Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Clarification on thetyre regs

A team is not allowed to change a flat spotted tyre. They can only change a deflated tyre. And then only that tyre may be changed. No fuel may be added at the same time.
Its the drivers duty to conserve the tyre. So if the tyre is deemed dangerous, one either cuts one's pace to an acceptable level or one retires the car.
Its interesting to note that Bridgestone wanted track temperatures up to 50 degrees centigrade to maximise their performance. They got only 40. Things have changed. Bibendum in order to secure the championship have gone marginal on compounds and told the teams to deal withit. Hence flat spooting is a problem for Michelin rather than the Harder Bridgestones

Comments

• Hence flat spooting is a problem for Michelin rather than the Harder Bridgestones
    But didn't BStone develop "softer" tyres for the American races !?!?!
  • If they have a flat spot on the tyre, they should just come in. And let the team puncture it.

That way they could change it.
  • Yeah right !!!!:rolleyes:
  • With Ral's accident last year, i think it's a bit silly/stupid having tyres that "may" or "may-not" be suspect. Will this ruling come to an end when someone is 6ft under.

P.S. Look how many fingers were pointed at Ayrton Sennas death
  • Without wanting to go over the science of Senna'a accident. That accident was not diresctly related to tyres. It was a combination of factors, many of which were due to the fact that the cars had exceeded the capacity of the tracks to contain them.
    The basis of Senna's accident was believed to be down to:
    1)Prolonged running behind a slow safety car causing tyre pressures to fall
    2) Debris on track from Lehto's accident?
    3) Reducing the ride height of the Williams to gain more downforce
    4) Cars running flat bottoms, as opposed to stepped bottoms
    5) Bumps on the Tamburello causins Senna's car to Sledge( and lose downforce) into the bend and hit the wall
    6) Presumed steering failure?
    Senna' accident had nothing to do with tyre failure.
  • I thought the tyre rule was "a deflating or damaged tyre". It's then up to the stewards to decide is the tyre was damaged sufficiently to warrant a change.
  • I dont think Piston Broke was referring to tyre failure specific, just how when someone does die from an accident how it's suddenly everyone elses fault. If someone were to crash and be killed due to a tyre failure, the FIA would no doubt point the blame at the tyre manufacturers for making unsafe tyres, rather than the stupid rules in the first place.
  • That's the point I was trying to get across Brooksey, thanks.
    Just think what Ralfie will be thinking heading into the main straight as bits of tyres are shreading off and hitting his helmet,... I bet it won't be last nights roast dinner.
  • Yes but we've had tyre failures before in F1. Its the nature of the sport. The FIA have not stood idly by. The have instigated chassis changes to protect drivers and track changes to protect the spectators. Its ironic that everyone's getting anal about the one tre rule and Raikonen's accident, but we saw a similar circumstance at Spa last year when Button took out the Minardi.
    It all boils down to a duty of care lieing with not just the FIA, but the teams and tyre suppliers as well. Hence the FIA's clarification to tyre manufacturers not to run marginal on compounds and constructions if it compromises safety.
  • Yeah right !!!!:rolleyes:
    It doesn't say the damage has to occur on the track ;-)

Might as well damage it yourself.