Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

New Home for USGP?

What about this Emmo?
An American circuit has vowed to stage the United States grand prix if Indy says no for 2006. Following last month's six-car fiasco, Bruton Smith said he would chat to Bernie Ecclestone if Indianapolis chief Tony George slams the door.
For the F1 supremo, though, there's a catch -- billionaire Bernie, 74, would have to lever open his wallet. "Bless his heart," Smith, promoter of a NASCAR race at his Californian (Sonoma) road circuit, told the Winston-Salem Journal.

Ecclestone is reportedly worth up to $3.7 billion. Smith added: "He'll have to spend it. He ought to be able to make a deal with me. Money talks."

Mr. E, though, is likely to snigger at the 'offer'. Although desperate to crack the US market, an F1 race costs a promoter around $15m a pop.

Comments

• He won't even make it past Bernie's secretary.
  • Have not heard anything - but being that Sears Point is only 39 miles away I should be able to find something out.

This would be great!
  • I don't think Sears is long enough. I don't think Laguna is either.
  • Sears - the real Sears not that bullshit NASCAR short course is 3.12 some odd miles. Seca was lengthened to attract the Moto GP - formerly called F1 bikes. Both are long enough.

But Sears has the most God awful in and out - makes the brit GP look easy to get to.
  • I heard the name "Sonoma" ?!?
  • Sears Point is the real name of the track which IS located in Sonoma, California.

http://www.infineonraceway.com/
  • I honestly think if they move it, it will go back to Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. I believe that was the early 80's. Other than that, I can not think of another track that would work...... unless they did a street circuit in St Pete or Miami.

• ANYTHING other than stupid parking lot courses or the typical US street course....grrrrrrrrr

Put the race on a proper road race circuit and watch F1 in the US come alive.
  • If I remember right the minimum track length is 4 kilometers. That makes Sears barely legal (haha barely legal) at 4.11 kilometers and Laguna too short at 3.82.

Sears also would not be a fun track to watch F1 at. :(
  • Not fun? Are you off your rocker? Good views from all over - well the heat could be screwed as there is not one tree in sight but other than that...
  • I didn’t say it would be good if it were back at Caesars, I just think that LV is the most plausible place monetarily. Even though I can not think of a single person(cough cough Bernie and Max cough)in F1that is interested in money.

What about Road Atlanta or Barber Motorsports Park
  • I didn’t say it would be good if it were back at Caesars, I just think that LV is the most plausible place monetarily. Even though I can not think of a single person(cough cough Bernie and Max cough)in F1that is interested in money.

What about Road Atlanta or Barber Motorsports Park
  • Not fun? Are you off your rocker? Good views from all over - well the heat could be screwed as there is not one tree in sight but other than that...
    I mean the track itself. Who wants to watch F1 cars follow eachother around it?
  • Going into the carousel would be cool and if you got a good run off that corner (downhill off camber left hand) you could have a good passing possibil;ity at the end of that straight.

Same goes for the run through the esses - a good run off this brings you to passing heaven. Possibly into 4 as well.
  • Turn 13 (?) would have to be widened if anyone is going to have the balls to overtake there. Otherwise the overtaken driver would practically have to wait until the overtaker is completely through to get on his horse, unless he wants to meet a wall. :(

Still better than Indy, though.
  • Does it have banking ???

It would be a good opportunity for Minardi to get 7 points again !!!:P