Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

This weeks Autosport

Very occasionally they produce a stellar issue. This week seems to be a case in point.
Mark Hughes makes a really great point about the madness of ending the tyre war. We've had great races because of the variabilty the tyre war brought. All that's likely to end next year. If the FIA were a credible outfit they would have allowed the tyre war to continue and drastically reduced the amount of in season testing.
The other point made was the ludicrous situation with Cosworth. How can a company with what Autosport decribes as "the best engine on the grid" fail to catch a team? There may be hope in that STR may decide to ditch TOIT. I did not know that from 2008 manufacturers can only supply 2 teams so one of Spyker or one of the Red Bull teams looks like getting the shitty end of the stick.

Comments

• I take the point on tyres yet my gut feeling remains 'tyre war, huh, what is it good for? ...'

As DC so rightly said when Michelin joined, you effectively have two world championships (see the way Honda and Toyota yo-yo around the grid depending on conditions). OK, so TOIT has the upper hand going into 2007 - so what? Renault and McLaren have to deal with it.

Control tyres obliterate the need for 70% of testing; now the FIA must grasp the nettle on aero disruption.

It can be done - it has been done. GP2 was far more interesting than F1 in 2006.
  • The good thing about no tyre war is that teams like Williams can go to test and be able to concentrate 100% on the job of making their cars go faster thru aero and engine optimisation, rather that spending 60% of test time doing work for Bridgestone/Michelin.
  • They'll still spend millions on suspension work.
  • Yea you'll still be tuning the chassis to the tyres. There will be no engine development next year, btw!
  • I think I am in the majority of F1 devotees when I say I simply don't care about tyre technology, ECU technology, intricate diffusers, traction control, etc.

All I want are cars that are able to overtake and drivers brave enough to do it.
  • If I was Bridgestone, Id still rather give the better tyres to TOIT as it has more marketing sense (cudos) than to any other team.

Id like to see Bridgestone turn up with 88 sets and hand them out by drawing straws so we know ALL tyres ARE the same.