Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

The end for Michelin

This fiasco must be placed at Michelin's door. I think they will be shown the door. One tyre formula achieved.

Comments

• This is one of the few times I am happy we have B stones this year!

Keep it on the track boys!
  • Hardly. It's not an issue of performance but one of safety, the responsibility for this is squarely at the door of the FIA, the Michelin teams CANNOT send out the cars, the liability makes it impossible. Max had the power to ensure all cars participated, to just state that they they should check up is in la la land and Max knows it. With the endless events surrounding the Senna disaster Max also knew that what happened was the only possible outcome. The events preceding this situation- ie: Michelin fucking up, should have been dealt with post race. A chicane should've been added and if need be the Michelin teams excluded after the event. They just don't give a turd about anyone, least of all the poor shits you paid for passes and were held up by the local hotels.

Nothing to cheer here Emmo, 6 cars and Minardi still isn't cracking the front page of the leaders on the on-screen graphic.
  • Don - yes this is a bummer of a race as far as F1 goes - or is it? Everyone knows the rules - even if the 1 set of tire rule is dumb as hell - and they are choosing to pull out.

I was hard to PS during the whole OZ debacle. The down under types still have not forgiven me but I am going to be solid on this one.

The Michelin runners had a probelm - an F1 course or the rules (flying rubber in from Europe) would not be fair to those who cam e prepared.

BTW - I made mention that a little birdie told me some positive things - although he did not mention this or even hinted at this - but I believe he knew there was an issue with the French rubber. Just speculation but if he knew ....
  • DST what have you been smoking. Its got nothing to do with the FIA. Michelin took the gamble that they were going to sacrifice everything for performance.
    Their tyre philosphy is cheap engineering. A super soft tyre wall aids the chassis' suspension and allows the team to run even lower ride heights. Problem is the tyre walls can't withstand high speed loads.
    To compound their error they did not even bring a backup tyre to Indianopolis!
  • No doubt that Michelin screwed up, but this race could (and should) have been saved for the sake of the fans. What happened today was just stupidity by the FIA even if it was Michelins fault.
  • No doubt that Michelin screwed up, but this race could (and should) have been saved for the sake of the fans. What happened today was just stupidity by the FIA even if it was Michelins fault.
    I agree. I would just have let Michelin get new tyres from their factories, and at the same time I would have given them a penalty so big they would have had to puke.

By the way it was interesting to hear that PS actually had a deal with that Kolles guy saying that they wouldn't race either. After Jordan didn't go of the track, Minardi obviously didn't either,

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Stan]
  • I think Michellin will be very french and quit the sport at the end of the year.
  • So what would your solution be Petrol, given the facts as they were?
    As I see it the FIA totally abdicated any responsibility to regulate the sport. A simple, 'You may race on the replacement tires or with a chicane but the results will be subject to protest and sanction.' Everyone races, the fans get thier moneys worth and the results are most likely exactly the same as they were at the end of this disgrace.

At the end of the day SOME thought to the folks who paid their own money to watch teams spend other peoples funds needed to be paid attention to. Unfortunately the FIA showed exactly what it thought of it's fans today.
  • The chicane would have been an odd solution. Altering the track just moments before the race would have been a security risk in itself.

What I would have liked to see is Michelin being allowed to flow in new tires. In exchange, the points for the first six positions would have been awarded to the Bridgestone runners in the order they finished the race. Places 7-8 would have went to the Michelin-shod teams. The PR disaster would have been avoided and Michelin penalized at the same time.
  • The FIA regulates the 'sport', not individual races.

The FIA Race Director has a responsibility to officiate a race. FIA appointed stewards rule on the rules.

Tyre companies screw up.

Do not blame TOIT, Jordan, Minardi or my Auntie Beryl.

PS I was at Barca 2002 and no-one quit in sympathy for Minardi then.

• The FIA Race Director has a responsibility to officiate a race. FIA appointed stewards rule on the rules.
    Exactly, and the rule should have been ruled on to allow participation for the sake of the 250 million people watching and 100,000 who actually plunked down cash to be there, the potential penalties could have been handled after the race. It's really quite simple. If the FIA had no influence they wouldn't have been asked about the chicane or the new tires.
  • Should we now see if Bibendum take a more conservative approach to their tyres for the reast of the season?

Can TOIT resurect their season on the back of an over-compensating Micellin?

The rest of this season could get very strange.

• PS I think that race put to bed any thoughts of Minardi racing Jordan. At least Minardi secured next years travel monies.
  • I agree. We are level with Jordan on the single lap, but a lap far away from them in a race.

But 7 points, however we got them (but it was not our fault if the Michelin teams were not safe) is something we had not achieved since 1991, and it has to be considered extraordinary anyway :D:)
  • Michelin have failed their teams.

good thing we went back to bridgestone.

will boost us in the future as Bridgestone were able to get valuable data on their tyres. So not only was it a Race but also a test session.

Wasn't fair that fans threw things at the cars. They weren't at fault. They were totally innocent. If I had gone I would have stayed and still enjoyed the race. Might watch it again later today.
  • IF the chicane was to be built to ease the Michelin rubber, then why wouldn't they keep on developping on-the-edge-tyres ??????
    When at a next race a similar incident occurs, they would be able to request a change in circuit again, wouldn't they ????????
  • All these threads are confusing. Surely we're not unravelling too!

dst, if you so wish, please see my post in THE PLAYERS thread.

http://www.forzaminardi.com/modules.php?name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=1012