would inevitably shift resources away from the Cologne-based team, but there was also a chance that Toyota-powered Williamses would consistently beat the works cars.

Moreover, Williams is not prepared to enter a purely 'customer' arrangement because this would probably entail the provision of less competitive equipment.

Williams was Honda-powered between 1984 and 1987.
  • is that news?
  • Get her.
  • I guess it must be a financial decision to go to Toyo, if the story has any shred of truth to it.

In some respects it would be a shame, as the Cosworth unit is really showing up some of the manufacturers. Hooked up to a nimble (but fragile) Williams chassis, this team epitomises the privateer ethos.

It's hard to really know where the Toyo engine lies in the pecking order, as it's hooked up to a boat anchor. I just can't see Toyo putting themselves in a position where a privateer team with a Toyo lump in the back runs rings around them.

Wouldn't be ironic if the bulldog goes to Williams next year and designs a fast car powered by Toyo.

Where does this put Midland? Who really cares.

What I do care about is Cosworth. Never know, it could be the cue for VAG to come in and badge Cosworth engines, or buy them outright. I'm sure Redbull are pushing for it.
  • I'm pretty concerned about this. If Williams link with Toyota I think it will trigger Mark Webber to leave if he has any say in it. He wont want to be back at the start developing yet another new package. :(

However, I can see where SFW is going with this. I'm confident those Toyo lumps will be 'payed' for by loaning out Nico Rosberg to Toyota, which will create the space for Alex Wurz to partner Webber next year, Narain K to be Friday driver.

That's if Webber stays....
  • Interesting surmise that. But who would Toyo ditch? SFW needs to take a long hard look at the team. People have been screaming for the longest while that their problems won't be solved by a more powerful engine. The chassis is way too inconsistent for that. Yes they were quick at Monaco. But the supersoft rubber will compensate for aero weakness around there.
    Williams seem loath to hire a top line designer and he's not using quality brains like Patrick Head and frank Dernie who have engineered championship winning cars in the past.
  • Toyota will ditch Trulli.

The Cosworth is powerful, if fragile. The Cosworth's duty cycle is only about 1100kms apparently, which puts it at the bottom of the F1 field. If they keep Cosworth they'll need major funding from a major sponsor to ensure it can and will get developed at a pace equivalent to a manufacturer engine. Even then, it will eventually be overtaken.

That's why i think SFW will go with Toyota - not necessarily because he wants to, but he really has to for the long term stability.
  • But, I read on GP.com that the japanese Toyo board doesn't want this deal.
    They're afraid of Williams ending higher as their own team.