Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Webcam advice

Youngsters! Help out the bewildered!

Have just got a webcam for my PC (one made by Trust, if you will) so we can see and chat with my little nephew in Sydney.

My brother is an awkward sod so he has a Mac. The only way we can 'interface' (apparently) is via AOL Instant Messenger, much against my better judgement.

The picture suffers from break-up quite a bit. Any tips or pointers?

Much appreciated,

I am, yours etc.,

viges

Comments

• What type of connections do either of yo use? Wireless, ethernet ....?

Your brother in law is way smarter than you - Mac has really made video conferencing easy. I talk to my brother frequesntly as well as Bernie (from this board) using ichat and .Mac.
  • Broadband through wires - is that what you mean? I don't know what ethernet is.
  • Ethernet is the wired network standard, the shit that uses CAT cables and such.

If you're both on good broadband connections then I would check out how hot you guys have those cams turned up. Turning down the resolution or quality just a bit will be less of a load to your connection and may resolve any hardware issues that might be causing the breakups.
  • Simon use Yahoo Messenger. I use it at work with our HQ in Germany who use Macs running OSX works no problem
  • one made by Trust
    That's your first mistake. ;)

Anyway, who's picture suffers of breakup? If it's on your side, does this also happen in other applications besides AOL? If it doesn't I'd do as Ger says and try to use Yahoo.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/mac.php
  • Thanks chaps.