Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Pope Kicks The Bucket

Comments

• ^ Thats like saying the President of America doesn't affect non-Americans :rolleyes:
    Place your bets on who will be the new pope!

2/1 Cardinal Roy the Apologist
    5/2 Cardinal Michael the Blind
    6/1 Cardinal David the Secretive
    10/1 Cardinal Peter the Ambivalent

100/1 Cardinal Leroy the Black

300/1 Cardinal Matthew the Worthy
    1.9/1 George W Bush :hehe:

[Edited on 3/4/2005 by Clown]
  • Not really - especially in a case like yours. Morality is meaningless to you so what the Pope says or does falls on deaf ears. The Pope puts out guidelines - you choose whether or not to follow them. He has absolutely zero power in your life unless you choose to listen to him.
  • Pope > George W Bush > John Howard > Australian Law > Police > Clown
    You get the idea.
  • No I don't. Give me some examples where what the Pope has said or done really - and I mean REALLY - affected you.

This is gonna be fun.
  • Speedweek wasn't on today due to extended dead pope coverage :(
  • Too f'n bad.
  • It’s a sad day. I found the pope a great man and a wonderful leader of not only the Catholic faith, but Christianity as a whole. Being a Greek Orthodox Christian, I am saddened by his death, but will always remember his relentless work for peace and reconciliation of the Orthodox and Catholic churches. His trip to Athens was the start of a dialogue that has been stalled too long.

A truly great force of good has been called home
  • Take note Clown and all you other heathens.
  • Wouldn't it be funny if he choose the wrong religion?
    He gets to River Styx and finds out Mohammad's really pissed at him :hehe:
  • Mohammad is the worlds greatest con man. Stole all the best from all the the previous religions and called it his owm.

Try again.
  • I dont think you can limit your agnst towards heathens MCSF.

I think what you mean is non-catholics. Isn't catholocism a minority religion anyway?

(spoken like a true atheist!)
  • Isn't catholocism a minority religion anyway?
    I hope not.
    The world needs more of those "Catholic guilt" sluts :D

[Edited on 3/4/2005 by Clown]
  • we in america had very few chances to see the Pontif.
    he came twice to Malta...

at least we don't have Gran Prix races but at least someone thought of us!

• Mohammad is the worlds greatest con man. Stole all the best from all the the previous religions and called it his owm.

Try again.
    See that's what I love about quig. Can't tolerate people having a few digs at Catholicism and it's skeletons, yet it's no skin off his nose to put shit on Muslims and their beliefs.

That little dose of irony is why I love giving him a stir - he bites so easily, and you always get a paradox like that thrown in for the price of admission.

The Pope was a nice man, but like the entire Catholic church he was stuck in a time warp. Preaching 'no condoms so try to abstain' has led to an AIDS epidemic amongst the hundreds of millions of African catholics. Nice.
  • I don't know, what they're pulling off in Italy now is just beyond bigotry!

In all fairness, he might have meant something to some people but it's not as if his death came completely unexpected.

Besides, apart from being a good chap I'm sure, he was a major roadblock in the struggle against HIV and calling homosexuals "the embodiment of evil" isn't really going to spread christian love and brotherhood is it?
  • P1 - if you are going to say stupid crap I am going to call you on it. Don't like it? Too damn bad.

As far as the rest - I'm not even going to bother.

• Did you spend a little too much time on the Bishops knee as a boy?

I'm sorry for the Pope's passing, but like P1 mentioned it can be an opportunity to not have to continue to preach to millions living on banana peels and cat food with 16 children that contraception is immoral.
  • It's also quite possible to believe something fervently and devoutly without also believing everyone else is full of shit. As for the parallels between Christianity and Islam, which you characterize as 'theft by a con man,' have you ever looked at whether there any links/similarities between the Christian gospels/Jesus' life and predated religions? They exist, does this make the writers of the Bible phony plagerist con men?

I'm not trying to dig at you but wonder if the obvious question to me ever occurred to you to ask, 'If there are similarities between the major religions of the world, could these point to a larger unifying principle which binds humanity?' Or did you just point a finger and shout "Liar!" (OK that last bit was a dig.)
  • my god, I agree with P1 and dst, there must be some magic in the air these days
  • P1 - if you are going to say stupid crap I am going to call you on it. Don't like it? Too damn bad.
    Stupid crap? Maybe to a few blinkered Catholics, but to everyone else it's just some black humour. Take it with the grain of salt it's delivered with.
    As far as the rest - I'm not even going to bother.
    Yeah, because i'm right.
  • Yeah, because i'm right.
    Judgement day will bring the answers.

Have a nice day.
  • I just want to say thanks to Karol Wojtyla for what he did in his life and for what he taught me with his disease and his death.

Sorry if I interrupted your quarreling, go on
  • I'm trying to be good Salvo - I just don't do a very good job of it.

• i dont say much here in Forzaminardi.com i always liked to catch whats up with tha latest team news..coming to the Pub every now and then, and have a few laughs, but after all this bashing. im gone. i just dont really feel welcome.

good luck to you all.
  • quig, nevermind, ehehe:D
  • americanminardi

As someone who will moving to "exotic" Kansas in a year or so (following the grandkids), I'd hate to lose a fellow from Missouri as I do imagine that the mid-west is not a hot bed of Minardi-ism..... Like in all forums in the world wide web, you will run into a few people who like to wind up others for their own amusement....... and though it cam be tuff to do....just ignore them. So stick around, and I hope to meet ya at Indy for the USGP later this year.....

Murph

m.robert@comcast.net

[Edited on 3/4/2005 by Murph]
  • P1 and dst... You're saying the pope's passing is an opportunity for the Catholic Church to change its view on some issues. The changes have already started with John Paul II! He was the first pope to enter and pray in a synagogue and a mosque, and in 1998 he publicly apologized for the failure of many Catholics to help Jews during the Holocaust. It's the fact that he reshaped the Catholic Church but the whole 'reformation' with all those social issues is not a case of 10 or even 20 years but many many more, and JPII knew that. What's important it's already started because of him.

[*] for the Big Man :(
  • Fox - I appreciate what you're trying to say, and recognize the great things this pope has done. However the Human Vitae was issued in 1968 spurred by the introduction of the birth control pill. So it took a 8 years to come to the conclusion that contraceptive sex, even between married people, is immoral. Why should it take centuries to reconsider? An uncompromising opposition to abortion, which originates from thoughtful consideration, I can and do respect. But the Catholic Church's attitude towards contrapception is immoral, unconsionable and a human disaster. It's also one I would wager comes up quite often in confession, with absolutely zero attempts to be made to cease the behavior after said confession.
  • I'm Catholic and I'm in the same opinion as you about contrapception. But remember that any changes within the Church have always taken and will always take place very slowly because of its nature as an ogranization. I wouldn't say it could last centuries when the Church accepts it though, only that the current generation of clergy which is in charge now - from the early and middle 1900's - has to be replaced by the young one, men who were born when JPII was in his prime.
  • I don't know, what they're pulling off in Italy now is just beyond bigotry!
    big·ot·ry
    n.
    The attitude, state of mind, or behavior characteristic of a bigot; intolerance.

I don't get it. What is happening there? I thought they were paying their respects to a man they loved, not burning books?
    In all fairness, he might have meant something to some people but it's not as if his death came completely unexpected.
    This is quite an understatement. As an educated person, surely you know that using the expression "could have meant something to some people" is grossly misguided when you're talking about a person who is the spiritual leader for millions of people world wide.
    he was a major roadblock in the struggle against HIV
    Well, if we suppose that he was able to abstain (of which we cannot of course know for sure, but let's say for argument's sake that he was), is it wrong of him to suggest others follow the example set by him?

Personally, I feel that contraception is a necessary tool in fighting over-population. However, I also think that the Pope was entitled to his opinion.
    and calling homosexuals "the embodiment of evil" isn't really going to spread christian love and brotherhood is it?
    Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Is the duty of the church to say what people want them to say or should they follow the Holy Bible? If religion gives up its roots, how will it differ from the mainstream of 'thinkers' who are preaching peace, love, equality and tolerance?

I'm not a catholic or even belong to a church. I did not agree with everything the Pope said and did, but I think the man deserves some respect. He did a long day's work - now let's allow him his well-earned rest.