Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Silly season 2006

Is the Silly Season starting already??
A lurking Piquet
Nelson Piquet Jr was lurking around Minardi for most of Thursday in Monte Carlo and team sources say that the Brazilian, who is currently racing in GP2 wants to try to break into F1 next year. Minardi will probably have seats available as team boss Paul Stoddart makes no bones about the fact that he will take the drivers who have the money he needs to keep the team running in 2006. The word on the street is that the going rate for a Minardi drive in 2006 is around $6m, depending on the Euro-dollar exchange rate at any given moment.
Source: Grandprix.com

Comments

• Just as long as he brings some big Brazillian dollars with him. The question then is, who goes? I'd hate to see either of the two young blokes leave, but we need cash.
  • I would love to see Piquet Sr. and Piquet Jr. driving for Minardi.
    Who would outpace the other according to you?
  • I say Scott Speed and the US money that SHOULD come with it.
  • I'm still saying: Minardi, take a woman.

There should be one fast enough, and even if she's a little slower that wouldn't weigh up against the money and publicity she brings in.

But oh well... The silly season is starting early this year ;)

[Edited on 25/5/2005 by Stan]
  • Young super Swede Alx Danielsson met Paul Stoddart and the Minardi team during the Monaco GP, on Stoddart's initiative.

There should be one fast enough
    Danika Patrick ????
  • My vote goes to Danica!!

• Scott Speed would be a super signing. Not only a driver who comes in because of the publicity and the money (but it's very important), but he's a good driver as well. And the publicity and the sponsorship possibilities from having an American driver in F1 again would be huge...

There should be one fast enough, and even if she's a little slower that wouldn't weigh up against the money and publicity she brings in.
    Yes, let's hire mediocre driver and exploit them because they're different in some way, get a heap of attention and money promoting the driver, all the while they're tooling around making a fool of themself running stone motherless last and doing no justice to the minority group they're now an ambassador for. :rolleyes:

Or, we could hire someone because they're a very capable driver who also brings sponsorship.

[Edited on 26/5/2005 by FlyingPanda]
  • Any Driver should be hired because they make the team more competitive.

Because Minardi are 'underfunded' sometimes this will mean that a driver bringing money will have to be employed.

The fastest driver in the world can't go anywhere without "wheels" Etc.

If a woman driver can generate the required sponsership income or speed then great! - if not get someone who can!!

We are suposeed to be a race team that should be our only concern.
  • Yes, let's hire mediocre driver and exploit them because they're different in some way, get a heap of attention and money promoting the driver, all the while they're tooling around making a fool of themself running stone motherless last and doing no justice to the minority group they're now an ambassador for. :rolleyes:[/quote]

You start implying that a woman would make an idiot of herself. I don't think that has to be true at all. There are a few fast women around (right?)

And even if she would make a fool out of herself, who cares. Minardi would earn the money it so desperately needs, and can fire her at the end of the season.

We'll be driving at the back next season with or without a woman.
  • There are a few fast women around (right?)
    I can remember a few but none of them could drive for shit.
  • Is the door still open for Button to go to Williams? Seeing the way Webber and Heidfeld are going at the moment, I dont think so! Buttons only chance is BMW ditching Williams for Sauber - in which case we could possibly see SuperNick go back to Sauber (following BMW) and Button alongside Webber at Williams Cosworth...but would he want to?
  • You start implying that a woman would make an idiot of herself. I don't think that has to be true at all. There are a few fast women around (right?)
    I'm not being chauvinistic, I'm just drawing conclusions from the facts. There doesn't appear to be any female drivers of F1 caliber out there at this point in time.

Sanna Pinola, has anyone heard a thing about her since she won the Nordic F3 championship in 2001?
    Milka Duno has had the occasional win in Prototypes,
    Danica Patrick had two seasons in Formula Atlantic with the top team, failed to win a single race, is now racing in an amateur category somewhere.
    Katherine Legge did in her first F. Atlantic race what Patrick couldn't do in two years. A hope for the future, but too early to throw her in the deep end.

[Edited on 27/5/2005 by FlyingPanda]
  • get danica Patrick and Sarah Fisher and sign up Maybelline as title sponser

Maybelline Minardi Cosworth:

"maybe she was born with it, maybe its maybelline!"

and get keisa in as the third woman driver.....

• "Danica Patrick had two seasons in Formula Atlantic with the top team, failed to win a single race, is now racing in an amateur category somewhere. "

Hasn't she just qualified fourth for the Indy 500???

Give her a drive on Friday at the USGP.
  • "Danica Patrick had two seasons in Formula Atlantic with the top team, failed to win a single race, is now racing in an amateur category somewhere. "

Hasn't she just qualified fourth for the Indy 500???
    I stand by my comment.
  • It's still Indy.

You would not be able to qualify.

• I think most of us would make the seat a little stinky, if you catch my drift.
  • from todays Autosport -
    Danica Patrick will have the Formula One paddock following her progress at the 89th Indianapolis 500 this Sunday with interest.

The 23-year-old Rahal/Letterman IRL driver is in a realistic position to win the event, after becoming the highest-qualified woman, starting the race from fourth in what is considered the most dominant car of the field.

"I am going to be cheering for Danica Patrick," said BAR-Honda driver Jenson Button, who had been acquainted with Patrick since she raced in England, in Formula Ford.

"Anything can happen," Button added. "I haven't seen her for ages but I used to be friends when we were racing. I have always looked at her progress ever since.

"She raced a few years younger than me so she was always behind in her career, but she had done a great job. I am not saying that just because she is a girl, she has done a great job."

But the question every journalist is asking, is can Patrick make it into Formula One?

1995 Indy 500 winner Jacques Villeneuve, whom Patrick lists as her role model, sounded a note of caution about her prospects.

"If she could manage Formula One, media-wise that would be the best thing that could ever happen. That would be great," he said. "But driving on an oval, and driving on a road course or mainly in Formula One, physically is not the same thing.

"We train like maniacs, or I train like a maniac, and Formula One is physical. In every sport, as soon as it becomes physical, there is a difference between a man and a woman. That's just the way it is," said Villeneuve.

"Formula One gets really, really physical. I think it would start making a difference. That doesn't mean she couldn't do well, It's always worth a try.

"But it will be a lot harder for a female than for a male because physically it is harder. That doesn't mean she can't do it. I'm not saying 'Oh, no way let's not bother.'"

Jackie Stewart somewhat disagreed with the Canadian.

"We need an American, and to have a woman in addition to that is pretty spectacular," he said. "If she does (win Indy), she will be a superstar in America.

"But it's too early to say (about Formula One). She did very well on one day...but she's got to win races as well. It's not just a question of doing the occasional good performance.

"It's nothing to do with strength, it's to do with your ability to put yourself into something, totally connect with it, not give any compromise and whether its a woman or a man really doesn't matter as far as I am concerned," he added.

"There is nothing to stop a woman doing it."
  • I think oznomad might have the plan if she does good in the race let her have the 3rd car at Indy, plenty of money, plenty of publicity (of a good kind for once) and see how she goes.......
  • If my memory serves me correct, wasn't she runner up to Anthony Davison at a Brit FFord festival a few years back?

And I think she's been in the top five in all the quali sessions as well. Give her a run, what can it hurt?
  • Sounds good but is there time enough to get her the proper papers? Super liscense etc.
  • Should be plenty of time before Indy all she would need is a cxouple fo decent tests, Bernie would ensure no one objected to the application.

Just down to you to find some money in the USA, Emmett:D
  • If they just give her a demo run, does she need a superlicence, or if she can come up with some funds, why not go to the trouble of getting her the licence? Bobby Rahal and/or David Letterman might front up with some cash. We might get her and Stoddie on the Letterman show. Love him or hate him, it'd be good exposure for the team in the US. Start the talks before the Indy 500 so we've got our foot in the door before anybody else. Invite her, Rahal and Letterman to the CanadianGP, give her a chance to meet some fo the mechanics, she could then travel to Indy with the team. Do I have to think of everything. Somebody get this off to Paul or Graham Jones ASAP. I'm starting to think I'm in the wrong job here.

At the same time if might give one of our boys a chance to run a few laps in the new car as well.

Didn't McLaren do a similar thing a few years back with some other sheila?

[Edited on 27/5/2005 by oznomad]
  • Are you joking or is the Letterman from the racing team really David Letterman from TV ????????
    Didn't McLaren do a similar thing a few years back with some other sheila?
    Sarah Fischer
    TAG Heuer had a great commercial with Tiger Woods swinging a ball in Monaco and Sarah racing the ball in the McLaren !!!!
  • Same Letterman.

Yes - they let a broad run the mc BUT she baloon footed it around for parade laps only.
  • She was on Letterman the night before last.

looked a bit awkward in the high heels - should've stuck to racing boots. ;)
  • I think oznomad might have the plan if she does good in the race let her have the 3rd car at Indy, plenty of money, plenty of publicity (of a good kind for once) and see how she goes.......

I'm sure she could bring plenty of money and publicity.

The main thing is that we need someone in the third car and soon. Preferably with money and some experience.
  • What's the latest with the Wills?

Any chance that they can find some money??