Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Bahrein GP cancelled?

Big mess in Bahrein, like in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, in this 1989 of the Middle East!!!

FIA is now trying to move the 3/6 March testing from Manama to Barcelona, after the Asia GP2 Bahrein event has been cancelled as well.

The GP itself is at cancellation risk, even thought eh teams (that already started sending material to the Middle East) are pushing for a date swap with the Abu Dhabi GP, that would become the season opener, with Bahrein moved to October.

Which is, IMO, what is probably going to happen, Bernie will never take the risk the GP to be marred by disorders, or to be used as a revolution instrument by the rebels.

On a different point of view, I would LOVE to see the Bahrein sheikh thrown away and fleeing on his camel through the desert, leaving behind the 50 or 100 Rolls Royces, plus all the Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, Aston Martins and Paganis.
And to see Khadafi thrown away from Tripoli with a kick on his ass, as it happened to Mubarak.

Comments

• Really? I'm quite sure most of us here couldn't give a shit.

The middle east is fast becomming as big a basket case as Africa.

Three cheers to the European Colonialists for setting up yet another fuckup.

On a separate note; our thoughts and prayers are with the brave students manning the barricades as the 'Pomme Fritte' revolution builds towards freedom for all Belgians! Vive les Wallonies!! Vive les Flamons!! (just not quite as much)
  • a) Dictatorships are 'a bad thing' and we should support all brave people who stand up to them. 2011, 1989, 1642 even 1917. I have more of an issue with 1775 but, hey, whatever became of that lot?

b) Bahrain is a timely reminder of the sort of shits Bernie and CVC have jumped into bed with. I call on all brave Bahrainis to go to rip up turn one of a truly dreadful circuit bankrolled by a truly dreadful regime.
  • "Three cheers to the European Colonialists for setting up yet another fuckup."

Ah, yes. He may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch. Moral interventionism surely died with the Bush and Blair governments, didn't it?...
  • Originally posted by viges

b) Bahrain is a timely reminder of the sort of shits Bernie and CVC have jumped into bed with. I call on all brave Bahrainis to go to rip up turn one of a truly dreadful circuit bankrolled by a truly dreadful regime.
    Amen brother viges
  • Originally posted by Lease

On a separate note; our thoughts and prayers are with the brave students manning the barricades as the 'Pomme Fritte' revolution builds towards freedom for all Belgians! Vive les Wallonies!! Vive les Flamons!! (just not quite as much)
    260 days without a new government and no agreement in sight and all they can come up with is have a half arsed (see what i did there) striptease and hand out free chips. says a lot about this place
  • Oh, nice pun sir. Tit's such a shame though.

Being married to an ex-Belgian (yes, she finally took Oz citizenship after 15 years), this subject gets some airplay on the home front.

It is staggering that not only can these people fail to agree on forming a government, but they can't even agree to split the country up.

Doesn't bode well for if we ever come to time for a divorce......groan. Should've done more research before I married her.
  • you know i live in Belgium now, right?
  • Know? No
    Care? No

Ok, let's tick 'em off; RJ's career & country of residence stats since 2000:

Netherlands
    Austria
    United (that's a laugh) Kingdom
    Belgium

Amatuer Opera Star
    Amateur poliitical observer
    Amateur soldier (can't call national service professional)
    University Student

So what's the gee oh in les payee bas? Based in the art deco capital of europe, or in one of the other cities? You'd feel much more at home in the North, as opposed to Wallonia, or Brussels, I'm thinking (I know I do). Have you been to Belgium's version of Disneyland without the rides (Bruges)? or toured the Ardennes with 500,000 other tourists who couldn't be arsed to travel somewhere they can't get to by car?

BELGIUM

Bullets (meatballs)
    Waffles
    Chocolate
    Beer

...in that order. No matter what they might think, their frittes aint that great.
  • Someone give Lease a sedative please! :)
  • You can add Belgium Correspondent to that list

based in Brussels now, which, yes, is quite foreign for various reasons
  • Not forgetting Italy. You've almost done the EU. What next, Slovenia or Ireland?
  • Amatuer Opera Star
    Pictures? MP3s? I'm curious.
  • According to sources close to FIA, Bahrein GP may be paired with Abu Dhabi to be the season closer, with Brazil shifted back as last but two event.
    This may shift the end of the championship to late November or even early December! Which is still better, of course, than the alternative of racing in Bahrein in August, with 50 degrees Celsius....

Meanwhile, Niki Lauda blasted the movable wings as "a complete stupidity", related to the role pits have on such wings, while Vettel complained about the unsafety risk of the current cars, with all these devices to be enacted by the drivers by pushing buttons on the steering wheels that they, at 200mph, cannot look at....the boy even threatened a strike!
  • Bahrein GP will be raced on October 30, with the Indian GP shifted to December 4.
    Money is money, and we know Bernie loves it.
    Now, there are several considerations.
    The first is social and concerns Bahrein: as Webber declared, F1 has also a social implication, meaning a certain responsibility to think about the peoples it goes to visit, while racing the GP may give the message the circus does not give a shit on people's sufferings. Even though probably Mark was just worried the GP to raise new tensions and the teams and drivers to find themselves on the spot right in the middle of it.
    Second consideration is a strictly F1 one: moving the calendar to December sounds ridiculous, and (apart that probably Seb will be already WDC at that time) to have the season opener in a new track, new country and without being certain of the atmospherical conditions there in December seems particularly unwise.
    But, as I said, money is money.....

Plus, next year US GP will be back in the brand new Austin circuit. And the races will become 21. We should remind Bernie that there are only 52 weekends in one year.....

Now, 21 seems really too much to me, 17/18 is the right number!
  • Still unsure whether Bahrein will be raced or not.
    On the other hand, Jean Todt said there is no way there'll be 21 GPs next season, 20 is the limit.
    Which means, with the re-entry of US, one of the current races will have to go.
    Still don't know which race will be cancelled, but let's say I'm prepared to have a good memory of the Turkish circuit......