Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

A question on the PS05

Does anyone know whether the new car will test prior to Imola. Or is Imola going to be the shakedown and defacto test session.
Interestingly press reports are stating that the team think they have found a second a lap from the chassis.
60bhp from the engine is worth around 6/10s a lap. So thats 1.6s gain over the recalcitrant PS04B. At least on paper. Unfortunately these cars run on tarmac...

Comments

• Weeks ago Albers said that they were going to test between Bahrain and Imola, but when and where he did not know.
  • Albers is indeed the only person thus far to comment on PS05 testing. By the sounds of it, they're going to be waiting until the last minute for some parts and spares will be in short order.
  • Speak of the devil, Christijan's post-race:
    "I am now looking forward to our test. We're probably going to test the week before the San Marino Grand Prix with the new car. It should be a big improvement compared to the PS04B that we raced in the first three races."
    Anyone know if there's an official test that week?
  • On the Albers forum there is some information. The test will be on Mugello, but if they are going to do a full test depends on the fact if the car is ready in time or not. So it will either be a full test or a 50km shakedown. Christijan will be behind the steeringwheel. Albers will go to Cosworth in England, later this week, to get himself fully informed so that he knows everything about the new engine.

Minardi has no choice, they have only one reserve engine left for the old PS04B/M !

[Edited on 6/4/2005 by vuurmuur]
  • Must be a 50KM shakedown, because the group of nine has a rule that says it's not allowed to test the week before a GP !!!!

If the team can have the car ready one week earlier, we can actually have a full test.
  • I understood the testing agreement was no testing in the month before a GP on that circuit, so as long as the test is not at Imola, then no problem.

It seems they will test if they get the car ready in time, if not then a shakedown, and treat the Imola weekend as a test.

As to the potential performance gain, if they can't make 2 to 3 seconds over a 80 second typical lap when replacing a 3 year old car with a brand new design, and swapping a 3 year old detuned engine with a new one, then they have no right to call themselves a proper F1 team. The figures I've seen on horsepower (I know you can't trust anything, but still...) have all quoted a 90 to 110 hp gain from the C3L to the TJ.

Give em til Monaco to get their act together. If by then they're not on the heels of Sauber and Red Bull, and making Jordan look embarassing, then is the time to start throwing rotten fruit at Tredozzi and the boys.
  • The 60HP gain are Stoddart's words !!!!!
  • But 100BHP more according to Cosworth if I'm correct!
  • On engines, from the "Pre season punditry" thread, for those who missed it:

There's an interesting read in January's Race Tech magazine, talking about the growth of HP in modern F1. They published HP figures for the 2004 season based on the author's own estimates. It's a very good article, if you're into that sort of thing. Anyway, here's what they say (from article & graph):

2004 3.0 litre engines:

Honda V10: 930 HP
    BMW V10: 910 HP
    Toyota V10: 910 HP
    Ferrari V10: 910 HP
    Ilmor V10: 900 HP
    Renault V10: 880 HP
    Cosworth V10: 880 HP
    Cosworth Customer V10: 830 HP

Now I've read in a couple places the new 2005 Cossie will be 25 - 50 HP higher than the previous. If this is true, the PS05 will be playing with 75 - 100 HP more than last year. Or something like 8% to 12%.
  • They really need a full three days of testing, preferably with 2 cars, but it doesn't sound like they are going to get it.

If there is no proper test prior to Imola, and no 3rd chassis available at Imola to put a test driver in, I think they would have to run all the miles they can on Friday, even if they have to change the engines and take the penalty. Any sort of gearbox glitch or electronics problems, and that's it, game over for the day.

The team made a bit of a hash of the new aero package debut at Imola last year - I hope they run this one better, for the sake of the gallant band of forzaminadi types who'll be there.

• indeed they need testing, TOIT did a lot of testing with the F2005 and still they had a lot of problems, but knowing Minardi it will probably be a budget thing and the car will only have a 1 day shakedown.
  • In a Stoddart Interview, he said that if the car is ready to test and there is time they will. However if the car is ready for Imola and hasn't tested they will still use it at Imola, and use the race as a sort of test session. They are determined to use the 05. That's what I read.
  • Cosworth outpyts range from 860 - 880 bhp for the Tj engine
  • i am worried about reliability....
    there will be not enough testing...
    we cannot sacrifice all the reliability in search of more power. (Look at Honda!)
  • Albers, on F1racing.net stated that they hope to test the PS05 by the end of next week and that it is a very agressive looking design.
  • here is a quote from Albers from his PR people

"I am really looking forward to the race in Imola because the new very aggressive looking Minardi car will be launched. Hopefully this car makes it possible to show the team, my fans and sponsors some impressive results. I feel very comfortable in F1 and cannot wait for the next race."

Source: Albers PR
  • Also liked the sound of this part - "Although Patrick and I had to drive the old Minardi car we learned a lot and I am happy that we both finished in 2 races. We are a good team and pushing each other. I am happy to have such a good team mate," he told his official website.

And this - " In Bahrain I could pass 3 cars at the start. This is motivating. I am learning a lot and it is going better and better."

As well as this- "The Minardi team is the best place to start your F1 career. You can learn a lot and the team members are very friendly and professional. Paul is a fantastic motivator."

Go you good thing!!!!!!
  • ok, it's clear both of them are good steerers, both of them have some sponsors...

lets offer them both a second year now, so we can finally have some consistency in our team. Thats what we need, (and a major sponsor) to move forward!
  • I'm with you - however questions still loom about PF's funding....
  • i am worried about reliability....
    there will be not enough testing...
    we cannot sacrifice all the reliability in search of more power. (Look at Honda!)
    I'd rather have an unreliable yet fast car, than a slow but reliable car anyday. You can solve unreliability issues, but speed costs money.
  • ok, it's clear both of them are good steerers, both of them have some sponsors...

lets offer them both a second year now, so we can finally have some consistency in our team. Thats what we need, (and a major sponsor) to move forward!
    Sounds like a plan :D
  • Sounds like a plan indeed,

I love it when a plan comes together!