Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Peter Brock R.I.P.

Holy shit just read this on crash.net

Peter Brock RIP

My condolences to his family. :(

Comments

• I received a phone call this afternoon from my dad. It was short, and straight to the point

– “Peter Brock’s just been killed. In a car crash or something”

Have you ever had that feeling where something just doesn’t register, or doesn’t sink in? Motor racing has been my life since I first sat on a motorbike at the tender age of four. I’ve witnessed my childhood heroes disappear many times before. I recall Senna’s crash in 1994, staying up to watch the Grand Prix, and dad commenting “he’ll be dead tomorrow morning…” Being only eight years old, I didn’t quite understand the gravity of the situation, nor did I realise his past achievements. All I knew, was that much like my other childhood hero Wayne Rainey, he wouldn’t be around for me to cheer for anymore…

So back to ‘Peter Perfect’. I’ve grown up being a Ford man through and through. Even so, today I realised just what an impact Peter’s achievements, and the energy he has injected into my sport over the past 30 years has had on my life so far. I fondly recall my first ever V8 Supercar event (as a 9 year old spectator!) in 1995, where the King of the Mountain took out the round win at my home track – and I loved every minute of it. Late 1997, and after all the hype, then the disappointment of watching Brock DNF his (at the time) last Bathurst, It was to my absolute thrill that I was able to sit in his HRT Commodore on a year 6 school excursion to Hill End. Sure, it wasn’t a Falcon, but this was the car that had been graced by the best in the business, and once again, I loved every minute of it.

Fast forward to 2005, ten years after my first Brock ‘experience’, and my first opportunity to meet the great man. Like many, I waited in line for an hour or so to shake his hand, take a photo of my girlfriend and Peter together and have him sign a hat I bought for her little brother. I left the merchandise tent that day feeling a sense of awe. Here’s a bloke who’s achieved so much, been a hero for so many, yet takes the time and dedication to repaying the fans for their support, even well after he’s hung up the helmet from professional competition.

It took an awful long time for Brock’s death to sink in today. I commandeered my girlfriend Foxtel, watching tributes and news articles over and over. It wasn’t until I was out of her sight (and on my way home) that I cried. Brock entered the sport the exact same way I did – building a car with your dad in the back shed, because neither he – nor I could afford to buy one. He’s achieved more in a lifetime than many could ever dream of, and has inspired generations of aspiring drivers like myself to “live their dreams.”

It’s a sad day for Motor racing. The law of averages has made its presence felt, this time snuffing out one of the sports favorite sons. Thanks for the memories ‘Brocky’; you’ve been an inspiration to many.

"Live your dreams" - Peter Brock 1945 - 2006
  • This sucks :(
  • Nicely put Brooksey

I don't know anyone for the past 30 years who ever, and I mean ever, had a bad word to say about Brocky. A lot of current drivers could take a leaf out of his book about how to treat fellow drivers and spectators alike.
  • I was stunned, I must have sat there for 5 minutes just letting it sink in.