Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

I'm going racing!

After 3 years of indoor track rental kart racing, I'm stepping up and buying my own kart and will be running at a real outdoor sprint track. Anyone else in here race karts?

BTW - The sidepods are available.

Comments

• Sprint = no shifter?

How many tracks in the area?

how much (roughly) does a season cost?
  • Here's the track: http://www.stockholmkartingcenter.com/

It's about an hour from me. There are about 3 other tracks within 4 hours but I'll probably just run at the local one as I'll most likely be storing the kart at the track. Since I live in the city, I don't know where I'd keep a trailer.

You can run shifters on a sprint track, 'sprint' just means 'small road course.' I'm going to run in a 100cc non-shifter class, HPV-4

It depends on how often you go, but I'd say a practice day in which you can run as long as there's light is about double the cost of an 8 minute race at an indoor facility. Tires are definitely going to be the biggest recurring expense, they're around $40 per tire and I've been told they last about 3 two-day race weekends.

If I had to guess it's about $2K per season in fees and tires if you go every weekend (Good luck with the Mrs. on that one!), add about $250 for an engine rebuild and tha'ts about it. Cheaper 'operating expenses' than golf for sure.

This is your local organization, http://www.norcal-karting.com/ Awesome track layout possibilites.
  • Yeah - my buddy runs a shifter rig - some Ity job. Big dollars - big G's in the corners.

My problem - 6 foot 3.

• That shouldn't be a problem, you can get extended porch karts for taller people.

• I used to race 100cc Yamaha Clubman in OZ back in the early 90's. ( Had the good fortune of having Alex Zanardi blow me off the track in the NSW Championship!) Karting is the cheapest form of racing but to be competitive you got to spend some dosh. Who ever told you you'll get 3 race meetings from tyres is pulling your leg. Extend the overdraft and mortgage, borrow from your parents and win the lottery then you might just make it ! Have fun it's worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I was about to get into the same calss Ger and then I saw them.......you need big dollars to compete with the ten year olds. They come with tents, trailers, spare carts, support crew and the lot.

I just wanted to do so decent racing. I also thought I should save my dosh.
  • I forgot to mention 6 ' 3" 210 pounds. Its the pounds that slow you down however at our MCSF meeting yesterday I took pole position and one flag to flag beating the likes of Jello and Cardiackid as well as non MCSF'ers.

When I used to race sedans I was the same height and about 160 - 165 pounds!
  • That's the one thing which I'm not looking forward to, losing my weight advantage. I'll have to haul around 70 pounds of lead to make weight.
  • I was about to get into the same calss Ger and then I saw them.......you need big dollars to compete with the ten year olds. They come with tents, trailers, spare carts, support crew and the lot.

I just wanted to do so decent racing. I also thought I should save my dosh.
    Getting your ass kicked by Ten year olds certainly destroys your confidence thats for sure and I speak from experience!!
  • dst - how much do you weigh? How tall are you?
  • dst - how much do you weigh? How tall are you?
    No Emmo the question should be how big is your wallet and how large is your credit card limit!!
  • 5' 9" 125-130 which is why I loved indoor racing, as long as I could keep it together going into the corners no one had a chance on the exit or straights unless by luck of the draw I got the three wheeled special you sometimes encounter at the rental tracks.

Ger - You can run 'heavy' classes to avoid the 12 year old Schumacher Jrs. My problem is that I'm 36 and very light so I'll have to wear a suit of armor to race guys my own age. There are TaG classes (Rotax Max) with spec, sealed engines which DO limit the 'buying a win' guys. As far as I'm concerned within my class there will be people at around the same level skillwise as myself. That's who I'm racing, If there are people who get an engine/carb rebuild before EVERY race and run sticker tires every time out, well they can have the $1.98 trophy, I've already got one. I just want to improve and have fun.

• Ger - You can run 'heavy' classes to avoid the 12 year old Schumacher Jrs. My problem is that I'm 36 and very light so I'll have to wear a suit of armor to race guys my own age. There are TaG classes (Rotax Max) with spec, sealed engines which DO limit the 'buying a win' guys. As far as I'm concerned within my class there will be people at around the same level skillwise as myself. That's who I'm racing, If there are people who get an engine/carb rebuild before EVERY race and run sticker tires every time out, well they can have the $1.98 trophy, I've already got one. I just want to improve and have fun.
    I've got the $1.98 trophy as well (Pic) problem is it cost me about $4000 to get it! If you can get into a good club with a bunch of guys (and gals) who enjoy having fun man you will enjoy. Trouble is when I was racing the place was full of shmucks with more money than talent. Sounds familiar eh!! ( PS I neither had money or talent!!)

$1.98 Trophy

[Edited on 7/3/2005 by Ger]
  • Too funny!
  • I forgot to mention 6 ' 3" 210 pounds. Its the pounds that slow you down however at our MCSF meeting yesterday I took pole position and one flag to flag beating the likes of Jello and Cardiackid as well as non MCSF'ers.
    Yeah, go Quig! Teach those thin shorty dwarfs that big people RULEZ:cool: