Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Autosport boost for Minardi

Exec Editor Anthony Rowlinson writes about RBR, its elan, its new motorhome and how it's everyone's New Favourite Team. Then ...

"All the noise and excitement was a world away from life at the quieter end of the pitlane, where everyone's Other Favourite Team, Minardi, also had something to shout about (albeit quietly) for once. It had a new car, its first for four years, and for the first time since 2002, it resembled its contemporaries. Sad to report that the PS05 on this, its race debut, didn't have the speed to match its looks, but as Chief Engineer Andy Tilley pointed out, miracles are in short supply.

Listening to his sane assessment of the car's potential and of the labours that went into its creation, provided a timely reality check. There's little high life for these boys away from the endless, often thankless, slog that keeps them in the game.

It's easy to lose Minardi in the hubbub around the glam new arrivals; easy to forget Imola '05 was its 325th GP. But the competitive flame burns here just as bright as it does in the ritzier end of town; it's just that Minardi's biggest score this year would be to beat Jordan to ninth place in the world championship, not fight for race wins or world titles. Forget the glitz (or lack of it); Minardi's a race team like any other. No bull."

Forza Anthony! (his regular mugshot was taken outside a Minardi garage)

Comments

• No Bull alright! Nice job Mr Rowlinson.
  • For the first time I have written to the mag:

"Bravo Anthony Rowlinson for heading down the 'quieter' but more friendly end of the pitlane.

Minardi may be a small team but they've got a big heart and, despite the DNFs, I was delighted to be at Imola to support them at their home race during their 20th anniversary season.

Although we were outnumbered by fans for 'The Other Italian Team', Minardi supporters from around the world converged on Imola and we shouted our loudest.

The test times for the new car don't look bad and that's down to incredible dedication from the whole team; keeping the independent spirit alive on a tiny budget.

Forza Autosport for crediting that and Forza Minardi!

Regards, Simon Vigar.
    London.

PS you know you want to support Minardi! Join us at forzaminardi.com

\\

if published the last bit will probably be cut.

[Edited on 29/4/2005 by viges]
  • I think Viges is on to something. GCM told me that one of the main things we can do is to contact as many media outlets and spread the word - as even the italian press is ignoring Minardi.

What do tyou think Viges - a FM.com email barrage prudent or not?
  • to contact as many media outlets and spread the word - as even the italian press is ignoring Minardi
    For starters Mr. Jones could have granted me access to the first test at Mugello so I wouldn't have to crawl to a hole in a fence to gain access to the circuit to capture some action on track... I even offered him aproval of the pictures I would send to the agencies. Hopefully next time, he'd know by now it's no use saying 'no' te me :cool:
  • So, where are yesterday's and the day before's pics then Selespeed ???;)
  • Everyone now knows what the new car looks like. No scoop, no Sele.... Besides, it's better that there's no image of the tango between Nissany and Albers. ;)
  • Bravo Mr Rowlinson and Mr Vigar.

Doesn't Rowlinson also write for F1Racing magazine?
  • Yes, Autosport and F1 Racing are published by the same group, Haymarket. There's much 'cross pollenation' - also with Motor Sport (hope you're sending some old prints, Murph).
    Nigel Roebuck, Mark Hughes, Adam Cooper, Anthony Rowlinson, Matt Bishop, etc. write for all of them. Autosport is the only weekly of the three.

Quig, I did think about providing the email address for Autosport but, on balance, I think they'd probably resent a deluge. That's just my hunch.
  • Adam Cooper also does stories for one of our local fortnightly mags, Australasian Motorsport News.

• Quig, I did think about providing the email address for Autosport but, on balance, I think they'd probably resent a deluge. That's just my hunch.
    Right on - that is exactly why I asked. Quality instead of quantity.
  • An edited version of my letter was published under the headline WE LOVE MINARDI. As predicted, no mention of the website, I'm afraid.
  • doesn't matter, they know we're here now. They may come trawling every now and then.

Once again, good work digger.
  • What issue is the letter in viges?
  • What did they edit out?
  • It's in this week's Autosport.

First sentence cut, website reference cut and my Forza payoff was cut to ... Forza.