Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Stoddie Airlines scare

Wales plane forced to make emergency stop

Michael Walker in Prague
Friday September 1, 2006
The Guardian

The plane taking Wales from Cardiff to Prague for their European Championship qualifier tomorrow in Teplice had to stage an emergency landing in Bournemouth yesterday afternoon.
A cracked windscreen at 20,000 feet caused the pilot to slow the Boeing 737 considerably as it approached south London and the captain, David Attwood, requested crew return to stations and explained the situation was sufficiently serious for the flight to be aborted.

The plane diverted swiftly to Bournemouth airport, which is the base of the charter company European Aviation Limited, and three fire engines followed the plane up the runway as it landed.

There was no further drama for the fire engines to attend and with a minimum of fuss the Wales players and accompanying media switched to another plane. There were 73 passengers and six crew.
There was no hysteria on board but there was a sense of relief when a safe landing in Bournemouth was negotiated. It was revealed there that the heated film that sits in between the two glass windscreens had malfunctioned and a small hole and numerous cracks were visible as passengers disembarked. It was described as a rare occurrence.

The delay lasted over an hour and there was no panic from the Wales squad. The manager, John Toshack, joked that as a player he was "good in the air" but added: "I was concerned when I heard the pilot call the cabin crew. I've flown all my life and nothing like this has happened before. It is lucky we are so close to Bournemouth and could change plane. It would be wrong to say we were very frightened but obviously you have concerns when something like this happens."

###

I know Victorians don't like people from South Wales but this is ridiculous ...

Comments

• It was described as a rare occurrence.
    That's what they just told my dad at the garage. Don't buy a Nissan, people (or anything else that has a French engine)