Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

More New Qualifying Ideas...

From http://www.gp2003.com/features/features.php?lang=uk&lastpoll=&id=168&mode=detail&year=2005

The teams discussed with Bernie Ecclestone about a new qualifying system. Bernie has realized that the current format, despite the fact that it was his idea, does not work. Bernie now wants to step back into the past with an hour session, but there are differences to the old 12 lap format. Each driver gets two sets of tyres and if he chooses not to drive in the first 30 minutes, he loses one set. Also, he will need to start the race with the tyre he had on when the fastest laptime was recorded.

However, the 9 teams from the anti-Ferrari club came up with another system. All cars on track, no refuelling or tyre changes allowed for the entire session until the start of the race. After 15 minutes, the last 5 cars must drop out, the same procedure repeated after the next 15 minutes. Then there would be a shoot out with the 10 best cars for the next 20 minutes. The ones who dropped out early have less TV time, but would have the advantage of less worn rubber and more fuel on board at the start of the race. As usual no agreement was reached on either format.

Any comments whether either of these ideas would work or not.

Comments

• However, the 9 teams from the anti-Ferrari club came up with another system. All cars on track, no refuelling or tyre changes allowed for the entire session until the start of the race. After 15 minutes, the last 5 cars must drop out, the same procedure repeated after the next 15 minutes. Then there would be a shoot out with the 10 best cars for the next 20 minutes. The ones who dropped out early have less TV time, but would have the advantage of less worn rubber and more fuel on board at the start of the race. As usual no agreement was reached on either format.
    This is an interesting Idea. However we would be back to the boring Sunday pre race where no on track action occurs. Me I say scrap qualifing and use a reverse grid from the previous GP result. Hey Minardi's would get there share of Poles!?
  • I think they shouldn't chance anything, Bernie picked this new format of qually its blown up in his face now he got to ive with it after the fans said at the atart it wont fuckin work. Did he listen???

[Edited on 1/5/2005 by AudioMove]
  • [quote]However, the 9 teams from the anti-Ferrari club came up with another system. All cars on track, no refuelling or tyre changes allowed for the entire session until the start of the race. After 15 minutes, the last 5 cars must drop out, the same procedure repeated after the next 15 minutes. Then there would be a shoot out with the 10 best cars for the next 20 minutes. The ones who dropped out early have less TV time, but would have the advantage of less worn rubber and more fuel on board at the start of the race. As usual no agreement was reached on either format.
    This is an interesting Idea. However we would be back to the boring Sunday pre race where no on track action occurs. Me I say scrap qualifing and use a reverse grid from the previous GP result. Hey Minardi's would get there share of Poles!? [/quote]

Bad idea if you ask me. I mean, teams like us will finish on the back on the grid anyway. So this way we get close to no TV coverage, and still not a great chance to score points even though we have better tyres.
  • Why don't they try this fantastic idea of qualifying over a sixty minute period with 12 laps for each driver!
  • Bring back the 2003 format. I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it.
  • What about combining the 12 laps in the hour on saturday qualifying with the first 10 going to a sunday morning top 10 shoot out? This would give the sunday schedule a boost while going back to a format before the knee-jerk anti-Schui formats. And all sessions can be low fuel runs.

Tyre compounds used in qualifying must be the same type as used in the race. No specially developed qualifying tyres allowed.

Changing tyres during a race should be allowed as well.
  • Ah stuff it..

Who draws the short straw....
  • Roll up roll up, grab your tickets, the lottery draw for qualifying is about to begin
  • How about two one hour sessions. One on Friday and one on Saturday. Unlimited laps, and the fastest time from either session takes pole...

It worked for 45 fucking years, there was no reason to change it!
  • I agree with brooksey. Also bring back the warm up on sunday. Then races will get more interesting.
  • And now Bernie has a proposal:

Test on every friday of a GP-weekend for 5 hours and have 10 test "days" during the season.
    If you want more test "days" you may not test on the GP-Friday.
  • have the one lap qualifyng session on the saturday, and the order of this is determined by the times from the practice sessions over the weekend. As a result more interest will be on the practice sessions.

If there is TV demand for practice sessions, they can then split up the saturday free practice sessions and bring the 4th practice session (normally from 10:15am - 11am) forward to around 12pm, so there is a 15 minute gap between the end of this session and the start of qualifying.

another thing is to hjave the morning saturday session extended from 45 minutes to 1 hour, and cut back the second session still held just before qualofying to 30 minutes, so more intense\packed action would occur.

• How about two one hour sessions. One on Friday and one on Saturday. Unlimited laps, and the fastest time from either session takes pole...

It worked for 45 fucking years, there was no reason to change it!

I agree, but something has to be in place so they have to run some laps in the first 30 minutes, the wasted first half was the only thing I didn't like about the old way.