Existing Users: Because of an update to the forum software you will need to reset your password. Please use the "Forgot?" link on the sign in form to do so. If that doesn't work, send me an email at feedback@forzaminardi.com and I'll sort you out!

Now we could have a Turk driving at Istanbul

From Autosport

Austrian Patrick Friesacher is likely to lose his Minardi Formula One drive next week because his sponsorship money has dried up.

"Patrick being replaced at the next race is a strong possibility because of sponsorship money not being paid," Minardi boss Paul Stoddart told Reuters on Friday.

The Australian entrepreneur said three drivers were in the frame to replace the 24-year-old and a decision would be taken early next week before the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

He gave no names but the two most likely candidates are Jordan's Dutch reserve driver Robert Doornbos and Hungarian Zsolt Baumgartner.

Were Doornbos to get the drive, Minardi would have a double Dutch line-up with compatriot Christijan Albers in the other car.

Baumgartner, the first Hungarian to race in the Formula One Championship, drove for Minardi last season and scored a point at the US Grand Prix.

Friesacher, who raced in the now-defunct Formula 3000 junior series last year, secured his Minardi seat in February after Denmark's Nicolas Kiesa was unable to come up with enough sponsorship.

He would otherwise have been the reserve driver.

The Austrian scored three points at Indianapolis when just six cars took part following the withdrawal of the seven Michelin teams because of fears about the safety of their tyres on the final banked corner.

Turkish Driver

Otherwise Friesacher's Formula One career has been unremarkable with Minardi, the slowest and poorest team on the starting grid. He has not finished six of the 11 races.

There have been problems with his financial backing for more than a month, with Minardi demanding that all of their drivers bring in sponsorship.

Stoddart said Minardi had also had discussions about possibly linking up with a Turkish driver at the country's inaugural Grand Prix in Istanbul next month.

"We have talked to a Turkish driver and if a commercial deal is concluded, we would be proud to run him in Turkey," the Australian said.

The deal could involve a demonstration run or, less likely because of superlicence constraints, a Friday test slot as a third driver. A race drive is out of the question.

The only Turkish driver currently at a high enough level in single-seaters is Can Artam, who competes in the GP2 series that has replaced Formula 3000 as the main Formula One support category at race weekends.

Comments

• Put the guy in the 3rd car pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee, en let the serious work be done by a serious driver.
  • Who ever we get, just make sure they are resonably quick!!!

I would prefer Zsolt in the car if he can get the money as he is used to the team.
  • Patrick Friesacher will probably not be in the second Minardi next week, unless his sponsors come up with money which is needed to keep the young Austrian in the car. Minardi needs money to keep going and our sources say that the team has been very patient, hoping that Friesacher's backers would come up with the cash but this looks to be less and less likely to happen and so the chances are that the drive will go to Jordan test driver Robert Doornbos. This will be another blow to Jordan, as the Dutchman is currently paying the team to be its third driver at each Grand Prix.

This is not a bad move for Minardi as Doornbos obviously has talent although it is not going to make for an easy atmosphere inside the team as Christijan Albers and Doornbos do not form a mutual appreciation society.

We hear that Zsolt Baumgartner is possibly in the picture and that there is another driver who could come up with the cash but who has problems with his Superlicence.
    It's all over the web now. Every newssite is reporting it.
  • Bring back Zsolt in the second car!
  • as we've heard today that is a possibility

local politics in Carinthia is hotting up. Haider claims he has given the money as outlined in the contract and Frank has no idea where it has gone. Haider paid 2 million US$ (out of a total 5 million) the rest was coughed up by Remus and they are also adamant that they paid everything necessary.

Frank meanwhile "is not able to say anything as it would get him into trouble, he had a non written agreement with sponsors that are not being adhered to."
  • Tomas Frank, Zsolt's manager and Hungarian race promoter?
  • yes, he's also Friesacher's manager

re: Turkish driver. A guy I play football with at Bath Uni is quite a big stint in Turkish racing. Last year, he did a placement with Renault F1. He races in Formula 3 as well. Jason Linden-Tahincioglu if that rings a bell to some of you guys who follow F3.
  • which should be F Renault, not F 3, sorry
  • A Turkish driver in Formula 1, well it would be great especially for the Turkish formula 1 fans here in Turkey.
    hope Can make a deal with Stoddard, im sure turkish companies will be looking for sponsorship agreements.
  • yes, he's also Friesacher's manager
    Interssting fact. Seems he's kept good relationions with Mr. Stoddart.
  • Yes, Yes, I understadn it's all about the cash, so no one needs to tell me that if you reply. but let's look at this:

1. We need to get some consistancy with a driver to attract some more fans and develop a mutaual brand recognition for both driver and minardi.
    2. A driver who is locked into a longer term contract will begin to develop a better working relationship with the team so that communication is better on setting up the car.
    3. Zsolt is not only a good driver he's very very personable! He does well with personal interaction with the fans and he's not a pompous arrogant driver that, well, frankly, he's not like Jos. That can all be good for Minardi.

We should get Zsolt back and lock him down to a longer term contract once and for all. Then maybe we can fire the damn sponsership director at Minardi and find someone who actually does work. I'm going to start another thread on that topic.
  • Zsolt or a long contract with a new face?

anyway hope whoever comes to minardi seat would be fine
  • I've said before I like Zsolt. Zsolt could be the foundation for the longer term. Whatever the powers that be decide I think we need some continuity. In my opinion Zsolt would be a solid start
  • i also like zsolt but i think he has used his chance last season
    i mean Zsolt will not be a new face and dont think he's gonna bring an excitement. i knew he was the proud of hungary last season, but let the new drivers :)
  • I'm being self serving. he speaks excellent english. we need a driver like that to help F1 in the US. Someone with Kimi's command of English would not be desirable.;)
  • lol dont worry kimi is not the only one with a "desired" english. u know Fernando Alonso's english, the best ever :) :)
  • yea but fernando's accent works for the women in the US who think it's sexxy. Guys think F1 babes are hot. Sex sells. Kimi's accent, well, it's not really an accent as it's just monotone. Zsolt, he's got a good sense of humor and a wee bti of sarcasm when he speaks. very likable fellow
  • ....and had we locked alonso into a long term contract a few years back....what then?
  • lets say we locked? this doesnt make sence coz unfortunately we are not able to race with a competitive car :(
  • Alonso was on a long term contract to Minardi. GCM had to sell it to Briatore in 2001 so as to get the team prepared for the season while a buyer was sought. At least he ensured that Alonso would spend a year driving for the team.
  • yooks, this isn't going to degrade to a blame PS thread I hope.
  • I don't want to risk sounding like Minardifan2002 by stating the bloody obvious, but Zsolt is a second a lap too slow for the job. Personable, but what is that worth without speed?

2 fast guys should be in the race cars. A newcomer with money should be in the 3rd car. Zsolt should be in Nissany's job. Nissany should be working in the sponsor hunting department at Minardi, because his powers of persuasion must be mighty impressive to get someone to bankroll his little track days. Minardi's current commercial team should be doing something else.
  • Jos Verstappen? ;)

Sorry guys just couldn't resist. Just couldn't :D:D:D:hehe:
  • Tomas Frank, Zsolt's manager and Hungarian race promoter?
    The 1st part is not true. Frank used to be Zsolt's manager. Zsolt switched his manager at the beggining of the year because of some personal problem between Frank and Zsolt's father.
    Don't ask me what was the problem, I don't know... and this story is very mysterious .

Zsolt's new manager is Rick Gorne.

• Rick Gorne must have a lot of money, isn't he Monty's manager? He was AY's manager as well.
  • re: Turkish driver. A guy I play football with at Bath Uni is quite a big stint in Turkish racing. Last year, he did a placement with Renault F1. He races in Formula 3 as well. Jason Linden-Tahincioglu if that rings a bell to some of you guys who follow F3.
    He could be in with a shot, especially considering his father is the president of the Turkish Automobile Federation...

I'm assuming he's also related to the current Turkish F3 champion, Mert Tahincioğlu?
  • Can Artam may not be the best, its obvious he has lack of experience especially for a F1 car but he's a bright talent, and in my opinion give him a chance, doesnt matter he's the 2nd or 3rd driver he should have a chance, Zsolt and others had the chance before.
  • A demo drive? huh
    Jordan is allready there...