Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

St. Matthew Passion

This evening I will attend the St. Matthew Passion. It'll be the 5th or 6th time in a row now and I guess it's really grown into a great tradition.
Bach has composed some truely divine music imho. Most of the time I need about 15 minutes to adjust to the music and the atmosphere and then I forget all those daily oblivious things we use to think are important. What a joy !!

What do you guys think of this kind of music? Are there some classical music lovers overhere??

Comments

• who's playing?

I like that kind of music and St. Matthew's passion is one of my all time favourites.

It depends all on the singers, though, there are some terrible recordings out there which make you fall asleep or hate Bach.

I have to recommend Helmut Rilling's recording of 1999 with Michael Schade as evangelist, awesome stuff (though not on periodic instruments, but I can live with that if the rest is okay)
  • I don’t know whether the names of the solists say you anything. The evangelist is sung by Marcus Brutscher and Christ by Maarten Koningsberger. The choirs are Bachkoor Holland and the Haags Matrozenkoor, the orchestre is the Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orkest and it’s conducted by Roy Goodman. As magnificent location functions the Pieterskerk in Leiden.

I'm not an expert myself, just an admirer. And to be honest, I don't know about the recording you recommand, but I will have a try to find it!
  • with the concertgebouw orchestra it should be a good performance
    Haags Matrozenkoor
    :hehe::hehe::hehe: I never knew they existed
  • quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Haags Matrozenkoor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never knew they existed

I guess you don't like little boys that much :P
  • I thought that the Haags Matrozenkoor was singing "what shall we do with the drunken sailor" at three o clock in the morning on some dock in Rotterdam

mind you, did the St. Matthew's Passion a few times myself, a long, long time ago

'Little' Robert some 11 years ago with lots more hair:hehe:

• Great !!!

It’s good to see you’re not shy to show your ‘passions’, as we’ve already seen in previous pictures. ;)
    "what shall we do with the drunken sailor" at three o clock in the morning on some dock in Rotterdam
    Is that what some people call 'docking time' ?:P
  • Thanks, I will listen tomorrow. No soundcard in this pc...
  • BTW, a happy Easter for everyone !!

• St Matthew passion?

Thou shall bash Stoddie :spank:

And the Lord said: Let the Bengals win the Bowl.

:hehe: