Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Sony Walkman vs Apple Ipod.

Your views please. Yes the Ipod is a design Icon but to run the Itunes software means considerable modifications to your hardware systems.
Having compared the sound quality of both items you really can't fault the Walkman. Yes some people criticise the Sony software that comes with it but I have had no problems with it.

Comments

• From what I've heard those new walkmans' sound quality is superior to the iPod's. I have to say I really like iTunes. It's pretty slick and the music store is awesome. I haven't downloaded illegal music for about a year now. The only downsides I can find are it's system requirments, and the DRM of course.
  • I , as you know, am pro Apple all the way. However, the AAC file format is a tad limiting. Once it is on an ipod or in itunes you are forever stuck with AAC - or so it seems. I am sure there is a workaround.

I have had my ipod for a couple of years now with zero problems functionally.
  • Except when you dont bring your charger with ya eh!
  • grrrrrrrrrr
  • Most Interesting. I certainly did not know ones locked into AAC once you've loaded it. Interestingly Sony MP3s can play AAC as well. Sony really needed a wakeup call and let face it. Apple blew them out of their complacency!!
  • I cant see what the big fuss about AAC is. After all its put in place to try and make more money for the record companies AND the music artists. They (apple) tried to make a system that was hackproof, while keeping everything legal.

Scenario...what happens if someone hacks a software patch that overwrites the DRM?
    Do the record companies sue Apple for loss of income?
  • Most Interesting. I certainly did not know ones locked into AAC once you've loaded it. Interestingly Sony MP3s can play AAC as well. Sony really needed a wakeup call and let face it. Apple blew them out of their complacency!!
    I don't think Sony MP3 players can play AACs that are protected by Apple's DRM. As far as I know they only play unprotected AACs.
    I cant see what the big fuss about AAC
    The big fuss on AAC is that it's supposed to hold sound of higher quality than MP3 files can. And the compression is better.
    Scenario...what happens if someone hacks a software patch that overwrites the DRM?
    Do the record companies sue Apple for loss of income?
    There already is a lot of software that can remove DRM. The DRM used to be there to give the record companies a feeling of safety.
    But now the most important reason that it's there. Is to ensure people listen to music on expensive iPods and Windows Audio devices.

[Edited on 11-10-06 by Stan]
  • does this answer your question?

ipod story